xisto Community
OpaQue

New Name For Trap17 [resolved] Changing the domain name Trap17.com

is KnowledgeSutra.com a good name?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the outcome of a domain name change has the possibility to be positive but it is definitely not likely to be easy. Looking at what you currently have is a well established brand that has several pros. I'll attempt to list a few of them. 1. Short and Easy to remember domain name ( Personally I struggle to remember people's names 5 seconds after meeting them even after shaking their hands and looking them in the eyes and repeating their names but somehow the current domain name stuck to my memory from the first time I read it.) 2. Already established listings in search engines etc. 3. Current domain name does at least partly represent what is being done. (people are being trapped by good hosting service) 4. Current name is neutral towards all groups and people. Trying to change this brand without losing any of the pro's will most likely prove to be quite a challenge. As far as I have witnessed, it seems that all of the newly suggested names has fallen short of at least the first and most important pro that the current domain name already has. "Sutra" must go: Do not underestimate how many people would avoid visiting a website from the workplace due to the name even sounding like it could be related to adult content. In the same breath this could be positive for your traffic as 90% of the Internet is adult content. Do you really want to attract that type of audience? If the name fails to be neutral towards all groups and people you will end up luring some groups and alienating others. Avoiding names that support one religion, spirituality , race or nation is important if your target market is going to be over the entire world. I think a compromise can be worked that will keep most of the pro's. Here are some names that I ramble off perhaps some of them will help.

infotraptrapinfopin17infopinpintrappincluetidingstipammoammotrapcluehook tiphook tiptrap tiptralorepinloreleakkeypintipleakpinleak tippin

Ooo the possibilities are endless... which ones will work??? .... Arrgh it's driveing me insane :angel: Good Luck in your quest.

I think the outcome of a domain name change has the possibility to be positive but it is definitely not likely to be easy. Looking at what you currently have is a well established brand that has several pros.
I'll attempt to list a few of them.

1. Short and Easy to remember domain name ( Personally I struggle to remember people's names 5 seconds after meeting them even after shaking their hands and looking them in the eyes and repeating their names but somehow the current domain name stuck to my memory from the first time I read it.)
2. Already established listings in search engines etc.
3. Current domain name does at least partly represent what is being done. (people are being trapped by good hosting service)
4. Current name is neutral towards all groups and people.

Trying to change this brand without losing any of the pro's will most likely prove to be quite a challenge.

As far as I have witnessed, it seems that all of the newly suggested names has fallen short of at least the first and most important pro that the current domain name already has.

"Sutra" must go:
Do not underestimate how many people would avoid visiting a website from the workplace due to the name even sounding like it could be related to adult content. In the same breath this could be positive for your traffic as 90% of the Internet is adult content. Do you really want to attract that type of audience?
If the name fails to be neutral towards all groups and people you will end up luring some groups and alienating others. Avoiding names that support one religion, spirituality , race or nation is important if your target market is going to be over the entire world.

I think a compromise can be worked that will keep most of the pro's.
Here are some names that I ramble off perhaps some of them will help.

infotraptrapinfopin17infopinpintrappincluetidingstipammoammotrapcluehook tiphook tiptrap tiptralorepinloreleakkeypintipleakpinleak tippin

Ooo the possibilities are endless... which ones will work??? .... Arrgh it's driveing me insane :P
Good Luck in your quest.

I wonder how much MyCents you got for that :angel:

I wonder how much MyCents you got for that :angel:

I was not keeping count , if this is not a non post count sub forum i guess it would be round about 1.00 mycents. It's not like i was desperate for mycents because i don't need to earn mycents for at least 3 more months before i really need to post again. My post is there because i wanted to added my view on the original subject. If it's too long , im sorry. And i don't think codebox counts to mycents in anyway.

LolAnyway so what exactly is kn owledge sutra being turned into now?I think a Top site Index would be a pretty cool idea... and only Xisto - Web Hosting and / or Xisto Would be cool

ok, here is the website home-page being developed, please take a look and give me your opinion. n e w s u t r a . c o m

Flash site ? whoa ? are you planning to have website showcase like FWA ? cool.by the way, those thumbnail view are not expanding into something i thought it was lighbox effect but it's not working as of now. can you make it easy for us to submit sites i mean instead of forum post submission why not have submission form where we can place the details and you can grab screenshot automatically ? By the way, you picked music from "rise of nation" opaque ? :P, DMCA notice from microsoft is coming your way LOL. Nice flash design. +1 :angel:

I doubt if they would object, Incase it happens.. I will compose a good music on my own - please tolerate it then :angel:

I got into this thread a little late but ....

