xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zagubadu?

Listening To Rap? POT HEAD

I was looking around on the internet a few days ago for laws on certain drugs. I wondered around a bi ton got on this website that apparently helps parents know if their child is on drugs. This site made me mad actually because they're so dumb and rip on so many people who listen to certain types of music. This site basically said that if your child listens to rap you should suspect that he/shes smoking pot. :P I know right. It goes on to name other genres like punk, metal, JAZZ. :angel: For drugs like heroin, crack, LSD, ecstasy, and others. They say that if parents here their children listening to this type of music they should watch them more closely, search their rooms, and even drug test them. ALL FOR JUST THE TYPE OF MUSIC THEY LISTEN TOO. Well I feel sorry for whatever person is out there being suspected because of music. I don't really think the typical parent does this ( Mine Don't ) But at the same time I don't doubt that some parents suspect. Mostly rap ( No offense to people who listen to this genre ) but that's mostly because of what they sing about ( Sex, drugs not all of them but most of them :D ) Anyone else here of any parents ever doing this? I used to smoke pot and I HATE RAP SO MUCH!

Punk, metal, jazz and rap for drugs? Yummy! :Pwtf they think we're going to listen to then? Pop? I just hope someone made a nice, looooong DoS attack on that site! Anyway, jazz is the true pothead drug. They smoke that in jazzclubs, I hear. Ecstasy for Disco/Trance/whatever club music and heroin for the rest :o LSD for people that only listen to the music in their own heads :angel:I think these people writing this stuff should consider that because the artists of these genres mostly use a particular drug, it doesn't mean that their listeners will. It's not like I smoke pot and sniff heroin off my hi-hat when I listen to Jazz, you know... :D

well you smoke pot don't you? ofcourse you do! your so called friends jacked ya and fingered you and you got caught. i don't think listening to any types of music is a HUGE influence on wether you will smoke pot or not. i do think any types of media though are an influence on people. i'm 41 but don't even think i don't understand the younger generation. i remember too well who listened to what and the sililarities between them all and the differences between all the clicks. parents want the best for their children and i have to agree that some media is inappropriate. but heck, i was a kid and i didn't care much for other peoples opinions. i felt if i wasn't hurting anyone including myself, whatever i did was ok. personally, you're only a kid once so take advantage. i'm sure when your 80, you wont be blastin' easy e where people will see you boppin' to @#$% the police! it's a phase....haha parents are concerned though and rightfully so because music will still have an effect on people in different ways. that's why people listen to it. because it DOES have an effect and an influence. if it didn't you wouldn't be listening to it. so....can the effects be bad ones? sure they can....and it's a parents job to make sure it doesn't. it's YOUR job not to know what you're listening to if you feel they will have a problem with it(as a child ofcourse). later on in life, you will grow a set and start being more responsible like your parents.....YUCK!

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

well you smoke pot don't you? ofcourse you do! your so called friends jacked ya and fingered you and you got caught. i don't think listening to any types of music is a HUGE influence on wether you will smoke pot or not. i do think any types of media though are an influence on people. i'm 41 but don't even think i don't understand the younger generation. i remember too well who listened to what and the sililarities between them all and the differences between all the clicks. parents want the best for their children and i have to agree that some media is inappropriate. but heck, i was a kid and i didn't care much for other peoples opinions. i felt if i wasn't hurting anyone including myself, whatever i did was ok. personally, you're only a kid once so take advantage. i'm sure when your 80, you wont be blastin' easy e where people will see you boppin' to @#$% the police! it's a phase....haha parents are concerned though and rightfully so because music will still have an effect on people in different ways. that's why people listen to it. because it DOES have an effect and an influence. if it didn't you wouldn't be listening to it. so....can the effects be bad ones? sure they can....and it's a parents job to make sure it doesn't. it's YOUR job not to know what you're listening to if you feel they will have a problem with it(as a child ofcourse). later on in life, you will grow a set and start being more responsible like your parents.....YUCK!

Ahah. I kind of get the feeling that your somewhat attacking me here. I don't smoke pot. See just the fact that I used to smoke like once a month 2 months ago. ( Yea the time I got caught was going to be my once a month ) So I haven't smoked in a while. I am affected by music I like it a lot but its never made me physically change my opinions about anything or whatever. I still think this website is hilarious I'm looking for it now. The way the explain these things is so funny. Its like the second you hear your kids listening to rap start the search. CAVITY SEARCH! ( No not really :angel: )

