xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mra550

What Is The Point Of The Small Buttons Next To Google Results? I dont know... there is like.. three different ones.

yeah you are right I am new but I feel like the forum is dieing and only saw a few old membersall are new members like me.I also saw that if I am not mistaken it is the up arrow image and down arrow image isn't?when you click the up button into one result that result will go up and when you click the down it will go down?when you hit the X the result will be deleted? right? is it?well I think the use of this one is to record what is the best result for you so the next time yougo and search for it the one you turn up and down or even X is recordedthe one you X will not show anymore in your search and the one you up is going to always beat the first place of your search but its only in your account if you try to search in different IP and computerthat result will not be the same as what you up,down,X The first time I saw this one I thought it will make my blog in the first page XD well maybe im wrong

Hey people... this forum seems dead lately. I don't know why, but all the old members in this forum seems to have ran away. :) I'm rather sad, so I thought I should post something new and hopefully get this forum alive again.

This is the question: What is the point of the small buttons next to Google results?

Hmm. I don't know if you guys see it. Maybe you don't if you don' t log in into Gmail. But anyway. So... I was logging in, right, and I went to search on Google. And I found that... on the results page... there are like, Three little buttons where you can comment on the web pages and "promote" it and "comment" stuff.

So, I searched for "meaningless birthdays", and the philosophical post that I wrote came up first, and when I pressed the "promote" bottom (next to "cached"), nothing happened. Well, maybe it's because it's already at the top of the search engine, so I went to search for something else.

So I found another page... it was something to do with categories on my site. Ah... I found it. The category for the meaning of life on my site. And it wasn't ranked first. So when I pressed promote, it went all the way to the top of the page.

Now... my question is: I don't understand. Is this like a bookmark thing that Google has so that your favourite pages for this particular topic will always come first? Does it affect your SEO in the long term? So... let's say if lots of people promoted this link, will it gradually become first in the search engine results?

I know it's rather hard to explain... but I swear it is there. Haven't noticed it before, but once you do, it isn't hard to find it. :D

Does anyone have any experience with this feature on Google, and can someone tell me more about it?

Thanks, Nameless_

I too have noticed the lack of posting lately. I have three topics that are almost untouched but have lots of views. I do not see the buttons you are talking about but when I searched "meaningless birthdays" yours was the first. Can I get a picture? I just don't see anything when I search in Google.

Hey people... this forum seems dead lately. I don't know why, but all the old members in this forum seems to have ran away. :( I'm rather sad, so I thought I should post something new and hopefully get this forum alive again.

This is the question: What is the point of the small buttons next to Google results?

Hmm. I don't know if you guys see it. Maybe you don't if you don' t log in into Gmail. But anyway. So... I was logging in, right, and I went to search on Google. And I found that... on the results page... there are like, Three little buttons where you can comment on the web pages and "promote" it and "comment" stuff.

So, I searched for "meaningless birthdays", and the philosophical post that I wrote came up first, and when I pressed the "promote" bottom (next to "cached"), nothing happened. Well, maybe it's because it's already at the top of the search engine, so I went to search for something else.

So I found another page... it was something to do with categories on my site. Ah... I found it. The category for the meaning of life on my site. And it wasn't ranked first. So when I pressed promote, it went all the way to the top of the page.

Now... my question is: I don't understand. Is this like a bookmark thing that Google has so that your favourite pages for this particular topic will always come first? Does it affect your SEO in the long term? So... let's say if lots of people promoted this link, will it gradually become first in the search engine results?

I know it's rather hard to explain... but I swear it is there. Haven't noticed it before, but once you do, it isn't hard to find it. :)

Does anyone have any experience with this feature on Google, and can someone tell me more about it?

Thanks, Nameless_

If you use the promote button, your searches are remembered. Fine, but every time you try to see if your page ranking has increased, you will find your materials at the top of the pile, and the offenders having been removed.You are no longer rooted in reality. ALTHOUGH, the Wiki search has this function, and notes if you are the first to make the choice, so obviously, they are paying attention

I dont think it will be good if google keep this feature for per user basis. It would be better if certain percentage of ranking decide by public. Now a days it is not possible to obtain bulk ads clicks from narrow ips and hence google wont allow in this case. Currently, the promote and remove buttons are per-user: theyre not really a tool or a web-wide Hot or Not tool. Theyre just a way to organize your search results. But in the world of SEO, if theres a way to exploit this feature, it will be done. Its early yet, so time will tell, but my bet is this remaining in its current per-user form: it better.

