xisto Community
iGuest

Space Travel

There is more than one way to skin a cat,right? So instead of using the usual means of propulsion for space travel,How about pulling a craft through space. Larger bodies in space have more gravity,right.Why cant we just lock on a massive object somewere in space then use a gravity amplifier to pull us along?We would go fast,be using existing gravity that large mass has,plus would be making a beeline straight to destination without any veering like a dragster when it goes too fast,But being pulled is different.Is it possible to reach speed of light this way?

There is more than one way to skin a cat,right? So instead of using the usual means of propulsion for space travel,How about pulling a craft through space. Larger bodies in space have more gravity,right.Why cant we just lock on a massive object somewere in space then use a gravity amplifier to pull us along?We would go fast,be using existing gravity that large mass has,plus would be making a beeline straight to destination without any veering like a dragster when it goes too fast,But being pulled is different.Is it possible to reach speed of light this way?

a) There is no such thing as a 'gravity amplifier'
b ) Gravity is proportional to mass (not size).
c) No it is not possible to reach the speed of light in that (or any other) manner.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

Yeah, a gravity thingamabob just doesnt exist. I could say we could travel faster than light using an FTL-Transbobulator. Sure, we could. Except that device doesnt exist.And if you travel FTL (faster than light) you get shredded. Space is not empty. It is full of single atoms and other subatomic particles. Travel FTL, perhaps 3C (C being speed of light, hence 3 times the speed of light) and you hit so damn many of those atoms and particles a second that you get turned into Swiss cheese and dissolve into dust.If you want to go FTL you need to exit time/space completely and re-appear either by wormhole or extra dimensional travel (both pretty much the same really....) or as hollywood calls it "Teleportation".

c) No it is not possible to reach the speed of light in that (or any other) manner.

it's insteresting you believe what you just wrote and also claim to believe in the big bang theory at the same time. this would be contradictory to the physicists you worship.

Unless of course the laws of physics change within time/space ;)Some theories suggest this is the case and they claim to have some supporting evidence, I believe this was referenced on the newscientist.com site but im not 100% on where i read it....

Unless of course the laws of physics change within time/space ;)
Some theories suggest this is the case and they claim to have some supporting evidence, I believe this was referenced on the newscientist.com site but im not 100% on where i read it....

I'd be interested to see that. It would be a major change to physics if true....

It's only a theory of course based on observations which arent repeatable in a lab but here is the article:https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19429-laws-of-physics-may-change-across-the-universe

It's only a theory of course based on observations which arent repeatable in a lab but here is the article:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19429-laws-of-physics-may-change-across-the-universe

Ahh...thanks for that. I have actually seen this story before in another publication. The feeling then (and now) was that it is possibly interesting but way way too soon to be starting to rewrite anything. Most of the physicists I know are pretty sceptical about the findings, though obviously they cannot be dismissed. I think there are just too many ifs and buts at the moment to say anything other than it is 'interesting' :-)

It's certainly a long way away from complete but it is an interesting idea and if it turns out to be true, even on a small scale it will fundamentally change everything we thought we knew about the universe and might also mean that FTL travel is, was, or will be, possible somewhere and that really would open up a can of worms!