xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Twitter Gets Hacked Again!

Don't worry - twitter has been restored already, and this is a bit stale news, but still, it's news!

Twitter was hacked yet again (this is the third time, if I remember right), this time by some turkish cracker, which forced everyone's "followers" to be reset to zero. (EDIT: What the cracker did was to force users to follow others; so the admins reset the counters to zero) The funniest thing about this was that many celebrities became scared that they'd lost their popularity all of a sudden :) While some were sensible enough to realise that something was wrong with the site, there were a handful who were almost hysterical. I read all this in the paper so I don't exactly remember who reached the hysterical stage, but there were definitely a lot of them.

Since no one posts much private info on twitter, I guess there's not much to lose even if the hacking was serious, but still it stands to expose that the most popular sites are always the most unsafe to be on. I dunno when this incident occurred but it was fixed pretty quickly by the admins.

So, did anyone of you notice that you suddenly had no one to follow you? :P

Edited by The Simpleton (see edit history)

Dunno, got rid of my twitter account since I stopped using it for a very long time. Of course, I have been deleting account from various social network websites last few weeks due to the fact that I am no longer using them.

For me twitter is overrated, but how does one force another to follow you or others? And why was it so significant that the twitter administrators had to reset everyone's followers? I'm not sure what the Turkish "cracker" did, but if the administrators were the ones that did the reseting, then i can't say that twitter was hacked.

Yeah, i have reading about this but nah, it's not a big deal or maybe it is? I'm not sure because i don't ever use Twitter and the users here in Macedonia are rare.

well simpleton, i never noticed anything different in my twitter page. i still have the same flowers and following number, and i am sure of that because i post in my blog once a week and check my site in general everyday. or maybe they give me an exception because i live in turkey, just kidding. anyway nothing unusual about my tweeter.??@truefusion, in tweeter we don't force people to follow us, we just post our topics in public and who read your post and like it, will follow you.

Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

well i said before that i didn't see anything weird in twitter. but now yes, i received notifications on my email that a new people are following me now, but when i checked my twitter account, i found that my following counter doesn't change whereas the followers counter changes when i follow new people.

I did see this on the news some time ago that a Turkish hacker discovered this. There are plenty of holes in Twitter is just getting the correct exploit to go through them. The problem is now-a-days nothing is secure.

HaHaHaHa... So I can assume, my private DATA @ Twitter might now be roaming around in PEN drives to SALES people so that I get one more extra SPAM mail.I request all members to NOT post information specific to TIME on twitter. Things like, 'I am going to school now", "I have a party at 6.00 pm'... Messages like these where your private life TIMINGs are revealed are dangerous. I Strongly Recommend everyone to use twitter only DURING working hours.If you are a student, Please use twitter only using your mobiles while you are at school. When I say this, I simply mean... give CRITICAL data on twitter only during hours where you are OCCUPiED by School or office. So that a NASTY hacker will not ABUSE the extra information he gets using your IP address.Regards,shree

The thing that I see getting hacked the most is Twitter and facebook nowadays I can't see why they cant make it more secure like other sites maybe buy some Google Security :).