xisto Community
Jonnyabc

Flipped Out, Flying, Mind Of Its Own Touchpad?!?! The exterminator is wanted in the mouse department.

Very recently I've upgraded my 5-6 year old Compaq laptop from XP to 7 (if there be any questions asked about RAM, I upgraded to 2GB). The new OS runs (for the most part) very smoothly...except one thing. The touchpad!Actually, it worked just fine until the Synaptics Touchpad V6.2 driver was automatically (re)installed on the new system. I've even tried messing with the sensitivity settings to no avail.Two things are actually happening. First, when I move the mouse, 1/5 of the time it will jump all over the screen and likely click something I don't want it to click (sometimes it even right-clicks, but how can it do that when I don't have any of the 4 tap zones enabled!). Second, other times I can't get the cursor to move (may be partially caused by me increasing the sensitivity but I don't think so in this instance) and to get it back I sometimes I have to tap/click a time or so to make it move again.Two other complains that parallel this is when the keyboard is thinking that I'm holding down a key (combination). On XP I was used to it catching Ctrl, Alt, or Shift, but now it's worse than ever. I saw a long email that I had written in Gmail start to vanish before my very eyes when it started Ctrl+Z'ing the whole thing...sad but almost comical at the same time. The other thing is that as I wrote this I got a new USB mouse (which so far they've been working just fine without any flukes) but for whatever the reason, the PC is refusing to recognize it/them, going so far as to say that the USB isn't even powering the device(s), although it's powering the hub when I plug that in instead. That problem may simply be solved by restarting (which I plan to do momentarily and perhaps re-post here if I still cannot get it to work).Thanks folks!

Hmm this is a strange problem but I think many people have faced it before. I'm not sure of the solution but I would suggest trying to re-install your drivers. To find out if it is a hardware problem, try using an Ubuntu Live CD to boot into Ubuntu and check if the touchpad problem still exists. If yes, then it's a hardware problem. If it's running smoothly, then it's just the driver problem in Windows.

How To take care your dell latitude d600 laptop battery? When using a laptop as a desktop replacement the laptop battery should not be left in for long periods of time. The laptop will over time discharge the dell latitude d600 battery. Remove the battery,making sure that it is charged to 50% and store it in a dry, warm place. Ensure that it is wrapped protectively and nothing will be dropped on it. The battery should be re-installed every 3-4 weeks and allowed to fully discharge. Leaving a battery in storage for longer than this without using could cause the battery to fully discharge as the circuitry of the battery itself consumes power. Leaving a battery in a laptop while using an electrical outlet for long periods of time will keep the battery in a constant state of charging up and that will reduce the life cycle of the laptop battery.

Well i would say that the drivers for the touch pad are not 100% compatible with 7. It happens all the time. But usually even if the manufacturer doesn't provide you with a driver, there are those out there who write their own drivers. i would do an exhaustive search on google for that such problem. I bet someone out there has had the same problem and found a solution for it, you just have to search.

Well i would say that the drivers for the touch pad are not 100% compatible with 7. It happens all the time. But usually even if the manufacturer doesn't provide you with a driver, there are those out there who write their own drivers. i would do an exhaustive search on google for that such problem. I bet someone out there has had the same problem and found a solution for it, you just have to search.

Such a search usually works but sometimes the exact problem may not be found. In such a case it's best to seek help on the official forums so that a solution can be found much faster.

Hi!The drivers that you have for the touchpad seem to be shot. Get a newer version of the drivers, or get rid of the Synaptics drivers entirely and stick with the stock driver that Windows 7 has to offer. If all else fails, get an external mouse or a tablet input device. You've got lots of choices to pick from with mice - there are the three button mice where you can configure the third button to do something, there are mice with scrolling wheels, scrolling wheel mice where the wheel can be pushed as a third button, scrolling wheel mice where the wheel can be pushed sideways for side-scrolling, mice with up to five buttons (does any body know a manufacturer that has topped that?) in addition to the fancy side-scroller scrolling wheel, and mice that have absolutely no buttons or wheels and rely on a touch-sensitive surface for input.A possible fix that you can try is to get into the BIOS setup when the computer boots up and change the pointer input mode to touchpad/trackpad/internal, instead of external or both. Somes that helps but I can't tell if it will solve the problem you are having.BTW, how does the 6 year old Compaq run Windows 7? Does it lag, or do you get a decent run of the new OS? Are you using Windows 7 Basic, or are you using a different version with Aero disabled? I'm sticking with Windows XP on my 4-year-old Thinkpad, mostly due to licensing - I don't want to pay for another operating system license and would rather get a new laptop with the new operating system pre-installed than have to pay to get another operating system off the shelves of a store at full-price (I'd rather have the clean install than an upgrade). Besides, if you have a 32-bit processor that doesn't support over 3GB of memory when running Windows, you are pretty much limited when using the capabilities of Windows 7 along with Office 2010.