xisto Community
Bikerman

Bikerman Signing-In

Hi folks,I'm bikerman - a middle-aged English chap. My main job is lecturer/teacher of IT and Computing Science. I have also worked in industry as a systems manager and for a brief 2 year period as a recording engineer in a London studio.I am married, no kids, spend far too much time on the internet and enjoy music engineering (I have a small home studio), motorbikes, and occasionally juggling. I am not religious (in the slightest) and I have taken part in two live debates with creationists in local venues. I am a huge fan of science in general and physics in particular and can often be found on the Science forums discussing quantum physics or relativity with some of the very expert scientists, who kindly take the time to explain my latest confusions :-)Now you know all there is to know about me

Hi folks,I'm bikerman - a middle-aged English chap. My main job is lecturer/teacher of IT and Computing Science. I have also worked in industry as a systems manager and for a brief 2 year period as a recording engineer in a London studio.
I am married, no kids, spend far too much time on the internet and enjoy music engineering (I have a small home studio), motorbikes, and occasionally juggling. I am not religious (in the slightest) and I have taken part in two live debates with creationists in local venues. I am a huge fan of science in general and physics in particular and can often be found on the Science forums discussing quantum physics or relativity with some of the very expert scientists, who kindly take the time to explain my latest confusions :-)

Now you know all there is to know about me

Cool, and it's nice to meet you. I am also very into science and just recently decided to go pre-med (going to become a doctor). I haven't gotten too far into physics yet but I plan to pursue it deeper.

Now you know all there is to know about me

Well, no, maybe not everything. You mentioned a wife, no kids, but what about a dog? :rolleyes:

Anyway, welcome to Xisto. It's a fun place with lots of people from all walks of life from all over the world. It can sure be interesting at times.

Well, no, maybe not everything. You mentioned a wife, no kids, but what about a dog? :rolleyes:
Anyway, welcome to Xisto. It's a fun place with lots of people from all walks of life from all over the world. It can sure be interesting at times.

Thanks for that.
As for dogs - oh yes indeed.
Max - Welsh collie - 13yrs (rescue) retired from Agility now but still fit and healthy - Daddies favourite (shhhh!)
Minnie - Black Schipperke - 7 yrs (pedigree, crufts 2nd in class twice) Agility level 6. Likes to bully German Sheps - mummies girl
Maddie - Border collie - (farm dog) 4yrs Agility level 5 fast and flighty - Daddy's girl
Skip- - Cream Schipperke - 3yrs (rescue) still hoping for a clear round if he can stop chasing anything edible - alround cheeky sod.
Edited by Bikerman (see edit history)

welcome in Xisto community. there are a lot of science and technology around here. and people like to chat, exchange knowledge and thoughts. so you are in the right place i guess. have fun and good luck.

This is a late welcome, but a welcome nevertheless :) It looks like you've settled in nicely over here, which is excellent! Now that we know all about you (:P) let's have some tackles in the forum, shall we?!

Thanks to all for the kind welcome.Tackles in the forum? Well, I'm currently playing extra time in one thread that has become very serious, but when that is over I'm always willing to put my foot in for any tackling required :-)

Hmmm... Interesting. This could help me prove that people who are around dogs are smarter :)Welcome to forum though and thanks for those huge complicated problems, even if i don't understand what the heck you saying :P

Hmmm... Interesting. This could help me prove that people who are around dogs are smarter :)
Welcome to forum though and thanks for those huge complicated problems, even if i don't understand what the heck you saying :P

Nah those were just warm-ups...Soon have you solving the schroedinger equation :-)

Nice to have you aboard. Always good to have an intellect and teacher involved in discussions. My mom is a teacher, but she never talks to me :)Anyway great to have you on here :)

Nice to have you aboard. Always good to have an intellect and teacher involved in discussions. My mom is a teacher, but she never talks to me :)Anyway great to have you on here :)

Not sure about the intellect - you are welcome to what you can find ;)

I have two questions for you: 1. Assuming you went to college or a university for computer science, what books did you have to get for class (if you still remember)? 2. What books do you base your classes on when teaching?

I have two questions for you: 1. Assuming you went to college or a university for computer science, what books did you have to get for class (if you still remember)? 2. What books do you base your classes on when teaching?

Uni (Manchester) is a long time ago and many of the books I used then (even if I could remember them) would now be out of date. I use various texts when teaching - it depends on the level. At A level standard I am teaching to a set syllabus so I would tend to use a standard course text - such as the AQA A level text. This would be supplemented with various material - some I just know, others from appropriate websites and some from my own text books upstairs in my study.
They include:

Data Structures and Algorithms. (A.V. Aho, J.D. Ullman)Computing Before Computers (Aspray)
Alan Turing: The Enigma (Andrew Hodges)
From Memex to Hypertext (Vannevar Bush)
Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution (Steven Levy)
The C Programming Language (Kernigan 2nd edition)
The papers of George Boole (Boolean algebra)
Quantum Computation and Quantum Information (Nielson)

and about another 50 assorted books.
If you tell me what level you want then I can be more specific...

If you tell me what level you want then I can be more specific...

I do not know what level i am looking for. The books you listed should be fine, though. What i am looking to learn is something on a "compiler level," so to speak.