I must say it is nice to see your site at the top. Even if it only on your own search page.

I too have noticed the lack of posting lately. I have three topics that are almost untouched but have lots of views. I do not see the buttons you are talking about but when I searched "meaningless birthdays" yours was the first. Can I get a picture? I just don't see anything when I search in Google.

Zagubadu, You must login to google to see promote button and when you log out all your promoted sites disappear. until you log back in. They also look like the following :

Posted Image

And also how do you know that this forum is not active, not meaning to be rude , but come on , you are barely here for a few days. I mean even i am new, only here for like a month, i think. Thats all. :D

If you use the promote button, your searches are remembered. Fine, but every time you try to see if your page ranking has increased, you will find your materials at the top of the pile, and the offenders having been removed.You are no longer rooted in reality. ALTHOUGH, the Wiki search has this function, and notes if you are the first to make the choice, so obviously, they are paying attention

I dont think it will be good if google keep this feature for per user basis. It would be better if certain percentage of ranking decide by public. Now a days it is not possible to obtain bulk ads clicks from narrow ips and hence google wont allow in this case. Currently, the promote and remove buttons are per-user: theyre not really a tool or a web-wide Hot or Not tool. Theyre just a way to organize your search results. But in the world of SEO, if theres a way to exploit this feature, it will be done. Its early yet, so time will tell, but my bet is this remaining in its current per-user form: it better.

I must say it is nice to see your site at the top. Even if it only on your own search page.

Zagubadu, You must login to google to see promote button and when you log out all your promoted sites disappear. until you log back in. They also look like the following :

Posted Image

And also how do you know that this forum is not active, not meaning to be rude , but come on , you are barely here for a few days. I mean even i am new, only here for like a month, i think. Thats all. :)

So I am write with my explanation regarding this small icons ? XD its only a guess i didn't know it was for that

and you are right its nice to see our website/blog in top of searches XD but its only in our account

how we wish to build a SEO friendly top ranked site

Basically what the pop-up dialog box says. Comment, promote, and remove. I guess promote is to save the site on your search, comment is to leave a comment, and remove is to remove it from the search.

Hmm... just wondering. Because obviously, if it does affect SEO, then people can create lots of gmail account making bots and all put their sites at the top, don't you think? :) But anyway, a quick search on the internet and it seems like it has been in place since 2008. So I guess I'm just a slow person. :( Haha.

At Zagabuda: I suppose this forum has it's ups and downs. For a while this forum is very high with lots of posts and replies, but before that, it was dead as fish. And this is the newbie season, I think. Lots of newbies and all the old members ran away. I'm very sad. :D Because all of my mentors ran away too, it seems. But anyway. :D

Perhaps Xisto should find a way to actually make old members stay. Because when I joined, we only had a bunch of new but not so new one month or two months old members, and basically very very few loyal old members that has been using Xisto for a lot of years.

But I guess it cannot be helped. I mean, seriously, Opaque taking away the edit feature has made not only one, I think but lots of members run away from this forum. I guess he thinks he is doing to right job, but I think we still have the right to edit it.

:(

I mean, seriously, The moment I press "add reply", this content, and everything that I have written will be his and no longer mine. B)

By the way, why am I suddenly ranting? :)

:) bad thing if those buttons affects SEO I agree to nameless and your post are heavy XD youvegot a lot to say how come you can do that? ooh sorry I was off topic lets go back in the topicyes many botters will create a bot to make a gmail accounts and use this buttons to affect their seo rankgoogle is a smart company so XD yeah they are really smart no one even knows until now their Search Algorithmsbecause they keep it as secrets, im wondering about their workers/employee so if you work for googleyou will learn that? and make a tons of high PR site amazing

The new feature in Google Search is actually called Google SearchWiki. Basically it allows users to vote up or down search results according to their relevance the user feels is appropriate. However, the ranking only applies to you only i.e. the changes you make will only affect the way the search results are ranked for you. This is done by storing changes to the ranking in the user's respective Google Account, avoiding any complications with changed Search Engine Optimisation that will affect other users.For more information of Google SearchWiki, check out the post on Google Search's official blog  and the Google SearchWiki Features / Frequently Asked Questions page (support.google.com/websearch/?hl=en&rd=2&topic=3153588).

By the way, it is in my personal opinion that such a system is not that innovative and useful. I just find the extra buttons and features unnecessary clutter, so I have disabled Google SearchWiki through the Google Search preference page (google.com/preferences) by ticking the option 'Hide the ability to share, promote, remove, comment, or add your own results' under the SearchWiki options.