xisto Community
Baniboy

Introducing Buddy Rich(video)

I'm sure some of you might know the guy, but I found this solo of his and thought of posting a link to it here.
Anyway, Buddy was a jazz drummer(jazz drummers are generally better than drummers playing other styles as their main one). Anyway, he is still told to be the best drummer that ever lived. It's an opinion, but HE IS. :)
He died in 1987 if I'm not forgetting things. May he Rest With Sticks.

Here's the link to the video: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Enjoy.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Wow that's deep ! He does play pretty good , as of me I am not really a drummer but I do play acoustic and light electric guitars .

Wow, that was an impressive display of talent there. It was a good video, I enjoyed watching him use the different techniques. I saved it - it was that good. I watched it a couple times already. He's an interesting drummer, the dynamics of his playing make listening to him pretty captivating. Quiet, loud, fast, slow.. That was an awesome roll too, the build up into a great climax with his arms flailing and cymbals crashing.. great stuff! It really makes the big ending more effective when it's built up to.I can see why so many rock drummers were inspired by him, he's a pretty intense drummer for a jazz guy. Is he doing that thing with the fingers you taught me? It kind of looks like it, his wrist isn't moving at all in some parts, but he's going so fast, it's almost a blur.

Yes, he is using it, but I can't be sure as the video quality isn't that good. He uses it because fingers are faster than wrists. Nice to see you noticed.His accuracy in the solos are so inhuman lol. I have to say tho I sometimes don't like when good drummers just perform speed. That has no melody(mostly) at all. Nothing really amazing in doing the single stroke roll without accents or any noticeable change in a solo. But I did like the acceleration part, especially when he moved to the side of the drum as it kinda reminded me of bossanova. All this judging doesn't mean that I can play any better :) I like speeding, but not for long periods in a solo.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)