i wasn't attacking ya bud, far from it, but i have to see the perspective of other people as well.i remember when i was a teenager. my parents left for a week on vacation. my grandmother was babysitting us. anyway, in the middle of the night one night, i snuck out my window to meet a friend of mine who was already by my window. well, we walked around most of the night at the school we attanded. we actually climbed on the roof. since all building were connected, we just explored the rooftops for a while. when we walked back to my place which was around 3-4am now, i heard the phone ring. from inside my house. i was still outside with my buddy. i told him to get going and i was going to just stay outside. well, a neighbor called the house saying that there was suspicious activity going on around the house. after she hung up, my grandmother checked the kids rooms and aha! i wasn't there in my bed. she went outside for a bit, came back in and back to bed. i snuck back in the house and decided i wasn't going to stay in my bed, but sleep on the floor in my sisters room so if she questioned me where i was, it would be obvious i was in between my sisters beds and pretty much out of sight.next morning she woke me up and asked where i was. she said she saw me outside by the side of the property and got in to a car that drove off. well, that wasn't true....haha.....and then she accused me of being on drugs. hahaso anyway, yea....people will jump to conclusions and judge, it doesn't make them right. at the same time, it might not make them wrong either. the point i was trying to make is that parents or gaurdians have a high responsibility to guide a child and there is a thin line between freedoms and guidance. it's up to the parent to know what exactly is influencing a child either in a positive or negative way and act accordingly even if they be misjudging. kids don't realize how much love their parents actually have for them and the expectations of wanting them to grow up happy and out of any trouble that influences outside the home can create. sometimes they feel powerless and they want to gain back some control. thus, certain statements that might not be true. but, kids have to live with the rules and the statements. if they are being judged falsely, at least the kid knows he or she is better than that. my point to this post was to say it's not just rap music where people will judge. it's anything you do. but if you look at certain statistics in the behavior of children or adults listening to certain kinds of music or watching certain types of movies or playing certain types of games, it's kinda amazing how truthfull some of the judgements can be. although prejudice to judge and group everyone together as one, there is truth to most everything even if you don't see it.for me, no, i wasn't on drugs, but i was doing something i shouldn't have been doing. in that case, it can be just as bad because if the police picked us up, they could have easily detained us at the police station until someone picked us up. and then, maybe child services would get involved because the parent or gaurdian doesn't know how to control their child.so don't think i was attacking ya. i've done some crazy stuff in the past i shouldn't have. but there are other perspectives than just yours or mine that hold some truth too. hope you liked my little story. it's fun for me at times to remember the crap i used to get in to as a kid.... :angel:

HAHAHA what the hell? i hope parents do not go on those sites, because what that site is pretty much sayingis that if you are in any way remotely different in music taste, or alternative, then there must be something wrong with you, aka you are doing some drugs HAHHAthat is kinda funny though.. i feel bad for the children of the parents that visit that website though.what ignorance does to usthat is worse than the people who are saving Lady gaga is the aluminati puppet, just because of how she dresses etc, and what she stands for..

What website is this? Mind showing us a link?And... this is absurd. Unless they have solid facts and statistics to back up their claims that a certain type of music leads to drug abuse, then they have no room at all to make claims like that.

That's such a joke. "Yeah, Mom - I listen to alternative and metal so I'm sitting here in my room shooting up heroin for shits and giggles." It's ridiculous to assume that just because one listens to a certain type of music, they're doing drugs that are associated with that culture. That's probably where it comes from though to be honest - when you think of a rap video, what do you think of? Blunts, "*BLEEP*es," and forties. When you think of rock, what do you think of? I know I think of a lot of talented people who were taken before their time due to the effects of drug abuse. That still doesn't mean that just because I listen to a certain type of music that I'm going to do the drugs that are most often associated with it. I mean, if that's the case, then we don't have anything "clean" to listen to but religious music and country music - and even country is a stretch considering that they sing about alcohol so much. (No disrespect intended to country music - I was raised listening to it and I still listen to it every once in a while.) At the same time, we have to look at the history of the culture of these genres of music. Stereotypes exist for a reason. I am from West Virginia, the queen state of stereotypes, and you know, once upon a time, we may have been running about uneducated and barefoot and it got blown out of proportion. Stereotypes always stem from the same thing: the state of a minority being applied to the majority as a whole. The same goes for music. The drugs are associated with it for a reason; it didn't just pop up out of nowhere. I'm not saying it's right - in fact, it's very, very wrong, but that's the way it is. Also, parents have an obligation to protect their children and keep them safe. What kind of parents would they be if they didn't? Yes, parents can be overbearing at times but if I were a parent, I'd rather be safe than sorry. Now, as a child, I have a totally different viewpoint but you have to place yourself in the parents' shoes. That being said though, that website is giving some of the most absurd advice. If I were running that site, I'd tell people to look for personality changes, secretiveness, your child actually acting high, track marks, ANYTHING, before I'd tell them to base their opinion on what type of music your child listens to.

Edited by SaraInWasteland (see edit history)