xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ash-Bash

Fail Blog

The first thing I want to say is that this is not criticism. The fact is that success is always a possibility (at least most of the time). However, you must clearly understand what your goal and purpose is for creating a blog on failures or fail. Are you creating the blog on fail because you are passionate about such humor and wish to post some of your own? Are you creating the blog simply to entertain yourself and others? Are you doing it for the money?If you are doing it for the first two reason, then go ahead and shoot for it. If you are doing it to bring in money, you will be fighting an uphill battle. The first issue is that there is always a developed site on fails, and the idea is not unique to you. The fact is that you have competition. What do you have that the other fail blog, that people have been using for quite a while, does not? This is why Ash-Bash keep asking if you have a team or community to help you. It may sound easy to simply post pictures, but you have to put the time in to find those pictures. That could mean searching the internet for hours at a time simply to find a few unique pictures. Either way you will be seen as an intruder and you site will be dismissed by most as a imitator. People don't like spending time on a cheap copy when the real thing is free.The second problem is that its a terrible niche. A fail blog is a niche that you can't make money off of unless you have thousands upon thousands of people visiting your websites, and even when you have thousands of people you will likely be using only google ads rather than independent advertisers who pay a lot more since the middle man (google) is no longer there. Most advertisers who buy directly from sites want a particular audience. They want a website for moms, as they can target mothers with their products. They want a website for bikers, as they can sell their bike shining product to bikers. They want a website for pimps, as they can sell pimp canes and suits (lol). Anyway, I am sure you get the point and understand what I am telling you here. If you have a website on "fail", some of everybody is visiting it, and all those people have different interest. When it comes to advertising...a site with small traffic that has a targeted audience is better than a site with large traffic but no idea on the interest and needs of those visiting. When it comes to making money, you have to pick the right niche and stick to it. I once had a political blog, but then I realized that I would never make the money I wanted to make with it without being at the level of Daily Kos. I have a passion for politics, but if you plan on going to politics its best not to write about it anyway, especially if you're going to get only $.50 a month from ad revenue. So if you are doing it for money, pick another niche. Write about music, gardening, cooking, food, or any of those boring topics that people seem to need advice on. You need a website where people have problems and need to buy a product in order to solve them. Start a blog on weight loss, and sell products that relate to weight loss through affiliate marking. If you want to make money, you usually have to write about a boring topics. I am sure that many people will differ, as they may consider slaving over a stove all day and later blogging about it as fun. It was mentioned above that you have opened and closed all these different websites. That is a sign that the sites are not making money and therefore the project is thrown out of the window. I have done that many times before, the latest being my political blog. I have thrown forums out the window left and right. The fact is that I failed most of the time due to competition. I had two or three political blogs in my life time. Two of them were on the national level and they failed miserably. The third was on the state level and it was actually pretty successful. I only kept it open for two months and the traffic was coming in like crazy. I was receiving more visitor than I ever had before with a website. However, I closed it because I have a better idea that should have a greater effect and traffic with less effort and work (including a better niche). Nevertheless, if you go ahead with the project, one suggestion would be to get reed of the idea that your blog is a fail blog. You should really market yourself in a more unique way. For example, you could create a domain called tuked (just an example - domain already registered) and use the work "tuked" instead of "failed". Not only does this make you site look less like a cheap copy, it begins the creation of a new word which is the domain name of your website. Another suggestion is to give commentary on your fail pics. Failblog currently doesn't do that. They simply post the picture. I remember running across a blog that posted pictures and gave very short commentary on them. I'm really upset that I can't find the site anymore. It was entertaining and addictive. There was one picture of a girl falling on face first on a slip & slide, and the blogger made it seem so funny. He was saying something along the line of not taking her out of the house because she'll be falling all over the place. I really hate I can't find the blog, the guy had me laughing all night. I ran across that blog months ago and still remember it (just not the domain lol). So those are two quick suggestions for you.

I have now given up the Fail Blog idea even though I still have the domain even when there is nothing on there there is about 2,000 hits a day I am going to redirect the domain to my WebHosting account to get the most out of it.Now I am a web master of over 9 websites it is hard to create more such as this one. I guess this idea was a bad one now I review it. Never mind not that much of a loss :).

That's the worst you can do about redirection. Why redirect when you have hits and content ? instead sign up to adbrite or project wonderful and start earning bucks. 2000 hits a day is good number for you site. Besides how come fail blog content and webhosting is related ? if domain is not making sense then how come you retain those traffic ? I doubt you'll retain those unless it makes any sense. Just keep the site and hosting separate. You can instead add domain name as backlink to hosting from that blog. But then again it's your call.

That's the worst you can do about redirection. Why redirect when you have hits and content ? instead sign up to adbrite or project wonderful and start earning bucks. 2000 hits a day is good number for you site. Besides how come fail blog content and webhosting is related ? if domain is not making sense then how come you retain those traffic ? I doubt you'll retain those unless it makes any sense. Just keep the site and hosting separate. You can instead add domain name as backlink to hosting from that blog. But then again it's your call.

I already have a Tech Blog and 3 others that I am admin and another 2 I own. My Tech Blog has ads all over it so I may redirect the domain to that to still get money. I really have no more time to do another blog at the the moment. Basically I will still earn from the ads on my tech blog but it really does not bother me.

Fail Blogs are bloated with automatic scripts and immense advertising. On every page, there is a average of 3-5 ads and they also have their big icons about their "network" of blogs. It would be nice to see a Fail Blog that is focused on the fail. :)

Hi all, new to this forum. Name is Ben if anybody sees this post... Hope you don't mind of me telling my story of PHP discovery. I got into PHP thinking I could learn from the ground up after using Joomla, and I did, and then I started trying to make a framework or CMS as one would call it, and thought I was approaching some kind of novel idea. I disregarded Joomla as some amateur effort and swore of CMS' and thought it good to make my own CMS. Then I discovered drupal. Hated it. Then I was in heaven!! This is amazing! Makes my life easy and I can kind of rely on a community to help me!Just found this interesting thread about Failblog while trying to guess what CMS it is created with - I'm quite a fan. There's a certain part of me that is jealous for someone getting rich off of such a novel and original idea - something almost I could have thought of. If only I were that "original."I feel like these ideas all peak to one central point within a given community, and then someone decides to take action and put the idea in motion. That someone could be one person or a group of people, and that someone or group of people could actually make money off of the idea. So I guess while having the right knowledge or resources is important, so is taking action. One strength with another.I guess these communities give good ideas life.As for the perfect CMS, I feel like any of them can be adapted to do what you want them to do, and further optimized as one learns what the CMS can and cannot do. I don't have a lot of experience bending wordpress or joomla, but I have played with drupal and I love it.I talk too much...