xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Follow Me Here, Follow Me There --- Is It Getting Out Of Hand?

Social networks are everywhere today and it's not just the individuals hopping onto every network possible. Every "thing" seems to be having a presence on these networks today-websites, companies and what not- all of them are building up profiles on social networking sites. Their intention is to stay in touch with their visitos/customers, etc. but isn't this a bit too much?! Facebook pages for the silliest things and twitter pages for every other company and website - is this all worth the trouble? Yes a lot of enthusiastic people do follow these pages but does the interest hold after a while? It's become some sort of tradition to have these pages - all this seems really funny. It's true that people like these networks but they don't want to use them in this way, do they? Yes there have been some cases where this has proved useful but they are far and few. I just think it would be best if social networks were limited to real people and not every other "thing" ;)

I don't really see the point in following any company just to be informed of small things. It would be more interesting if these companies chose to make conversations within these social networks, not do things as if they were oblivious to their own fans and followers. For example, while i could contact support using some other method, if i had a query and decided to use one of these social networks to get a response, i should not be redirected to support else where?i should be given a desired response. From a business perspective, this can only be seen as a way of attracting more attention to themselves in hopes of increasing revenue. Perhaps if they gave away some information about the company that wasn't already known through these social networks, then it might be more worth it to follow them or "become a fan," but that is less likely to occur, i would say. Perhaps OpaQue can use this topic for the Xisto Facebook account.

I use friendfeed to keep eye on multiple social networks. It's really hard to keep up with too many social netwoks these days. Friendfeed updates multiple social network and that way i can even use RSS feed updates on multiple social networks. Twitterfeed has setting to do just that. Though many people will hate this concept as adding BOT to update social network is not SOCIAL in reality.I do think we should have Xisto mycents server status update on twitter account along with other xisto server status account. I mean whenever opaque makes changes it should be displayed over there.

Perhaps if they gave away some information about the company that wasn't already known through these social networks, then it might be more worth it to follow them or "become a fan," but that is less likely to occur, i would say

I don't see that happening in many places. Companies are just too busy to do that sort of thing. Updating these networks can become a tedious process and when the list is big one simply loses interest. But still they proudly display the links to these pages wherever possible. I've looked at the Xisto facebook page briefly, and the activity there is not something that we can be highly impressed about. But at least the info over there is fresh. This is not seen on a lot of other such Facebook pages. And don't even get me started about twitter - even if they update it regularly, it's not worth reading :P

I do think we should have Xisto mycents server status update on twitter account along with other xisto server status account. I mean whenever opaque makes changes it should be displayed over there.

Do we have a twitter account to begin with? It's not a bad idea. For once I could be reading something useful on twitter if this happens ;)

Social networks are everywhere today and it's not just the individuals hopping onto every network possible. Every "thing" seems to be having a presence on these networks today-websites, companies and what not- all of them are building up profiles on social networking sites. Their intention is to stay in touch with their visitos/customers, etc. but isn't this a bit too much?! Facebook pages for the silliest things and twitter pages for every other company and website - is this all worth the trouble? Yes a lot of enthusiastic people do follow these pages but does the interest hold after a while? It's become some sort of tradition to have these pages - all this seems really funny. It's true that people like these networks but they don't want to use them in this way, do they? Yes there have been some cases where this has proved useful but they are far and few. I just think it would be best if social networks were limited to real people and not every other "thing" :P

Why Facebook is a waste of time? Well, I really don't follow those, except every once in a while. :( I don't even go in there once a week. :( Its not that addicting as you might think. I have like 50 friends (which i all know in real life) and i still don't think i should go in there, if you have a lot of friends, maybe pay for a better phone service (unlimited) and talk with them all you want or txt them. Or just use Skype. :P When people started using Orkut as a site for social networking, no one ever felt that these sites were really a waste of time. :D It has been many years since Orkut was launched, and the site is still being used effectively by many. As the purpose of those who wanted to develop an online network in society is already solved, sites like facebook might not stand out now as anything new and wonderful.It is really a waste of time for people to spend time on sites like facebook, but many people are eager enough to know about others and befriend as many people as possible. They are delighted to meet friends, and enjoy sharing many things with them. Facebook might not be boring or a waste of time for them. ;)

