xisto Community
balavalli

Help On Weird Paypal Transaction Please

hi i made a logo to a client from Canada and he sent me some $$ via paypal and i see the transaction and when i see other day surprisingly it showed free reversal and the amount is sent back to the payee. with out my involvement and i told the same to the client and he sent me the amount again and same thing happened again. After that i got a mail from paypal saying like this :

Hello Balavalli ,  Your payment of  5 has been sent back to the sender of the payment.   We reversed this payment because we have stopped allowing personal payments to be sent to or from India.  If this was a payment for a purchase of goods or services, and not a personal payment, then you may contact the buyer and have him or her resend the payment as follows:  (a) click the Send Money tab, (b) select "Goods," and (c) provide a shipping address.  If this payment was a personal payment such as a gift, then we have requested that the sender find another payment method until we restore personal payments to and from India.  We are trying to resolve this issue as quickly as possible and we're sorry for any inconvenience.  Thank you, PayPal

I would like to know whats this all about? Am totally new to paypal.Please some one help me sort things out. Ill be indebted to those who helps me sort out this. Thanks in advance.

regards
balavalli

yea, this is a new thing that paypal is enforcing for whatever reason. i am assuming you are from india. so what they say is true. they aren't allowing any personal payments to or from india. their instructions seem quite clear if it was for a purchase for goods or services...

(a) click the Send Money tab, (:) select "Goods," and © provide a shipping address.

what is not clear about that? since you were the seller, you need to contact the buyer in canada so he can send the payment the RIGHT way. he is not doing it the right way.

It seems paypal has stopped personal payments in india. This is probably due to a large number of spam or similar events.Forward that email on to the person who is trying to send you the money and tell him to enter his address as the shipping address. Basically what paypal is doing is forcing you to act as a seller like an ebay seller, whereby he would buy something (the logo) and then you would wrap it up and post it off to his address which he needs to provide. I know the logo isnt send as a parcel, it is sent via email or whatever, but paypal wants the address to verify that you are both real people and it is a buyer/seller situation.So ask him to try that and forward him on the email from paypal so he understands.

I just got my 15 AUD$ reversed from paypal. They reversed it under title of fraudulent activity. WTF.. What in the wildest wet dreams of paypal they think that fraud activity for elance.com payments ? bravo paypal..Now i have to ask my project buyer to follow all the instruction of paypal and resend the payments. Else i have to start accepting payments via alertpay or some other processor. Seriously i got turned of with this piece of s***. Have to wait til Google checkout or some other payment processor takes over online money transfer activity,seriously there is harassment going on with paypal.

paypal always sucked and they always cheated people. people used paypal because they were convenient. i laugh now when i hear so many complaints because i have been warning people about paypal FOREVER!

Well the problem is paypal is accepted in more merchant locations than any other company. So many online services and sites are using paypal as alternative to cheques. That is the only reason i'm sticking with it for business. If i get chance to pay some other hosts using alertpay/google checkout then i have no issues. And in my case, project buyer who followed the exact instruction still unable to make payments using paypal to any indian account using paypal. If people stop accepting it for their goods/services then i'm sure paypal will learn some lesson for offending people, Ebay isn't everything for most people. Besides ebay has very less sales here in asia in comparison to amazon so paypal will be useless if asian people get better alternative.Alertpay/Liberty reserve are some good options to get money but trouble is with withdrawal and online usage with those processor. I heard that i can withdraw using alertpay, so i'll be checking that one out. If not alertpay then google checkout is the one that i'll be trying out.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

paypal always sucked and they always cheated people. people used paypal because they were convenient. i laugh now when i hear so many complaints because i have been warning people about paypal FOREVER!

I've only had one bad experience, which was that I was told to wait for delivery as a buyer and it went over the 40-Day dispute. Despite what you think, there are many sellers out there both genuine and fraudulent who are making a very profitable return using paypal. Paypal is ideally for merchants as the commission is far less on their returns - as they earn more.

PayPal is a smart company, there are a lot of problems, of course - like any other company (maybe somewhat more with paypal) - but I thought I'd outline the advantages and disadvantages of PayPal in general,

Pros

- Easy to set up for consumers - and businesses / merchants
- Quick - Easy transactions
- A very high level of security checks to prevent breaches
- Very buyer focused (may be regarded as a disadvantage for merchants but it ensures genuine products are bought and sold)
- Growing internet users = buyers from around the world
- With the UK - and many other countries, an integrated system from a local mail service which allows you to print stamps on envelopes
- Most ebay sellers prefer the service.

Cons

-Recovering money after a fraudulent transaction is quite difficult at times,
-Admittedly, they have a very poor customer service,
- Many merchants of high value consider the merchant account inconsiderate of new practises. It is sometimes seen as amateurish.
- If someone asks for a refund with excellent cause (i.e. non-genuine goods) they are able to keep the product and get their money back.
- Paypal are therefore vulnerable to fraud which bypasses their loose laws on buyer vs merchant disputes.
- They have a commission which may be considerable depending on deposition to bank account.
- If your account is frozen - and you are innocent of fraud, it may take years - or never, before you can retrieve your earnings.

As you can see, there are lots of advantages to the common buyer or seller. But for merchants - they have to be more aware of the regulations. But risks follow any business, profit/loss - if sellers are genuine, and have an excellent and pleasant customer service / refund policy, they can be very successful.

yup! all the pros you mentioned is what i was talking about being "convenient". but look at all the cons. they totally outweigh the pros. and yes, TERRIBLE customer service. you're talking to a robot who has memorized a two page manual....and forget about talking to a supervisor. they are worse than DELL.you say paypal is a smart company? i disagree 100%. the built their business on convenience and they take advantage of it. i was a paypal user ever since they were offering everyone $10 just for signing up. i am not going to say i didn't make money off them, but their practices ARE amaturish and definately not smart.i look at paypal and how it has grown over the years. i also look at their competition now and i personally think that if it wasn't for ebay buying them out, they would already be out of business because their are better companies out therenow that paypal is limiting their field in india, my only question is.....who's nextthey have no vision and they think short term. they can't forsee problems so when problems do arise, they screw over their members who entrusted their money with them. from the very start, paypal was unstable, and FAR from reliable....BUT....paypal is convenient. i will give them that....until their screwups make them inconvenient....

Well slight diversion to topic. But anyone who have signed up for alertpay will get email from them with title either "send and receive money India" or "send and receive money Asia". Just to pick the users from india/asia as their payments are blocked by paypal,this is business opportunity for them :) Perfect timing to get customers from asia(especially india).

Paypal has given very bad reason of government and local authorities issue of payments on their official blog. But other payment processors are doing just fine if they made reason of clearing with local bank exchanges etc. So this looks like trouble for paypal. If they didn't settle this early then i guess many people will migrate to systems like alertpay or another and that will drop paypal into internet payment gateway competition among other services. Even 1% of loss is going to bite them due to banning payments in asia. More worst if any freelance company like elance/getafreelancer started accepting alertpay/2checkout or webmoney/perfectmoney. :D

now that paypal is limiting their field in india, my only question is.....who's next

Oh they already started reversing Philippines members as well. I have seen many pinoy members on mylot complaining about it. So here we go again for the fall... :(
Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)