xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mtrcyclgrl

Admin's Documents Inaccessable After Crash is there a password bypass?

All right first post (so go easy on me), but let me tell what happened and what has been tried so far...I caught a nasty little bugger on my laptop. After shutdown, Windows XP is in accessable. When try to boot in safe mode, all I got was a black screen and a cursor. Tried a repair from the windows disk.. didn't work. Cannot do a complete format, because I have to have the files saved in my documents. So.. partitioned the drive and installed windows there, so we could at least get IN and do a virus scan, kill the buggers, and copy my documents folder off the system to then be able to do a complete format.Now I have a workable, booting windows on drive E. The problem is.. From the working windows on E, my Documents folder on C- under the old administrator password -cannot be opened, moved, copied. It does not give an option to input the password to access the folder either.And now if I try to boot windows on C, it says it cannot boot because windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or missing. Sooo... I either need a way to get those files system files into the corrupt windows to get it working again, or a way to kill the admin password through DOS? I did try a few windows recovery programs (on a trial) but it did not even recognize the C drive profiles to do a reset. I also tried a couple file unlockers, to no avail.I cannot lose my documents folder!! There has to be a way to get at it.Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

There is a program called ActiveKILL. Download it and burn onto a DVD, run it and remove the administrator password. If you've lost a Windows file, use your Windows Installation DVD to recover the lost files. If not, download your version from the Internet or from a warez site. We cannot give you free copies of files from our installation. lol.NOTE: I will NOT provide warez links to software on Xisto.com. Google search it yourself. :)

Had tried some password removal software, was only detecting the profiles for the E drive windows and not the C drive. Had also tried to repair windows from the recovery CD... no go.Thanks though! I wasn't really asking to be given software, just ideas that I hadn't come across yet.That's neither here nor there anymore... I figured it out!Downloaded Ubuntu, burned to a disk and then booted from CD.. effectively bypassing windows and its pesky admin password. I am now in the process of copying the my document files off and will then run a complete format on the hard drive. (Thanks to whoever posted this idea on another thread.. which I cannot find now... I am a happy girl!)

You don't need any other tools.. From what I understand - You need to change the file permissions to open it in your new current account All you have to do Go to File Properties > Select Security Tab > Advanced > Select Owner tab and change the current Owner.post-61260-1263035413_thumb.jpg(It might be showing an Unknown user in the tab you just have to select your username )It'll replace the owner on the file.Apply and then again go to Properties >Security >Advanced > Permissions and Change permissions on the file according to your requirement .If you want Everyone to have access to a particular file . Just add 'Everyone' as the Owner or add 'Everyone' in the Auditing tab to change permissions :)Hope this tutorial helps.. I am not very good at writting tutorials :DNOTE: This method worked for me when my windows got corrupt and I had my files locked using the Admin password of the old windows. Hopefully It'll work for you also

post-61260-1263035454_thumb.jpg

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.

Download it and convert it to a ISO and burn onto a dvd or cd , open it and run it and remove the the admin pass. If you get a corrupt file in your System32 , use your windows cd to restore it.

I was going to suggest if you were savvy enough to do all that, try taking out the laptop hard drive and use it like an external hard drive (with hard drive to USB drive kit).Copy all files for safe keeping and then reformat your laptop.In the mean time, while reformatting your laptop, you can work to recovering files you copied from the previous task.But, looks like mtrcyclgrl has everything under control. :)

The simplest option is simply to get Ubuntu on a disc, boot into the live version of the operating system and you will avoid all passwords set by windows.Google "ubuntu live disc tutorial". Once you are in the Ubuntu OS just go to "places" at the top and then to your hard drive which will be something like "80gb media" depending on your drive size and that should then be your "C" drive. In your case with the two partitions you will need to look at which media drive in ubuntu is the correct partition which you can easily tell from the size. Then its simple, just go into Docs and settings, then into Admin and then My Docs and you are sorted :)