xisto Community
web_designer

Why My Operating System Works So Slow ?

I would recommend a certain program to help with your start-up programs, which i use for my Windows system, called Startup Delayer. For some reason Windows (XP) can't handle all the programs starting up at the same time, so i have this useful, little program start the heavier programs at a later time to allow the smaller programs to go first.

I didn't even consider start-up programs.On that note, go to Start > Run > MsconfigIn there you can go to the various tabs and change what starts up (programs *and* processes) so you can disable what you don't want. I usually disable all of those.The things you want to disable for sure are anything relating to Java -- as they are RAM intensive and if you don't use them a lot then you want to wait to run them until you need them.

Sorry to enter this topic late, but here is what i do. I just go to Run and then Msconfig. Click on the Startup tab and disable all startups. Download CCleaner (from using google) and install it. Open it up and clean up all your registry functions and the browser cache and history (it has settings for all of them). Next go to startup tab in Ccleaner and enable the things that you want and don't enable the rest. Restart your pc and it should work good now... contrariwise you can disable the startups one by one to find out which one is slowing your pc and keep the rest.

I agree with The Simpleton even that your problem is now solved but you could try Ubuntu maybe it's a bit complicated to use in the start but after a while when you get used to it you will see that this OS is really fast and you don't need even an anti-virus.

Now that your problem is solved. Make sure you do these on regular interval :1. Defragging your partitions using Mydefrag software.2. Use CCleaner to clear the unwanted files on your drive.3. Use old JV16 registry cleaner to clean the unwanted entries in registry.4. Install programs and software on partition other than boot partition. For example, if you've windows installed on C: drive then install applications on D: or E: drive. This helps during bootup and also you'll have lot of scratch disk for some of your applications like photoshop etc.This will help keep your OS in good performance. Though old thread and your problem is solved still decided to post cause i thought this will help you or others.

thank you guys for these informations.@rpgsearcherz, i do reformat every 4-6 months, my operating system won't survive more :P. @truefusion, i will keep that program in mind in case my operating system starts slowly but till now it works fine.@asad1, it seems like that, all the problem with my windows cd.@deadmad, i already did all what you said, disabled programs from msconfig and cleaned the registry using ccleaner.@abazi16, i am thinking of switching to linux but i can't right now, thank you for your suggestion.@mahesh, i will keep your advices in mind thank you.

Now that your problem is solved. Make sure you do these on regular interval :
1. Defragging your partitions using Mydefrag software.
2. Use CCleaner to clear the unwanted files on your drive.
3. Use old JV16 registry cleaner to clean the unwanted entries in registry.
4. Install programs and software on partition other than boot partition. For example, if you've windows installed on C: drive then install applications on D: or E: drive. This helps during bootup and also you'll have lot of scratch disk for some of your applications like photoshop etc.

This will help keep your OS in good performance. Though old thread and your problem is solved still decided to post cause i thought this will help you or others.

Regarding defragmenting, I would suggest something like Diskkeeper. I think that's how it's spelled at least.

It's a defragger that works in the background 24/7 (as long as your PC is on) to ensure everything is always defragmented. It can also do boot defragmenting (more efficient since it can also defrag Windows files), as well as MFT (master file table) defragmenting.

It does cost money but it's better than any other program I've ever used for that job.

Thanks, have gone through reviews of diskeeper from other sites like donationcoder. There are few more alternatives as well but many of them are not good at defragmenting while we're working on disk. So that leaves only one good commercial app :diskeeper. So it Looks cool to me. But i found mydefrag better cause it's doing the same job for free. It can optimize boot and also defrag while working on system. There is also option of defrag screensaver. With that i can say that they're doing quite a good job of defragmenting. If anyone knows how to write macros scripts then they can write mydefrag scripts as well. On windows 7 i don't know how much we need to use defragment software but for windows XP mydefrag/JKdefrag or diskeeper are enough to speed things up as far as i know.

According to my knowledge there must be problem of virus. Check for the updates of antivirus whichever is available with you. You have nice configuration, according to your computer configuration the PC should run faster. There may be another reason that you must have installed some high CPU utilization software such as Oracle etc. Try to uninstall such software. If the problem persist then try with other operating system for example linux ununtu.

I think since its a laptop you should not use a windows anyway , a linux distro seems like a much more fun and cool solution, such as ubuntu. It will give you alot of experience in the linux sphere and teach you plenty of useful things about linux overall. Try ubuntu , just give it a try it can be booted live.

Hello friends,Make sure your computer and processor is not overheating, excessive heat can cause a significant decrease in computer performance some processors will even lower the speed of the processor automatically to help compensate for the heat related issues. Dust, dirt, and hair can also constrict a proper air flow on your computer, which can also cause a computer to overheat. Make sure your computer case is clean and fans are not obstructed.Thanks a lotVicky Milza