xisto Community
Little Asterisk

Google To Improve Image Search

I didn't like this new improvement at all. They turned off many keyword researchers like me. I'm sure others are turned off as well. Reason for that is you can't access google wonder wheel while instant search is ON. Same is the case with the "related searches" that you can access in depth which is not possible with instant search. I do managed to turn it off and get things working. There are few things that i want to fix google with - avoid getting redirected to national/regional google site and instant search. For casual searchers and people who are into searching for what they want, instant search looks good provided that they have good internet connection.

I don't like it either. My PC is too cruddy and it basically slows down everything. I hate the 1 page thing and all the images load when you start Scrolling. Maybe's that just for me and my crap 512mb PC but it seems like that to me. At least we don't have to flip through the pages. I also hate how some sites break the frames of the image and the image is smack right in the middle rather than the old google image how it was on top and the site with the image was iframed on the bottom.

I don't know, it works very good for me and I don't have virtually any problems with it. Also, if I were to have any trouble I can easily turn off the instant search by just clicking the button (actually, a link) next to Google's search bar that says "Instant search is on" (or something like that).It's great because there's no delay between me writing and the search, but the transition is almost seamless because it was fast enough even before.But hey, give the new search a chance; you know, a lot of people don't like the new Google search just because it's a change and hesitate to use it. You don't want to be one of those guys, right? :D(I'm just kidding :))

I don't mind change at all. Besides this change is good if the person is casual search engine user or consumer or viewer. etc etc. We have websites and we want viewers for that. I don't know how it'll be possible to work around google instant. But few of us are more than that. We do have our own sites and we often play with long tail keywords on our site. So long tail keywords get affected in this new search engine update. There are some chances of SEO loss with the new improvement. I did managed to get only loss of "long tail keywords". Trying to digg more for it to know how it affected SEO.

It's times like these that I'm glad Bing came along. It finally brought relevant competition to Google. Being in a pseudo-monopolistic state over the Search Engine industry was dangerous as it is, because I felt like Google suffered from a largely visible decrease in its growth. But with Microsoft pushing Bing like the searching machine that it is, we've got Google doing auto-complete searches (the ones that give you search results mid-typing), and now the better image search. Now if only Microsoft could set up a powerful mail service from Bing.com, maybe Bmail, who knows, that'll get Google to start thinking seriously about some of the steps it can take in the right direction for its other laterals.I remember the old days, when Yahoo! search was still in the big picture, and Google had to take some major hits from the wider Yahoo! userbase at that time. Good times, good times.

I just hope this search feature doesn't restrict dial up and slow internet connection users from searching. I see that new google search page is ajax based and takes some time to load. I hope they don't screw up with this new search improvements with too much ajax.

I can believe people still use dial up nowadays. Though I stand to be corrected, can anyone mention a good example of such?

I've gotten used to the new Google image search. I haven't looked yetto see if there is away to adjust the size of the image when you do a mouseover though.Right now I wish they were slightly bigger when using this mouseover. Overall though, the new Google image search is pretty good. One doesn'thave to always visit the page to get a better look at the image.

It took a little while getting used to but I prefer this new way of viewing Google Images. Now, instead of clicking a link that will take me to the next page of results, all I have to do is scroll down. And if I happen to reach the bottom of the seemingly endless pictures, I can always just go the next one. And if I still haven't found the picture I'm looking for, I would probably refine my search string.

It took a little while getting used to but I prefer this new way of viewing Google Images. Now, instead of clicking a link that will take me to the next page of results, all I have to do is scroll down. And if I happen to reach the bottom of the seemingly endless pictures, I can always just go the next one. And if I still haven't found the picture I'm looking for, I would probably refine my search string.

Yeah, I believe Google's given a much bigger relevance to pictures found on pages 2, 3, 4 etc. because we don't have to click anymore to display them. Now I find that I can easily scroll to page (for instance, let's say...) 5 while I used to refine my search already on page 1 or maybe 2.

I'm on low connection and found that even with low connection sometimes page load fast. But that ajax zoom feature is likely to slow down the browser. I mean atleast it did for me. I waited for more than 15 minutes for that javascript effect to load. Anyone else on dial up tried this ?

yes i have tested it with dial-up and the zooming function is really annoying. it doesn't take me 15 min. it takes about 3 min but it's still annoying so i switched back to the older version .

yes i have tested it with dial-up and the zooming function is really annoying. it doesn't take me 15 min. it takes about 3 min but it's still annoying so i switched back to the older version .

Hmm... I thought the zoomed image and the thumbnail image are the same image thing but the thumbnail is zoomed in and the zoom in picture is the same as the thumbnail but not zoomed in...so, you shouldn't see any loading when you zoom in XD and you can switch to the older version? how? i personally don't want to, but its better to know B)

Hmm... I thought the zoomed image and the thumbnail image are the same image thing but the thumbnail is zoomed in and the zoom in picture is the same as the thumbnail but not zoomed in...so, you shouldn't see any loading when you zoom in XD and you can switch to the older version? how? i personally don't want to, but its better to know B)

Actually there is a difference. image search will continue to load till it get those js scripts loaded. Till then you can't zoom or do other scrolling tasks. Zoomed version is same as thumbnail but unless that js script loads it keeps sucking on the connection. I'm not sure how he went to old version but like any other google hacks this is likely to be possible. if not bing is also there with same set of results.

Information from Google's Blogspot blog indicates that there'll be some cool improvements in the Google Image Search showcase.
Firstly, we won't be looking at ugly text anymore, but the images will be presented in the form of a nice grid, which in turn allows for more images to be displayed in a single page.

Agreed. In my opinion, this was one of the better improvements that Google has come out with. The text under the image itself took up a large portion of the page, collectively of course. The one thing about this I find annoying is that when you click on the image, it takes you to the website the image was found on. Then, the image you clicked on is placed on top of that. My point is that when I clicked the image, I didn't click it to get to the website. But other than that, I don't see any problems with it, unless of course it takes awhile for the pictures to load.

I would have to say that I hate the new google image search, and I think that there should be an option to go back to the original if there is not one already. The grid is annoying, and even on my cable connection, all of the images don't load when I go down to page 5 or 10. You have page 1 and 2 loads, and gray images all over the pages below there. They should really revert back to the original, and I understand that they are trying to be innovative over at google, but if it isn't broke don't fix it. There only thing the new google image search accomplishes is less clicking. You don't have to click from page to page, but the images load slower and the darn image search is more laggy then it has ever been before. I feel sorry for those using dial up connections, I am certain that they don't have a chance (in you know what) to effectively use the new google image search based on the load time and bad connection that is a result of using dial up. You mix a bad or slow connection with a website that is laggy and place 10 pages in 1, you are going to have a bad experience.