xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

Hacker Installed Programs On My Computer?

hi, i have a question about something weird happening. from time to time i keep seeing programs installed on my computer but not by me. to be more specific norton security scan or macafee security scan. i am sure i didn't installed something like that. because i already install kaspersky internet security or trend micro. so, anyone has any idea about that??is it a hucker, malware or virus???

hi, i have a question about something weird happening. from time to time i keep seeing programs installed on my computer but not by me. to be more specific norton security scan or macafee security scan. i am sure i didn't installed something like that. because i already install kaspersky internet security or trend micro. so, anyone has any idea about that??is it a hucker, malware or virus???

Hey, Just to clarify a bit how do you know norton and macafee secuirty scan is installed on your computer, do they appear in the add remove programs list under control panel ?

Are you the only one whom has access to your computer ? is this computer your work computer managed by IT staff ? or your own private machine?

Fact: Usually anti virus do not like and won't allow other anti virus to be installed at the same time as this will create conflicts and slow your machine down.

One other explanation is you came across one of those websites that does a fake scan on your computer. The browser will look exactly like a standard windows, window while scanning for virus's and then pick up fake infections. I usually laugh so hard at these, cause i run Linux and their is just no way they are fooling me with those fake windows in my browser. On a windows computer i'd be quite paranoid cause those sites probably attack your computer and install junk on it. The best protection against this on windows is to use Firefox with the noscript plugin installed. Do not use IE for browsing!!!

Tip: Always make sure your anti virus is up to date and run a full system scan at least twice a month or so.

ok let me explain you something, or maybe ask you first did you install some new programs? what are those?did you also know that some programs have a add-on? what I mean is example you isntall some program like java it will ask you to allow to install the open office softwares, yes maybe you install a program that when you isntall that program will also install the anti-virus you have now

Don't you think it is a bit weird for a hacker or virus to install programs that would protect you from the hacker or virus? New pre-built computers always come with pre-installed software, so if you have recently gotten a new computer, or if you have recently reinstalled the system using a restore CD provided by the distributor or manufacturer, that would explain it. It's hard to pin-point the exact reason with so little information.

Many times when you install software on your computer, there's a little checkbox there checked to also install some crapware like yahoo toolbar or some security scan when you're about to download adobe flash for example. Always customize your installs to prevent this kind of intrusion from happening. Now, simply uninstall those programs and be careful from now on. + download your software from trusted sites, you get less malware. :)@tf:Isn't it kind of rare that a manufacturer would include 2 competing scanners in a pre-built computer?

Isn't it kind of rare that a manufacturer would include 2 competing scanners in a pre-built computer?

Good point, though the topic starter did say "or." "Or" can mean a multiple of things, like reinstalling the system and then installing programs that installed more programs, or using an old system and installing programs that installed new programs, et cetera. But have you ever seen a program install an anti-virus program, that is, rather than just a mere toolbar (for some browser)?

thank you all for your fast reply, and i am sorry for not being that clear. the computer is my private laptop. nobody use it just me and my husband and he is sure he didn't installed anything. my os is windows xp. 3 days ago i found norton security scan on my desktop and in control panel also i found a program called bonjour and i couldn't remove it. after one day my windows goes down and halted. when i made system scan i found virus gamestheif magania. so i formatted my system because i couldn't fix or remove the virus my system keeps halted and i couldn't restart or shut down. after the format i installed my programs. and i am sure i didn't install any antivirus but trend micro. i have a vista original system comes with the laptop when i buy it but i don't use it i prefer using xp so i installed it, the hardware configurations and all the programs. after few hours i saw macafee security scan on the desktop and control panel too so i just remove it and ask you for help

I don't think formatting your hard drive will remove a virus. I could be wrong though. You could have just downloaded a good anti-virus program like kaspersky. They offer the latest version on their website for download, for about 30 days trial period. I have Kaspersky 7, and it works very well. I have downloaded virus infected programs before, and it neutralized them all, keeping my computer safe. You can also scan for current viruses and eliminate them too.

thank you all for your fast reply, and i am sorry for not being that clear. the computer is my private laptop. nobody use it just me and my husband and he is sure he didn't installed anything. my os is windows xp. 3 days ago i found norton security scan on my desktop and in control panel also i found a program called bonjour and i couldn't remove it. after one day my windows goes down and halted. when i made system scan i found virus gamestheif magania. so i formatted my system because i couldn't fix or remove the virus my system keeps halted and i couldn't restart or shut down. after the format i installed my programs. and i am sure i didn't install any antivirus but trend micro. i have a vista original system comes with the laptop when i buy it but i don't use it i prefer using xp so i installed it, the hardware configurations and all the programs. after few hours i saw macafee security scan on the desktop and control panel too so i just remove it and ask you for help

Good point, though the topic starter did say "or." "Or" can mean a multiple of things, like reinstalling the system and then installing programs that installed more programs, or using an old system and installing programs that installed new programs, et cetera. But have you ever seen a program install an anti-virus program, that is, rather than just a mere toolbar (for some browser)?

