xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Echo_of_thunder

Haiti And The Us What if?

By now we all know of the Earth Quake in Haiti and the over 100 Million people lost. Countries all over the world have come to there aid, from The US to Japan even Cuba. This got me to thinking what if?What if the 7.0 or even bigger had it somewhere here in America. Would other countries come to our aid? Remembering back to Sept 11th when GW Bush said no thanks we will handle it, when other countries wish to give us support. If a disaster like that happened now, would they even bother to ask if we even needed help? Myself I feel as very very few would. Maybe Great Britain would, Maybe France but that's it. The US has become the "helpers" of the world, but if we needed the help do you think that they would help? What are your thoughts about this and why?

yes.....i do.i used to live in northridge california. a place where normally, people don't really know eachother all that well. even the neighbors. it's part of los angeles. you can walk down the street, and as you walk by a stranger, say hi......as they bow their heads pretending not to hear you.during the northridge quake though, i was out and about and it was amazing how i had seen other people help eachother. i mean, people that needed help their own selves were lending hands to help others. it was quite an amazing experience. a disaster like that to bring out the best of people.what i have learned is that even though we rarely see the good in people, it's still there. it's as natural as being born. so yea, i think other countries would try to help....whether it was the government or the citizens. it doesn't look good on us when we deny help though because the it denies others to feel good that they could feel good by doing good.

Yes I know that there are countries would help not only france, great britain but also countries from asiaif... Obama will accept our help as you said GW bush didn't accept the help, we all know that US is powerful todayand rich and other countries are poor even our countries is poor we can help by the terms of rescue operation not that much in support and america I think can handle it all US wants to show the world that they are strong andcan handle all tragidies well thats a good attitude somehow but accepting the help of others would be much better

Of course they would. They wouldn't even had a choice. We have helped a lot of countries through their problems. ( I personally think we shouldn't butt into others buisness, but when they needed help thats a different story ) Well they would help if we even let them. I'm not sure how Obamalama would handle that.

I can't keep track of all he places that Canada has helped throughout the world. The difference is that we don't throw it up into the media main stream.

well I don't think US need the help of other countries since they can handle and they are powerful in terms of money,however some countries can help with the means of rescuing and some other stuff that don't need money so much,countries from asia are friendly and I think the problem is GW bush because he didn't accept the help after all

We are more advanced technologically than most other countries, and we would not need help if a disastrous event occurred here. I am pretty sure when Katrina occurred, we did not receive any help from other countries. We just solved our own problems, and it seemed like it turned out okay. We had a fine government, but in places like Haiti, they don't. It is a corrupt government, and that is why they need help from other countries. They could not solve this disastrous occurrence of weather, and required the aid of others. Maybe Great Britain and France would help us, but who knows if we would accept their help? I doubt that our government would accept the help. That is my opinion on this subject matter, though, and my opinion is not really all that important, because I do not know how they would react.

Not many states are known to have earthquakes, and even though we are borrowing money from other countries, we are still pretty well sustained. But what troubles me the most about this is that it takes a big natural disaster for the media to even consider doing something good for someone else. Forget about anyone else starving in any other country, forget about anyone else without a home in any other country. Sure, Haiti could use our help, but once they've received our help, the media will stop caring and will go back to its usual self. You know it will, we've seen it done before.And has anyone seen that Bush and Clinton fund ad? That ad troubles me a bit, for why would people such as them need our money? Don't they have more than what many normally have? And don't they have connections? I can only hope that they are putting in a significant amount from their own share.

Not many states are known to have earthquakes, and even though we are borrowing money from other countries, we are still pretty well sustained. But what troubles me the most about this is that it takes a big natural disaster for the media to even consider doing something good for someone else. Forget about anyone else starving in any other country, forget about anyone else without a home in any other country. Sure, Haiti could use our help, but once they've received our help, the media will stop caring and will go back to its usual self. You know it will, we've seen it done before.
And has anyone seen that Bush and Clinton fund ad? That ad troubles me a bit, for why would people such as them need our money? Don't they have more than what many normally have? And don't they have connections? I can only hope that they are putting in a significant amount from their own share.

You bring up a very good point. Lots of people are dying from starvation sure they don't all die from it in one instant but over time millions have died from starvation and lack of medical aid. But you don't really see that on the news.

Not many states are known to have earthquakes, and even though we are borrowing money from other countries, we are still pretty well sustained. But what troubles me the most about this is that it takes a big natural disaster for the media to even consider doing something good for someone else. Forget about anyone else starving in any other country, forget about anyone else without a home in any other country. Sure, Haiti could use our help, but once they've received our help, the media will stop caring and will go back to its usual self. You know it will, we've seen it done before.
And has anyone seen that Bush and Clinton fund ad? That ad troubles me a bit, for why would people such as them need our money? Don't they have more than what many normally have? And don't they have connections? I can only hope that they are putting in a significant amount from their own share.

Yes, I see that commercial pretty much every single day, a few times a day. They both must be really rich, I hope they are each contributing a lot of their own money to that fund they advertised. It is kind of odd they would broadcast asking for money, and not donate some of their own.

That is another good point. People starve in places, are killed, and high level officials only act when the media is covering this, and it is all over the news. They just want to make themselves look better. If it was not so dominated on the news right now, I am sure they would not even bother to help out, because it would not help their image if every ones attention was not faced towards it. It is nice they are even helping though.

The United States is always so eager to help out other countries when disaster strikes. Well, guess what? During the Hurricane Katrina, back in'05 ,

Allies offered $854 million in cash and in oil that was toaccording to U.S. officials and contractors. Most of the aid went uncollected, including $400 million worth of oil. Some offers were withdrawn or redirected to private groups such as the Red Cross. The rest has been delayed by red tape and bureaucratic limits on how it can be spent.
addition, valuable supplies and services -- such as cellphone systems, medicine and cruise ships -- were delayed or declined because the government could not handle them. In some cases, supplies were wasted.

The struggle to apply foreign aid in the aftermath of the hurricane, which has cost U.S. taxpayers more than $125 billion so far, is another reminder of the federal government's difficulty leading the recovery. Reports of government waste and delays or denials of assistance have surfaced repeatedly since hurricanes Katrina and Rita struck in 2005.

but furthermore , the US has declined offers and aid that could have helped save lives!

And while television sets worldwide showed images of New Orleans residents begging to be rescued from rooftops as floodwaters rose, U.S. officials turned down countless offers of allied troops and search-and-rescue teams. The most common responses: "sent letter of thanks" and "will keep offer on hand," the new documents show.
Overall, the United States declined 54 of 77 recorded aid offers from three of its staunchest allies: Canada, Britain and Israel, according to a 40-page State Department table of the offers that had been received as of January 2006.

A lot of countries offered aid. The Bush administration accepted some of it but, from what I can learn, turned most of it away.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?titleternational_Aid

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

So yeah, don't jump into conclusions thinking that we are the ones helping other countries and that the other countries are not helping, cause they are!

By now we all know of the Earth Quake in Haiti and the over 100 Million people lost.

I think you meant 100 thousand or you're not telling us something we don't know, perhaps. Then again, you may be on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th echo, and we'll never know.
Besides, do we really need any more earthquakes?

I would say that I'm 90% sure that other countries will assist the United States if something disastrous would happen. United States have been helping out all of its allies for along time and pretty sure it will continue until a war breaks loose or something.Especially now since we have a new president I'm pretty sure everyone will ask again since its someone different then Bush.the what if im wondering about is.. when global warming going to take affect.Every year now we have been experiencing a lot of weird acts from the weather and environment, so pretty soon we'll be next o.O