xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inea

How To Repair A Computer? Tutorial about a way to discover a component that causes problems.

My computer doesn't start.  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Options to repair a computer:1. unplug the computer2. press the on/off button during 30 seconds.3. plug the computer in4. start the computer5. if the bios opens, put the bios into default options.6. if possible set the bios to safe options.7. if the bios doesn't open, step 1.8. reset the bios.9. use a litte cap, change the cap on the little pins and let it stay there for 20 minutes.10. put the little cap back in its original position.11. try to start the computer.12. if no reaction it might help to remove the small main board battery for 20 minutes.13. sometimes it helps to keep the on/off button down for 2 minutes when the battery is removed.14. unplug the computer, open the computer, unplug all components from the main board and remove all components.15. attach to the main board: the processor, the processor cooler, the power unit and the cables to the speaker, on/off button and the button to reset the computer.16. use sufficient cooler material between the processor and the processor cooler.17. a drop with the size of a rice particle in the middle of the processor can be sufficient.18. try to start the computer again. that means plug in the electricity plug and press the on/off button.19. the main board should peep. This indicates that there is no memory card attached to the main board.20. sometimes the graphic card needs to be attached to the main board to get the main board working.21. if the computer peeps add a memory card22. make sure a replacement component works in another computer.23. replace the energy unit, the processor and the graphic card, if any, 1 by one by another component.23. make sure that the replacement components work in another computer again after the trial in the broken computer.24. place the components of the broken computer one after the other in a computer that works without the parts from the broken computer.25. these steps are ment to help to find out what component causes the problem.26. use a structured way of working to skip the possible problem causer 1 by 1.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

People would repair their computers based on the problem, so since you didn't say what the problem was, I'll show you steps on how to repair your computer in general.How I repair my computer:1. Turn off computer2. Dismantle it3. Put it in the trunk of the car4. Ask dad to drive me to the mall5. Ask dad to take computer to the repair person6. Ask repair person to repair computer7. ???8. PROFIT!

You missed the first step... Check the power cable and power socket is turned on. Check the switch on the back of the machine to ensure it is on. To test the lead pull it out the back of the computer then insert it slowly and wiggle it, you should hear a crackle as the electricity sparks. This means the lead and power is good.Next is the PSU. Check the power supply fan turns on when pressing the power button. If you are unsure then remove the PSU from the machine and remove the power lead, short circuit the psu connection to the main motherboard. Place a bent paperclip between the green and one of the black connectors (double check this, google it, dont try it, GOOGLE it!) this connector is the biggest of all. Connect up a cd drive or something to the power supply place it on a non conductive, non-flamable surface. Remove your hands and ensure nothing metallic or living is touching anything. Remove the plug from the wall then connect the psu to the lead. Step back and plug the lead into the wall. The PSU fan should spin up. If it does not double check you have connected the jumper paperclip correctly and connected the cd drive correctly and that the power is on and connected. If all of this is the case then the PSU is dead and you need a new one. If the PSU passes the test replace it into the machine unplug all drives and devices. Hard drive, CD drive. Turn on the machine. The motherboard should beep. If it beeps once shortly then the motherboard is fine and the computer should work. If it gives a series of beeps, a pattern or a long single beep then there is an error. Find your motherboard or BIOS name, probably stamped on the board somewhere or if you remember the logo when you turned the machine on in the past (The very first screen you see) google "BIOS/MB NAME bios beep codes" and you should find a table of beep codes, see which one corresponds with what you hear and then there is your problem.

If your computer or laptop start beeping, then this could help --> Computer Post ( copyright )

If your computer isnt functional... Start from the basics... Ram ... Try shifting it..

1 beep = Normal computer startup....

If u hear a constant beeeeeep its the graphic card tht has a problem...

If u hear a beep beep after evry 1 or 2 seconds.... Ram problems...

If u hear no beep but your computer powers up.... It could be your cpu... It may need to be replaced or just cleaned and stuck back in....

If u hear no beep but your computer powers up.... It could be your cpu... It may need to be replaced or just cleaned and stuck back in....

If trying to start the computer without a ram memory module and if the computer doesn't beep the probel can be caused for instance by the power supply, the processor, the electricity supply, a cable and the computer board. Processor issues occur but are very rare. Processors that are not attached the correct way into the processor socket of the computer board are more common.

This how to tutorial topic is ment to provide a general way to approach a computer when the computer doesn't work correctly. The main idea is to work according to a structure. The second idea is to approach each and every part of the computer on an individual base. The purpose is to find out if the computer part works correctly. If the specific computer part works correctly it can be skipped for being the part that prevents the computer from working in a correct way. This is the idea behind the tutorial. So the tutorial can be used for a lot of computer problems that are hard ware related.
Edited by inea (see edit history)

If the computer starts up without a ram memory module and without a beep it can be for instance the power supply, the processor, the electricity supply, a cable and the computer board. Processor issues occur but are very rare. Processors that are not attached the correct way into the processor socket of the computer board are more common.

Huh? Your PC won't even go to POST without RAM (meaning it wouldn't even start powering up). And incorrectly installed CPU's? There's no possible way to install it wrong. Either it locks down or it doesn't. If it's not locked down then it again wouldn't even start booting (as the CPU controls the POST).

If the PSU is dead then it wouldn't even light up, so again, wrong. Electricity supply would be the same way.

Please don't give out completely wrong information to people. It's going to hurt them more than it helps them.

Huh? Your PC won't even go to POST without RAM (meaning it wouldn't even start powering up). And incorrectly installed CPU's? There's no possible way to install it wrong. Either it locks down or it doesn't. If it's not locked down then it again wouldn't even start booting (as the CPU controls the POST).
If the PSU is dead then it wouldn't even light up, so again, wrong. Electricity supply would be the same way.

Please don't give out completely wrong information to people. It's going to hurt them more than it helps them.

Yeah, you are right friend, RAM is needed to perform POST operations..... and if RAM is absent or faulty then you will get to hear beep sounds, which in my case was three but, if I am not wrong then they differ with different manufacturers and products........

Actually, today, my PC stopped working suddenly which was due to one of loose ram, it wasn't fixed in the dimm slot rightly.....thank god i managed to get my pc working again otherwise would have ended up my vacation feeling bored without my pc :lol:

Yeah, you are right friend, RAM is needed to perform POST operations..... and if RAM is absent or faulty then you will get to hear beep sounds, which in my case was three

True, POST only checks the following CPU, Video and RAM and since all motherboards have built in video support then you don't need to plug a video card. After the initial POST cleared, manufacturers may introduce extended checks which on my side includes my USB extended sockets (the extra pins on the motherboard) and battery life check (CMOS battery).

but, if I am not wrong then they differ with different manufacturers and products........

True, each manufacturer maintains their own set of beep codes and are not required to compel to a global standard however they maintain a beep pattern that is almost identical to ones presented by IBM.

An example was this statement:

If u hear a beep beep after evry 1 or 2 seconds.... Ram problems...

I have 2 boards and the beep codes are

(Beep. Beep.... Beep. Beep....) RAM on board 1

(Beep... Beep........ Beep........ Beep... Beep........) RAM on board 2

NOTE: the dot represents interval approximately 1 sec each.

Huh? Your PC won't even go to POST without RAM (meaning it wouldn't even start powering up).

the point is that when the user tries to start the computer while the power plug is plugged in and the memory unit is not in its place the computer is designed to make the sound of a beep. if the little loud speaker attached to the main board of the computer doesn't make the sound of a beep it can be an indication that the computer main board is broken.