xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Which Kind Of Website You Will Choose Php Or Asp?

I really have no idea what ASP is and I have never used it. I can't really classify myself as an expert of any programming language, not even html. I was introduced to php because most software such as forums, portals, and blogs use it as their programming languages. So when you have to deal with forums such as PHPBB and edit copy/paste hundreds of lines of php, you learn a little bit about it. It seems that those who posted before me, such as SemSem know more about it then I do. However, I do know that all the major softwares are in php. For blogs and portals, both WordPress, Joomla, PhpNuke, and etc use php. All of the major forums use php. I don't even know a single software that uses ASP, can anyone mention are popular software that uses it?

I really have no idea what ASP is and I have never used it. I can't really classify myself as an expert of any programming language, not even html. I was introduced to php because most software such as forums, portals, and blogs use it as their programming languages. So when you have to deal with forums such as PHPBB and edit copy/paste hundreds of lines of php, you learn a little bit about it.
It seems that those who posted before me, such as SemSem know more about it then I do. However, I do know that all the major softwares are in php. For blogs and portals, both WordPress, Joomla, PhpNuke, and etc use php. All of the major forums use php. I don't even know a single software that uses ASP, can anyone mention are popular software that uses it?

well harlot i will try to explain more about ASP for you:
ASP is the shortcut of ACTIVE SERVER PAGES, it is a programming language that make you create dynamic and interactive web pages, just like PHP.
a lot of applications and websites using ASP, especially now, after releasing ASP.NET which is part of MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO. it is so popular for those who use VISUAL STUDIO, and want to get a certification from micrpsoft.
and just like PHP using MYSQL to manipulate with database,ASP using ADO to manipulate with database.
also it could deal with AJAX, JAVASCRIPT and CSS just like PHP.
hope this brief information will be useful to you. :)

well harlot i will try to explain more about ASP for you:ASP is the shortcut of ACTIVE SERVER PAGES, it is a programming language that make you create dynamic and interactive web pages, just like PHP.
a lot of applications and websites using ASP, especially now, after releasing ASP.NET which is part of MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO. it is so popular for those who use VISUAL STUDIO, and want to get a certification from micrpsoft.
and just like PHP using MYSQL to manipulate with database,ASP using ADO to manipulate with database.
also it could deal with AJAX, JAVASCRIPT and CSS just like PHP.
hope this brief information will be useful to you. :)

Thanks web, I am going to Google it tomorrow and see what it is all about. I have heard of Visual Basics, I think that is a problem similar to Visual Studios. I actually had Visual Basics but never learned how do anything with it except for create a crappy browser using a step by step tutorial where I just copy and paste what they told me to copy and paste.

I do remember hearing about ASP on facebook maybe. It may have been regarding facebook apps or something along that line.

I read all the posts send by the users and found the reason php is more popular and familiar(as far as i think).One of us said that php is like c , c++ and more oop languages (This is a very good reason)2nd which i think is php offers simple type of codding and advanced as advance as any language.That was the only reason i started to work in php because i got to understand the basics of the language pretty easily and got to know everything.And slowly slowly progresses and currently i can create most of the things as any one can do.U say u like phpMyBB i can create more advanced forums in php in minutes at the moment and u wont believe that i started using it around a month or so and before that i hated c++ but know i love it alsoIt offers basic as well as advanced functionality that is the best thing of any language.I am a fan of phpI love it.I love it.I love it.

Hmm, that's an interesting topic web_designer. As most people said here until now, I somewhat prefer PHP, but I suppose that's because I use it more in Wordpress and similar programs. When I'm working in a local company, we use our own ASP Content Management System, so I do know a thing or two about ASP.NET, but I am a bit rusty since I was using PHP intensively for some time now.However, these two are not the only Server-side languages and I am a bit interested in learning Ruby, since I really like its syntax and what some people have done with it on their websites. For me, it seems as a "geek heaven" to use Ruby, but I can't say for sure until I "digg" (:D) deeper into it.

