xisto Community
The Simpleton

Spain Wins The 2010 World Cup

Well, this means that Americans won't care about soccer for about another 4 years! And that's how I like it... now its back to b'ball talk and football talk! Thank God Soccer is only meant to be watched by americans every other world cup.

The majority of Americans may not be bothered about Football in these 4 years but if I'm right there are some clubs and a league present in the US too, which was why David Beckham was hired to play in the US. Anyway I don't know too much about that - so let's live and let live :P The fans wont stop following the game at any given time.

The majority of Americans may not be bothered about Football in these 4 years but if I'm right there are some clubs and a league present in the US too, which was why David Beckham was hired to play in the US. Anyway I don't know too much about that - so let's live and let live :P The fans wont stop following the game at any given time.

I saw a BBC documentary about American football fans.. It really weirded me out. There were these shirtless frat boys who had painted LA GALAXY on there chests, and were spraying beer everywhere. There were also these seriously drunk fanatics chanting hate slogans at David Beckham because of something he'd done. Apparently Football is big in some parts of America?!

I saw a BBC documentary about American football fans.. It really weirded me out. There were these shirtless frat boys who had painted LA GALAXY on there chests, and were spraying beer everywhere. There were also these seriously drunk fanatics chanting hate slogans at David Beckham because of something he'd done. Apparently Football is big in some parts of America?!

As much as I know about this (and it's not that much :)), during the last few years (that is, when Beckham and the other *old* company started coming there) soccer (not football :)) was popularised a bit in America.

Maybe the fans were just one of those newly changed lovers of soccer (again, not football :)).

Yeah! You are exactly right! There IS a United States League but it isn't as popular as you meet except... but the League is trying very hard to popularize Soccer in America by getting people like Pele (back in the day) and now Beckham to play in the Los Angeles Galaxy (YAY! GO GALAXY) and as everyone can see now -- just because you have a ton of money to get people to play for you -- it doesn't change the hearts of the people -- the 'real americans'. :) That's why I think no matter how many billions is spent for Soccer games and advertising soccer in America... it just isn't going to work.

There are some regions of America where Soccer has gotten popular during the 90's-2000's but they are mostly like immigrant communities and places like Boston where there are a lot of Irish people live -- in THOSE regions soccer is big but in the regular small-town place Soccer is rarely played... and if it is no body shows up for the games. Except on late nights of the finals.. you don't see people hating Beckham on the street. They brought over Beckham to Los Angeles to REBOOT (or should i say 'BOOT') Soccer in America but as we know that even the best/most popular soccer player of recent times can't even do that. Now, people are hating him because he might leave LA Galaxy.

Maybe the fans were just one of those newly changed lovers of soccer (again, not football :)).

I see the 'newly changed lovers of soccer' all the time in LA... they were EVERYWHERE during the World Cup and when US starting during good people where talking about soccer everywhere but after US lost in the world cup... its like "oh thats great...". So, ya nobody really cares about soccer.

I thought it was an okay world cup. The last match was very intense,if low scoring. I knew that Netherlands would lose when one of their players illegaly kicked the ball into Spain's net. That seemed toset off bad karma. You don't deserve to win if you do that. I think the next world cup is in Brazil. That means it will probably be won by them or the Argentinians.

Edited by networker (see edit history)

That's why I think no matter how many billions is spent for Soccer games and advertising soccer in America... it just isn't going to work.

I agree. I'm not anti-capitalist/USA in the least, but I watched the US vs. Ghana match and there was something seriously satisfying about seeing a dirt poor Third World Country beating one of the highest earning teams in the world. Unfortunately Britain is going the same way. Because the majority of our clubs are owned by Russian tycoons there's no sense of national pride- and managers simply spend millions on South American and European players. In Chelsea F.C (my favourite football team) there are 30 players but only 7 Brits. These same clubs also spend too much time and money trying to keep old players happy, rather than finding new talent (as France has done quite successfully, going out into seriously poor areas of Paris and finding prodigies).