I'm not crazy about anything with "sutra" in it. I understand where the word comes from and everything but unless you intend on re-educating the western world ahead of time, it will be associated with something sexual. For thousands of years the swastika has been used as a symbol of well being among the Hindu and Buddhist cultures but I don't recommend you renaming yourselves "Swastikas-R-Us" either.

I am currently job hunting and, as such, am making myself a contact card. I want to put a reference to my new website on it. "Xisto" I HATE. I don't think I could face an 87 character URL for my site :P

I know it's a matter of personal taste but I like Xisto. It's just weird enough to be memorable but doesn't have any cultural baggage associated with it. At least not that I can tell. Since we do seem to be a rather global group, I think it's important to consider that aspect (not having a name that makes a significant number of people uncomfortable). The only downside I see to Xisto is that one may wonder what happened to the person who went browsing into a Trap16 site :angel:

Just my 2 cents worth

KnowledgeSutra ain't that bad but I was expecting a cooler name! (opps).

know it's a matter of personal taste but I like Xisto. It's just weird enough to be memorable but doesn't have any cultural baggage associated with it. At least not that I can tell. Since we do seem to be a rather global group, I think it's important to consider that aspect (not having a name that makes a significant number of people uncomfortable). The only downside I see to Xisto is that one may wonder what happened to the person who went browsing into a Trap16 site blink.gif

I'm with Rael IAK with the Xisto name. The name ain't cool but it's a TRAP! LOL. And members of Xisto comes from different part of the globe so it would sound good to give it a complete english name like: knowledgebase or knowledgetrap, both of which are already taken.

I got into this thread a little late but ....

I'm not crazy about anything with "sutra" in it. I understand where the word comes from and everything but unless you intend on re-educating the western world ahead of time, it will be associated with something sexual. For thousands of years the swastika has been used as a symbol of well being among the Hindu and Buddhist cultures but I don't recommend you renaming yourselves "Swastikas-R-Us" either.

I am currently job hunting and, as such, am making myself a contact card. I want to put a reference to my new website on it. "Xisto" I HATE. I don't think I could face an 87 character URL for my site :P

I know it's a matter of personal taste but I like Xisto. It's just weird enough to be memorable but doesn't have any cultural baggage associated with it. At least not that I can tell. Since we do seem to be a rather global group, I think it's important to consider that aspect (not having a name that makes a significant number of people uncomfortable). The only downside I see to Xisto is that one may wonder what happened to the person who went browsing into a Trap16 site ;)

Just my 2 cents worth

I suggest you get hosting & your own domain from us, before you start printing your visiting cards. If you want to link your articles on Xisto, you can create a forwarder in your domain (eg. myDomain.com/category-fruits -> Xisto.com/forums...) and set it to redirect people from your domain to your Xisto-member page or posts. When people came here with domain name "Xisto", I m sure, Xisto will catch good attention too.

As for the racist part, there are many words in English dictionary originated from Hindi and Sanskrit too. Just how Xisto is 2 words, similarly kama-sutra is also 2 words. However, the first word of the domain name being important is put in English. The second word sutra was taken from sanskrit, because knowledgeTHREAD.com is already taken. One more point, Sanskrit does not have any official WRITTEN language. Its a language made purely on the basis of sound. You can use any script/language to write sanskrit. :P

You went and changed it even when we tld you no ;)

I think the whole point of this poll is just to say that the site is going to change, it seems like he probably already decided and was most likely hoping people would like the new name but he would go ahead regardless of what the outcome of the poll would be. OpaQue is the admin and it is his right as admin to do what he wants with this domain and forum even if we do not agree with him.

What is a major inconvenience is that we require flash to even get to the forum link. Lucky for me I correctly guessed and added \forum to the end of the url otherwise i would have not have made it back. Normally when i find a site that demands flash whilst i do not have it installed I just close the page and make a mental note to never return. I can imagine some new visitors will be like me and think it's not worth it if they have to install flash to see what the page is about. Sometimes I use flash but not all my computers has flash nor am i going to bother to install flash on every single Linux distribution that I use.