xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

How to make a PORTAL

You DON'T have to make a portal, gladiator.

There are already premade portal systems that you can implement almost instantly, and they're called CMS's (content management system)

Here are examples:

PHP-Nuke

Xoops

Mambo Open Source

PHPWebsite

PostNuke

WebGUI

You can Google them to take you to their official sites or mirror ones. Note that they use one scripting language or another. If you're not comfortable using scripts, then you can try free portal templates offered by free sites. You can used these templates to simplify you site foundation. But if you're looking for a good portal system, try one of those above.

basically, u get a host that supports mysql and php.then you download, for example, postnuke from their website. upload the correct files, then run the installation file (After it's been uploaded). that should basically install the postnuke portal system. all of this is in the readme file after u download the .zip or whatever, from their website

Anyway PHP Nuke is included in Cpanel. You can find it in the scripts library. Install it when you need it. PHP nuke is quite an interesting portal system..anyway the correct word is webportal, or if you like, content management system...By the way, what do you need it for? People usually create a website and update it as needed. CMS are usually for articles, reviews and stuff. CMs are also slightly more complex. You own webpage is much more customisable. And if you want member logins, you can just insert a small php script into your website. Its not difficult.

You don't actually make a portal system.You can use a Content Management System to manage your portal or you can use XHTML and CSS to build your pages one by one into your portal.Then again, it helps to know what your portal is about.

If you want a good portal with no ads, register and sign up for an account plan. Then through your cpanel you can make a wide range from php-nuke to geeksource.If you want to MAKE your own, learn php and mysql. After that it should be pretty obvious.

In my company that I work at, we use somthing called iPortal, it saves when you come into work, it saves documents and everything, and can all be accessed by the office, its quite simple to use, and really effective, I like it and I think there is one called ePortal for schools to use...

I just love joomla! It took me a while to get used to it. I jumped right into it without really reading any of the tutorials. I regret that and have since learned to read the documentation first. It is easy to get stuck using the web based install, which in my opinion is the easiest way to get it up and running. I had problems with getting the data base names and ftp settings right. Then once installed getting the articles to associate withe the correct menus is still giving me fits. My favorite part of the install is tweaking the templates using my limited html and css skills. I guess if I just sat down and tried reading the documentation first I would have a lot better luck putting together a quality site. Good luck with the wide world of portals.

Try Drupal drupal.org, best cms i used, and don't use joomla.Joomla seems the better option at first but after you site will grow, if it will u'll see the limitations of it. But it depends what your plans are.But if u have multiple editors (ppl that write articles) for your site, or you what to make a community site Drupal is the better choice. It requires from you to know a little about php for the more advanced options, but you don't have those in joomla anyway. :PBUT again if u have just a blog like site with you beeing the only editor, and no intentions for getting bigger go with joomla cause it's easyer, just think about it real good so u don't regret it. Although i recommend wordpress for this type of sites :P