xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

Need Help Getting To Sleep.

I went to sleep a few hours ago (not sure how many). I awoke at 8:40pm. it is now 9:55pm. I want to get back to sleep until at least 6:00am. Any advice that doesn't involve drugs would help.

I went to sleep a few hours ago (not sure how many). I awoke at 8:40pm. it is now 9:55pm. I want to get back to sleep until at least 6:00am. Any advice that doesn't involve drugs would help.

Here's what I do when I can't sleep.

1. Take a nice hot bath/shower and use some nice smelling shampoo and/or soap.

2. Drink a warm cup of milk.

3. Lie down, put on your headset and listen to some mellow music.

4. Deep breathing and humming.

I hope this helps.

I also wanted to say that, when I can't sleep, just because I don't want to, but I need to, I try to turn on some boring movie, turn of lights and try to watch it until I get asleep :DAlso, I try to eat something for the night, to make my stomach work and it makes me a bit more sleepy :D

Hmmm. This looks interesting:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

good so you know the answer now :) i checked that site and contains a lot of good advices.
i spent half of my life or even more can't sleep what i usually do is, i read a book, i open the net working or reading something interesting and now i open the Xisto and post here and there ;) and listen to some soft music till i get tired.

or sometimes i have a better idea, i drink coffee and eat apples to wake me up completely and still without sleeping till the next day :D . and between, don't take this advice it will make you feel horrible :P .

good so you know the answer now :) i checked that site and contains a lot of good advices. i spent half of my life or even more can't sleep what i usually do is, i read a book, i open the net working or reading something interesting and now i open the Xisto and post here and there ;) and listen to some soft music till i get tired.

or sometimes i have a better idea, i drink coffee and eat apples to wake me up completely and still without sleeping till the next day :D . and between, don't take this advice it will make you feel horrible :P .

lols... Well, i'd just use an alarm clock >.>... Digital perhaps? I haven't slept since school ended last year but since septemeber 3rd (technically 2nd) when i had to sleep to get up at 4:00am, i just forced myself to sleep and exercised and did stuff that would tear me down. Regardless, stay up until you feel a little tired. The way i see it, it wouldn't matter the time you sleep or for how long. Just wake up at the time you want and you'll adjust to it within the week. If you still feel tired, don't give in and sleep at night, rather then in the afternoon after you did whatever business you had at that time period...

If there is one thing I am good at, it's falling asleep! Show me that bed and I will show you how to sleep! I can fall asleep just about any time and anywhere. All I have to do is shut up and sit still. I'm out. The only time I actually do have problems sleeping is if I know I have to get up extra early, like when I have to make a run to the airport, and I am afraid to go to sleep too soundly and not hear the alarm, so then I have trouble falling asleep. Fortunatly, I don't have to do that very often.

If there is one thing I am good at, it's falling asleep! Show me that bed and I will show you how to sleep! I can fall asleep just about any time and anywhere. All I have to do is shut up and sit still. I'm out.
The only time I actually do have problems sleeping is if I know I have to get up extra early, like when I have to make a run to the airport, and I am afraid to go to sleep too soundly and not hear the alarm, so then I have trouble falling asleep. Fortunatly, I don't have to do that very often.

WOW, are you serious?? i thought people like you are not exist any more :P . but you know what? i think that this is really a gift. i usually still awake in bed for at least an hour before i fall asleep. even when i was so tired. i just still silent and let thoughts come and go in my mind till i can sleep. and mostly, if i was worry or thinking of annoying thoughts, then i will be even more awake :D . therefor, i said it is a real gift, enjoy it my dear ;) .

Music works for me. I have trouble of insomnia as well. I dont know how to get rid of it. It is more of work oriented problem than anything. I use sleep sound machine as well in order to get some sleep. Sleep sound machine also known as white noise machine can be used for that. There are plenty of white noise songs available in mp3 format. You'll definitely benefit from the white noise or sleeping sound machines. It is rare to see it not working for the people but for me it worked and to some extent it does help except that insomnia part.

insomnia is the biggest problem these days due stressful and fast life.Sleep is so very important as it gives a rest to the mental and physical being.When we encounter problem in sleep we need to take care of some of the factors.Should always eat light food in dinner and should eat at least 2 hours before the sleep.I would suggest having early dinner not later than 8:00 Pm.Taking a walk in the night for a mile or walking on the terrace watching the stars for a while..it also works.Having a warm water bath is one more factor that will help to get a nice sleep everyday.Having a nice soothing colour or bed sheet and a dim light in the room works.Never think of having a coffee or smthing like that before sleep.A light music and a light movie is great as it gives rest to mind.Meditation also is helpful as it calms down the mind.Never read a stressful or depressing or a sad novel or smthing with really deep thought before sleep as it may give u nightmares or stir the mind to think.Before u sleep always think of the happy or the funny moments in life..Don't indulge in some long phone calls before sleep as well..

Edited by chini13 (see edit history)

Definately read. I'm not suggesting books are dull, but the action of slowly moving your eyes across a page while lying on your back or side will make you feel tired regardless of how good the book is. Of course, there's also the suggestion that reading improves your vocabulary, makes you more coherent the next day, and generally makes you more inquisitive. Read man.. ;)

The advice that was given and seemed to be very helpful is to clean the house.

The idea is to get a bun with water and soap and to start cleaning things or parts in the house. Like the kitchen sink, the dirty dishes, the sink in the bath room, anything that can be cleaned with water and soap. The advantages are that cleaning cleans the mind, because it is not hard to do and it does not need a lot of difficult thinking. The nest advantage is that it provides body exercises and movements. So the muscles get tired. The other advantage is that it gives a nice feeling to see that something got nice, neat and clean.

Yes, I agree, I am rather lucky in that respect. There is of course, a downside. Going to seminars, where the speaker dims the lights so he can display various charts and information, and I have to sit there quietly and try to listen........And I used to wonder how people could fall asleep while driving. I always thought driving was something that would keep you very alert and awake. Then I got a job where I was driving 18-24 or more hours at a time. I found out real quick that it can happen! Now that can be scary!