Oh I read that in a little hurry :)In fact, I've seen adobe's downloads website trying to install norton security scan, you can prevent by un-checking a checkbox :D The most annoying kind are those Firefox plug-ins you can't delete or deactivate!

However, by the latest post of the thread starter, it seems that it came with the reinstallation.

Hi web_designer!As some of the others on this thread have suggested, we cannot really solve the mystery of how or why all of the programs start appearing unless we have corralled all of the facts related to the case. You make us feel like Sherlock Holmes already!One of the most common sources of un-explained programs is that of other programs. When you install Yahoo! Messenger and use the standard installation method, the installer automatically installs the Yahoo! browser toolbar for you. Instead, if you choose the custom installation method, the installer provides you with a checkbox to indicate that you do not want to have the toolbar installed. As a general rule of thumb, always use the custom installation mode, especially if the software that you are installing is freeware and not something that you had to pay for.Software can also get installed on your computer if you have been browsing websites. Some websites use ActiveX controls to install software that is necessary for the website to work correctly, although some rogue websites can install software to promote other vendors. Ideally, a website should ask you if you would like to have any additional software installed, even if it really is necessary for the website to run correctly. As knoppixusr suggests, do not use Microsoft Internet Explorer for browsing the Internet unless you are visiting a trusted website. If you use Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Opera, you have an option of disabling Javascript that you can use when visiting websites that you do not trust (although I am not too sure if Google Chrome provides you with that option).If you have a computer that was provided by the office, and if Microsoft Windows was installed and configured by the office I.T. staff, chances are that they have added you to the corporate domain, which can enable the I.T. staff to install software for you remotely without your knowledge; the only indication that you would have about the software being installed is the presence of new icons in the system tray, the presence of icons on the desktop, new shortcuts appearing in the program files menu, or new items appearing in the Task Manager's Process tab (not all of the running program are visible in the Applications tab, and when you do switch to the Process tab, ensure that you check the checkbox that says, "Show processes from all users"). It is possible for programs to evade all of these means, and sometimes the only want to tell if you have certain programs running on your computer is by the effect that they have on the performance of your computer, or by unexpected behavior occurring at certain times.By the way, when you were re-installing software on your computer, did you use original software? Sometimes, software cracks can carry with them malware that an attacker could use to take over your computer. Using installation DVDs or CDs from the original vendor are your best bet in dealing with tampered software. Just because the software installs with an installer instead of running an executable directly does not mean that it came from an authentic source - malware developers can create installers that look exactly like those that came from the original vendor. When running the software, if you experience unexpected crashes and all other software seems fine, then the software could be the suspect - just as cracks prevent the software from detecting that a trial period has expired or that the software has not been registered, the software can also be altered to seem as though it were legitimate while performing malicious operations in the background.Other than watching what you install, you might want to make sure that you have a firewall up and running. Microsoft Windows enables you to select different levels of security for the firewall depending on whether you are accessing the network at home, the network at your office, or a public wireless network. You may be able to disable your firewall at home if you do not have other computers that could be affected by viruses or other malware - the most common case when you would want to do this is when you have a media player that you want to synchronize with your computer and you do not have any other computers (read as no other Windows-based devices on your network) on your network. You should also avoid plugging in USB devices or using DVDs or CDs from other users because they could auto-run executable software without prompting you to perform an action. This behavior can be disabled from the Windows registry, but it may (unlikely, yet possible) cause some software installations to fail, especially those that require multiple discs to install.

HiI am in a terrible situation. Somehow a program got onto my machine that is used to hide folders, and in those folders is illegal material. Fact is, I did not install that program, nor do I know anything about it. Can a hacker do this without me noticing? I use malware, super anti spyware and avira, non detected anything. I am the only user of this pc.Please I need help.Thanks