xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

Playing Audio On Skype?

I hope you guys all use skype, or at least know what skype is. I know that you can make free voice calls on skype, and there are also software to record your conversations on skype if you want to record them. But I was just wondering, is there a software or a program that I can use to play audio into skype so that my friends who are calling me can hear the audio, without me having to remove my speakers to make the audio play out loud so that my computer can pick it up from the outside?In other words, is it possible to play an audio file (like music on iTunes, for example) in my computer so that people that I am voice calling on skype can also hear it without me having to play it out loud from the outside of my computer?Because that would be awesome. It's so retarded if I had to take out my speakers to play some audio file really loud so that my friends can hear it. Number one, it just wrecks the quality of the audio, because of the stray sounds that the mic picks up (white noise), and its just so much more convenient.By the way, I use a mac, so this software would have to be mac compatible. Thanks, Nameless_ :)

Yes, you need a wire with a 3.5 mm audio plug on both ends. You plug the other end to the microphone input in your computer and you're done. Another option is of course to send the audio file, but that would just ruin all the fun, wouldn't it?Another option which I haven't tried on other platforms than Linux is configuring your stereo output to be your skype mic input.

Wow, that sounds really complicated. I have no idea what a 3.5mm audio plug is, or how to configure my stereo output to be my mic skype input. :/Oh well.That sucks. :P But anyways... I'll think I'll figure a way for it? Some one should invent something that can just do that for me to make my life easier, haha. :P

Wow, that sounds really complicated. I have no idea what a 3.5mm audio plug is, or how to configure my stereo output to be my mic skype input. :/Oh well.

That sucks. :P But anyways... I'll think I'll figure a way for it? Some one should invent something that can just do that for me to make my life easier, haha. :P

The plug I mentioned is the same as the one on your regular headphone, you know, the one you plug in to your computer to talk to girls and you don't want your mom to hear. Just get the wire with both ends the same, then connect your audio output to your microphone input (the green and pink holes somewhere in your box).

Which MAC model you are using ? depending on that it will be possible for rest of us to show you where is MC plug. You can even check mac related forums and blogs to know more about it. I doubt if people here use mac so often. but anyway your specific information will help getting answer.

Whether this is possible through the use of software alone would depend mostly on two things: whether or not Skype has the ability to choose what device you want for input and whether or not the system will allow it to switch devices in such a fashion (i.e. e.g. redirecting the Stereo Mix output device to the Microphone input device). If the core audio API of the Mac operating system does not allow for Skype to do this, then a hack may be required or an audio control utility that forces this change on other programs. I do not own a Mac, nor have i messed with one to this extent, so i cannot recommend you any programs. If this were Linux i would direct you to PulseAudio's device tools; if this were Windows XP or later, i'd be able to help too. If you are unable to find anything, then you may have to do what Baniboy suggested and get one of those cords with a 3.5mm jack on each end (i used to use one way back when before i figured out about Stereo Mix recording). Using this cord would be simple if your computer has ports on each end of the computer (i.e. front and back). You'd plug your headset in the back and the other cord in the front (assuming the system doesn't take input from only one source). If the system does not take input from multiple sources, then you may be finding yourself unplugging and plugging your head set quite often.

Wow... Truefusion. Simple language for dummies, please. :) I use a Mac. As in... the classic white one. My mac software is version 10.6.4. If that helps. There is no green or red holes in my computer, mainly because macs don't show it. My mac has an inbuilt microphone, so I never need to plug in my microphone... And I think I might have one of those jack thingies that you are talking about. Just have to find it. :) And I kinda get what Baniboy is saying... thats pretty smart! :) But like I said, I don't have a microphone because mine's inbuilt, and I'm not sure if theres a plug for plug in microphones. Also... if thats possible, does that mean I won't be able to hear anything? Because my audio output would be back into the audio input? @truefusion: What's Stereo Mix? Maybe I can get a software for mac or something. I found Hijack Pro where I can Hijack the system and record the conversations. I just don't know how to input sound from my computer to skype.

Wow... Truefusion. Simple language for dummies, please. :) I use a Mac. As in... the classic white one. My mac software is version 10.6.4. If that helps. There is no green or red holes in my computer, mainly because macs don't show it. My mac has an inbuilt microphone, so I never need to plug in my microphone... And I think I might have one of those jack thingies that you are talking about. Just have to find it. :)

And I kinda get what Baniboy is saying... thats pretty smart! :) But like I said, I don't have a microphone because mine's inbuilt, and I'm not sure if theres a plug for plug in microphones. Also... if thats possible, does that mean I won't be able to hear anything? Because my audio output would be back into the audio input?

If your Mac has a built-in microphone, then does it also have built-in speakers? If it doesn't have any green and red holes anywhere, not even ones with a microphone and speaker icon on top of it, then it would appear to me that you are forced to use software to get what you want. So, you can pretty much scratch the 3.5mm cord idea if that's the case.

@truefusion: What's Stereo Mix? Maybe I can get a software for mac or something. I found Hijack Pro where I can Hijack the system and record the conversations. I just don't know how to input sound from my computer to skype.

"Stereo Mix" is a common label for your primary output device. It is the common output device that the operating system routes all sound to so you can hear sound through your speakers or head set. "Stereo Mix" can also generally be found under input devices. Therefore if you tell audio recording programs to record from "Stereo Mix," you would record all sound that you would hear coming out of your speakers. Note that this label is mostly used under Windows; on other operating systems they may use more complex labels. You may find the lables "Internal Audio Stereo" and "Internal Audio Microphone" or a variation of these labels in other operating systems.

When you open Skype's Preferences window and choose "Audio" from the category list, what are all the options you have for "Audio Input"? If you are given more than one option, then you may have the ability to switch between output devices and input devices for "Audio Input" via Skype. Otherwise you may get lucky messing around with the operating system's audio settings.

Link

can somebody have the talkaide installed on my computer and watch my privet conversations ? how can I detect this on my computers specially in public computers?

...When you open Skype's Preferences window and choose "Audio" from the category list, what are all the options you have for "Audio Input"? If you are given more than one option, then you may have the ability to switch between output devices and input devices for "Audio Input" via Skype. Otherwise you may get lucky messing around with the operating system's audio settings.

Yes, it lets you choose Stereomix as an input but wouldn't it make your party hear her own voice along with your music and speech broadcast? Maybe something like 'Virtual Audio Cable' or similar software could work. I need to check it...