xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Scam Or Not?

A couple of days ago, I got an email from a woman named "Gloria Theopile" who said she was in a refugee camp in Senegual, at first I thought she might be legit because I met her on a dating site and she showed me pictures of herself in a bikini but now I'm starting to get a little suspicious by one of her letter, here is a sample:"If you are in Africa, you will understand this better, I just want to let you know this in time, that is why I called you to be a friend, lover and my only best friend. Please, I ran away with some of my late father's documents, he deposited 78$ million US dollars to one of the leading banks in London, I have all the documents that prove this vital information that I'm giving you now,I have been in touch with the bank, they advice me to seek a foreign parter on the claims of my late father, my age and the laws of the bank will never permit them to have anything to do with me until I'm matured enough, I will be happy if you accept this proposal and forward to me all the necessary information: Name, age, adress, phone number, bank info to help inform the bank about youI let you know this because I feel we have known eachother by now, please identify your full information because I want you to transfer this personal account to your account so you can come over in person and take me to your countryI wait to hear from you,Miss Gloria

A couple of days ago, I got an email from a woman named "Gloria Theopile" who said she was in a refugee camp in Senegual, at first I thought she might be legit because I met her on a dating site and she showed me pictures of herself in a bikini but now I'm starting to get a little suspicious by one of her letter, here is a sample:
"If you are in Africa...

Dude...that is the traditional scam letter type. Even the words are the same. Don't trust it.
If you know her well, she might b playing with you. If you don't know her well, its time to find another friend.

Scam?? Of course what more can be it??? You sure you know what is a scam letter?? Because it?s easy to see in this letter all the parameters that define to a scam letter like the Africa thing. why??? Why do somebody in Africa will look for help in the internet??? Risking $78 million dollars?? This is stupid and of course is the perfect way to scam you because you want to be rich and you imagine that once she is free she will give you some good reward for your help... I give you a tip when you receive this type of email please delete it inmediately or configure your email client to send all the emails with this type of scam to the spam folder where they have to be.Please don?t fall in this type of scam... beware of this type of emails.Bye.

Emails of this sort are always SCAM.....Classing scam emails... lol And Ive seen people get sucked into all these scams....They loose a lot of money without realizing it and then later they cry and whine...... So if you do not want to cry and whine its better you stay away from such emails.....

Yay! Escape to the Caribbeans with your hot girl and your $68 Million. You could buy some islands in the pacific, buy a beach house in California, order to have Tome Cruise killed, run your own Mafia and practically anything you want! I say that you take this chance and live your life. Once in a time opportunity dude, don't miss it. I'm just kidding, I agree with the Good Fellows who posted above, it has scam written all over this. I say that you find another dating site, add the email address to the spam list and move on.

This is just a plain scam used by scammers. This people will pose as anyone and will usually stays at social network sites to find someone they can fool. Most of the time they fool by the victims by targeting their weakness. If you find them on social networks, they will surely post sexy photos of girls and even nude ones pulled from someone's account. After a trust relation have been built up, they will ask for information like email where the scam will start.

Not all scams takes place by taking large amount of money, some do take less than a dollar a day or a few pennies.. I have written such method on my website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ where scammers steal from 25cents $0.25 to $9.00 per credit card on random days of the month. This are base on the victims purchase power.

The next step on your scam scenario will be an attorney / lawyer will contact you asking for a small fee and will send documents to you for tax, claims card and such other bogus documents so you can open a bank account and claim the money. They will ask you more than 3 times and when you noticed that it was a scam, you have already spent a lot of cash.

So don't be greedy and ignore that offer and put the guy on the ignore list and thank yourself for asking here first for opinions.

whats in your spam folder should stay in your spam folder these people will try to take all your money and it might not even be a girl because anybody could find some pictures of a girl on google its probably a old man in nigeria trying to attract young people to get in the car for all you know I could be a racecar :o here is my pic:

Posted Image

have you guys ever posted something on craiglist? you get like 700000 spam messages advertising to you or phishing emails (i still get them till this day)... And it's just retarded. they link it to like sdads.freewebs.com or something like that xD

That is without a doubt a scam. Fortunatly, most scam artists are not very smart. I get emails every day from people claiming they want to buy a puppy and will send me a check over the amount I am asking for the pup and then requesting that I send them back the balance threw Western Union. I can spot one every time. Their english is very bad, they never ask the type of questions that a normal person interested in buying a pet would ask, and they almost always use the exact same message. I honestly don't know how they think they are going to be smart enough to con somebody out of any money when they are as stupid as they are.

Not true, i helped this person from Nigeria once and ... i got myself 39 million bucks.. no wait it was around 40 and a half, but did not know what to do with the money and buying penis enlargement pills seemed a good idea for the time being, after spending 40 mils on pills i woke up and got to work :blink: Believe it or not, some people just bite from this phishing emails. They are everywhere now days in to our mails, chat messengers, games, forums, blog comments or mobile phone.

Edited by Idiomus (see edit history)

It seems nice to place a witty comment over here. The option is that the moderators will not understand the funny part of it and delete my account. It seems the only way to tell the topic starter what the meaning of the email is.A girl in a bikini in a refugee camp?A girl who has access to a computer and the internet in a refugee camp?A girl who wants to live with you?A girl with a deposit of millions in a foreign bank?A girl who needs your help?A girl with a computer and an internet connection and no webcam?The nice thing of this post is that it reassures that those emails are sent a lot. If the poster is serious it even proves that some people believe what is written in such an email. At least there is some doubt, which causes the poster to start a topic over here. On the other hand, the poster is not serious enough to register and make an account to start this burning topic.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

Can you tell us the name of the company? And what's written in the contract or the agreement you've made for the vacation package? Did you sign anything?
*If NOT, you can cancel it. You can contact your bank [for the credit card you used] and explain to the bank that you want to cancel the down-payment you've made [if possible]. If then the collecting agent still forcing you to pay for the package, perhaps you can threaten them by saying you're reporting this disturbance to the police.
*If YES, you might need more help on law matter, which is not my subject... sorry.

Whether it's a scam or not... I'll say this clear: NEVER PAY or give your money to anyone who says you're supposed to get something free.

If they say you won something, then you shouldn't have to pay for anything except the tax [if necessary, and for a logical amount].

Here's the logic, you went there because they said you've WON a contest, and you went there to get a FREE tickets.Furnace Replacement
1. Did you remember joining a contest? And if you did, what contest was that, did they tell you what contest that you have won?
2. You want to get free baseball tickets. FREE tickets. What's the meaning of free if you have to pay for a vacation that you've never planned for? You can always go on a vacation, to a place you choose, in your own time, with the right budget.

Edited by Hoaster (see edit history)