Probably, these types of sites can be made use of to develop business relationships with the friends, and sometimes get to know each other more closely. Some people disagree that these sites will aid in maintaining business contacts, but it is correct to block online social networking sites like Orkut and facebook in offices while people are at work, as well as in class rooms. It is definitely a waste of time for them to be browsing Facebook instead of doing their work. It really diminishes the productivity of the company.Of course, the profile of a person in Facebook will enable you to know more about the person, as well as his or her profession. It is not always necessary for everyone, all the time, to know about anyone personally and professionally, unless it is essential on personal grounds.Facebook might be useful for the part of the population who are interested in lavishly spending time without any focus. It will be a waste of time for those who are engrossed in their office work or business, or busy making money online. :(

Do we have a twitter account to begin with? It's not a bad idea. For once I could be reading something useful on twitter if this happens

With new name and other working stuff going on. I don't know opening a twitter account is priority of opaque right now. We do have xisto account on facebook and then linking these two will hardly take few seconds. I think twitter updates for important xisto announcement is better way to start this. They are not supposed to post some interesting things or so but atleast server status and other updates are fine. i don't expect much from the company social media accounts. I've multiple twitter accounts and i'm waiting for getting xisto updats. Oh well have to wait till opaque opens it.

Why Facebook is a waste of time? Well, I really don't follow those, except every once in a while. biggrin.gif I don't even go in there once a week. tongue.gif Its not that addicting as you might think. I have like 50 friends (which i all know in real life) and i still don't think i should go in there, if you have a lot of friends, maybe pay for a better phone service (unlimited) and talk with them all you want or txt them. Or just use Skype. tongue.gif When people started using Orkut as a site for social networking, no one ever felt that these sites were really a waste of time. laugh.gif It has been many years since Orkut was launched, and the site is still being used effectively by many. As the purpose of those who wanted to develop an online network in society is already solved, sites like facebook might not stand out now as anything new and wonderful.It is really a waste of time for people to spend time on sites like facebook, but many people are eager enough to know about others and befriend as many people as possible. They are delighted to meet friends, and enjoy sharing many things with them. Facebook might not be boring or a waste of time for them. dry.gif
Probably, these types of sites can be made use of to develop business relationships with the friends, and sometimes get to know each other more closely. Some people disagree that these sites will aid in maintaining business contacts, but it is correct to block online social networking sites like Orkut and facebook in offices while people are at work, as well as in class rooms. It is definitely a waste of time for them to be browsing Facebook instead of doing their work. It really diminishes the productivity of the company.Of course, the profile of a person in Facebook will enable you to know more about the person, as well as his or her profession. It is not always necessary for everyone, all the time, to know about anyone personally and professionally, unless it is essential on personal grounds.Facebook might be useful for the part of the population who are interested in lavishly spending time without any focus. It will be a waste of time for those who are engrossed in their office work or business, or busy making money online. smile.gif

i completely disagree with you deadmad7, even i agree that facebook is kind of fun websites. but it is really useful in many ways. through facebook i can follow the latest news of my family and friends, i have about 30 friends or more, following their news via sms or phone is hard to do. while, i can simply open my facebook page and know a lot of them through photos, comments, even we can chat there. another point, facebook profile isn't public, you can't see one's profile unless he allows you, even more you can add privacy to your profile, personal info, photos...ect.

believe it or not, i communicate with my family through facebook more than mobile or email. we live in different countries, so it is so hard to know everything regularly only by phone. therefore, facebook is one of the options to chat with them, know what they are doing, and the most important, i can know from their profile more than they already told me. i have two brothers younger than me, they kind of hiding things but i always get them through facebook ;)

also, i created an account, and a page in facebook related to my website, in the first few days, i didn't have a lot of friend or fans. but in a couple of weeks they increased a lot. and now i am connected to many websites that specified in web designing and developing. they really did a great job. i can follow their latest work and topics through facebook. i think it is the most useful social community till now.

One of the reasons why many companies are moving into the social media screen is because of the success of Facebook and Twitter. Having a presence in such domain means opportunities and exposure to the public. Whether is it popular, it does not matter, as long as there are 1% of the "crowd" are with you, then you have made it in the social media screen. Moreover, you dont have to spend any advertising fee and it is free.ps. To friend or To unfriend you ;)