Edited by Little Asterisk (see edit history)

well Ruby in comparison to php & asp carries a huge learning curve. I mean we do know most of the cpanel's do come up with it but many of us don't know how to deploy ruby on rails application using it. There is definitely a huge process as far as i know. I'm trying to work on one of the ruby on rails application but the trouble is that i can't deploy it because i don't know how. Many tutorials talk about git, bash and other usage for deployment. But i see there is no tutorial at all for the deployment of the ruby on rails application on cpanel. So if we have to do sorting as per learning curve:ASPPHPRuby on RailsPHP requires you to learn the syntax atleast. But that is not the case with the ASP, IDE and C# will do a lot of job for most of typical projects. It's easy to use ASP if you have visual studio. And now comparing that with the ruby on rails PHP & ASP are way better overall.

well Ruby in comparison to php & asp carries a huge learning curve. I mean we do know most of the cpanel's do come up with it but many of us don't know how to deploy ruby on rails application using it. There is definitely a huge process as far as i know. I'm trying to work on one of the ruby on rails application but the trouble is that i can't deploy it because i don't know how.
Many tutorials talk about git, bash and other usage for deployment. But i see there is no tutorial at all for the deployment of the ruby on rails application on cpanel. So if we have to do sorting as per learning curve:

ASP
PHP
Ruby on Rails

PHP requires you to learn the syntax atleast. But that is not the case with the ASP, IDE and C# will do a lot of job for most of typical projects. It's easy to use ASP if you have visual studio. And now comparing that with the ruby on rails PHP & ASP are way better overall.

Yeah, Ruby isn't so widely deployed in the Server-side world (where PHP and ASP rule), but I still think it's worth a shot. At least so I can say (when I'm with computer geeks, of course) that I know Ruby. :) I suppose it'll be a little side project for me now to learn the language... Well, at least the most basic commands.

As for the syntax, I believe no one who has ever worked in any C-based language should have problems understanding most similar languages, and both PHP and ASP (who has a C# underlying code syntax, if you want it that way) are somewhere in the line with it.

And Microsoft's tools (Visual Studio, Visual Web Developer, and the newest Expression Engine Something (there are 3 of them)) really do help while programming in one of their languages (as you said, ASP and, as I said, Silverlight) a lot, they have good - what's it called - snippet indication (I can't remember the exact word right now :D).

You know, the thing which appears when you type in a method or function or whatever.

Is either one of these more efficient than the other in terms of CPU/RAM usage or are they about equal?The more I get into web development the more I'm realizing that the more efficient things really do matter once you get to a certain point, so as of lately I've been more into what works best rather than what's easier, :P.

You know, the thing which appears when you type in a method or function or whatever.

That is called as Intellisense. Microsoft's most of the tools have that functionality. Be it visual studio or web matrix or expression engine or simplebasic etc etc.

Is either one of these more efficient than the other in terms of CPU/RAM usage or are they about equal?

Not sure about that. But as far as i know, PHP's performance on windows platform is not so good though. ASP's performance on non-microsoft platform is poor. That's how i see it. And performance of PHP/ASP need to be viewed with CPU/DB queries. I mean many times server gets down if there are too many queries.

That is called as Intellisense. Microsoft's most of the tools have that functionality. Be it visual studio or web matrix or expression engine or simplebasic etc etc.

YES! That's it. Sorry I was to lazy to check it out in my Visual Studio... :blush:

Not sure about that. But as far as i know, PHP's performance on windows platform is not so good though. ASP's performance on non-microsoft platform is poor. That's how i see it. And performance of PHP/ASP need to be viewed with CPU/DB queries. I mean many times server gets down if there are too many queries.

http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/ might help to RPGSearcherz. ;)

I will choose PHP. Because:

Its open source

There are more software for it, like Wordpress, Joomla, etc.

Most of the hosts offer PHP, since its free

PHP means Linux hosting, which is more reliable as far as I know

PHP has a really cool, recursive name! :)

Okay, I've just found another great and interesting PHP Content Management System, built totally on CodeIgniter: http://designelemental.net/sitemanagr/

Like most free CMSs nowadays, its interface reminds me a lot like (the old) Wordpress which is -- quite frankly -- not such a bad thing. Wordpress has got a nice interface and, as long as Automattic is OK with it I'm OK, too. You can look at the interface on http://designelemental.net/

It seems to have an interesting analytics screen, as well as an "Events" page. They also have an integrated E-mail newsletter, but it's a shame the Demo link -- http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

-- on the site leads to nowhere (404 Error :()...

So, there is another very interesting CMS/Website management software -- and I'm not yet a hundred per cent sure how to describe it -- I've noticed just now, that helps you publish podcasts. It's based on Python, and also available as a plugin for Wordpress and Joomla, which is great for people who already have their own content publishing systems set up. https://www.workday.com/en-us/pages/mediacore.html

(P.S. Is everyone OK with me posting new cool CMSs I find here? I can make a new topic if anyone thinks I shouldn't be posting here.)