xisto Community
web_designer

Do You Think The Footer In A Website Is Important?

Back in the day footers were the cannon fodder of website design, but in recent years footer design has become something of an enigma. I have seen quite a few websites where designers go beyond a boring old footer either through graphic design or the code itself. You see this mostly in blog websites but check this link out from smashingmagazine.com on how designers work with their footers.

The best design and the most useful footer that I have found so far is the one at Blogussion.com. The design is spectacular, its big and useful for the readers. The bottom most part of the footer has little cool icons that light up and a arrow to "sail you up" to the top of the page. I think thats what makes footer so great, you can do almost anything with them and be creative.

The best design and the most useful footer that I have found so far is the one at Blogussion.com. The design is spectacular, its big and useful for the readers. The bottom most part of the footer has little cool icons that light up and a arrow to "sail you up" to the top of the page. I think thats what makes footer so great, you can do almost anything with them and be creative.

:o
it is really a big big footer and it doesn't fit my idea about footer :) . it doesn't have any personal touch, and full of information and links more than the site itself :P .
but still that proves my opinion, and how much footer is important to the site even footers like that.

:o

it is really a big big footer and it doesn't fit my idea about footer :) . it doesn't have any personal touch, and full of information and links more than the site itself :P .

but still that proves my opinion, and how much footer is important to the site even footers like that.

No personal touch? It has a huge personal touch. They don't really have to be a butterfly in the footer (though i love that too :P ), Alex (the guy who made Blogussion) has made the whole theme have its own "unique" appearance. Active Discussions, with the recent comments and the avatars and random articles are for our information. Contribute a Post, is another ingenious invention, you can guest post a topic on the website and "about alex" tells us about the author with a picture. What's not pers nal about it? I think we can all learn from this type of footer. B)

Hi!@web_designerI agree with your perspective that the footer is great for showcasing your work because it doesn't take the attention away from the content. The footer is usually used to provide more information, such as contact details or the careers section for a website.However, I think the header of the site is more significant because it sets the style for the rest of the website. A site header with vector art would limit the use of photographic images.@anwiiThe copyright notice usually indicates who owns the copyrights for something. If somebody does spot a blatant violation of the copyright, they can contact the owner by looking up the copyright owner at the bottom of the page. Web designers usually add it to their portfolios to indicate that they own the designs and that they are not free web design templates, though novice web designer may use templates and unknowingly add a copyright notice indicating that they own the designs.

I agree with your perspective that the footer is great for showcasing your work because it doesn't take the attention away from the content. The footer is usually used to provide more information, such as contact details or the careers section for a website.
However, I think the header of the site is more significant because it sets the style for the rest of the website. A site header with vector art would limit the use of photographic images.

i agree with you fully, k_nithin_r. the header of the site is always more important that the footer, because it shows the main concept of the whole site, and it is the first thing that will attracts the visitors and make them remember the site name or details. i always think that the header in away is for the visitors and the footer is for me :) , the area where i show and put whatever i want without affecting my visitors.

I think the footer is important but its content is the kind of "read me if you're interested" rather than "Read this before you start" that's why it's at the very buttom of the page in my opinion.You might as well place equal emphasis on the footer and make it as a part of the corporate image of the client.Some people use sticky footer. What do you think of it?