xisto Community
H.O.D

Which Browser Is Better To Use On Ubuntu Linux?

To add, maybe it also depend which GUI environment you're using with Ubuntu? or Kubuntu? on KDE it's much better to use Konqueror or Opera, maybe even Google Chrome? on GTK it could be better to use Firefox, but if it's slow, when I guess Google Chrome which is available for Linux for some time now!Why not just try out different browsers, run speed tests on them on your system and use the one which satisfies you most. :PI prefer Opera :D nor it's Windows nor it's Linux, but I use OpenSUSE with KDE.

Avant browser is not mentioned at all. It is small browser and it is without any plugins and other load that most popular browsers carry. So this could be one good choice if anyone is really interested in stripped down version of modern browsers. It is fast as well. I don't know which browser engine it shares, perhaps same like mozilla.

Avant browser is not mentioned at all. It is small browser and it is without any plugins and other load that most popular browsers carry. So this could be one good choice if anyone is really interested in stripped down version of modern browsers. It is fast as well. I don't know which browser engine it shares, perhaps same like mozilla.

Avant browser is based on the Trident engine, the engine that Internet Explorer uses; good luck trying to get it to run on Linux. People have trouble running Internet Explorer through Wine, i can only expect the same trouble with Avant.

Avant browser is based on the Trident engine, the engine that Internet Explorer uses; good luck trying to get it to run on Linux. People have trouble running Internet Explorer through Wine, i can only expect the same trouble with Avant.

Ubuntu's old shipit CD's had this browser running for windows users. It used to load when CD autoruns on windows. Not sure how it worked under ubuntu or even worked at all. It doesn't look like IE like to me. But then again as you say it's having trouble under linux so i guess there is no point in it.

i usually use the browser which comes with specific distribution (like Konqueror in kde based and Epiphany/firefox in gnome based) but sometimes i think opera is just better than others i've installed this browser on every distribution that i have and i think it's faster in loading pages and it's faster in first startup. but it lacks of extensions (which makes firefox more flexible than other browsers)& So i'm using a combination for my works.

Pardon me for reviving such a old topic, if you are on ubuntu try out "Midori" web browser, is based on WebKit.If you do web development you can also get Internet Exploder 6 to run with wine for testing websites you might be working on.Ciaoq9c9p

Pardon me for reviving such a old topic, if you are on ubuntu try out "Midori" web browser, is based on WebKit.If you do web development you can also get Internet Exploder 6 to run with wine for testing websites you might be working on.

Ciao
q9c9p

I've been experimenting with different browsers and I've come to enjoy Arora and SeaMonkey as well. I noticed that Google Chrome leaks memory like anything and Firefox is starting to get clunky. Arora and SeaMonkey are both simple and lightweight.

I've been using firefox on Ubuntu for a while now and my biggest problem with it is that it takes a lot of time to start, especially when I use a lot of bookmarks in the bookmark toolbar. There were times when it took almost 20 seconds to start! After starting of course, there have been very less or no problems, but this made me start searching for a better browser for ubuntu. Then I found out that chrome was available for Linux! I wasn't expecting that and anyway downloaded chrome. It gave much better starting times but there were some features that made me miss Firefox.

So this made me continue my search.....can anyone recommend the for using in Ubuntu?

You are already using the best. Firefox is the best I know, indeed. You can try also Google's Chrome, which is even faster, though you do not get so many functions as with Firefox.

I'm using Google Chrome on Windows right now, and I use the same on Ubuntu. Google Chrome is fast, efficient, and safe. I once did a full on, isolated browser test (I reinstalled the operating system image every time I tested a browser), and Google Chrome came out on top. Not only is it fast, it's also open source and expandable. It has a huge extensions gallery where you can add on to the browser as much as you want. It also has artist-made and Google-made themes for you to use which are also all free. A newer added feature is Apps, which let you open a new tab and have a bunch of web-apps that you can choose from. It's like Google Chrome OS in an application! It also scores 100/100 on the Acid3 test.As a web developer and application developer, I suggest you use Google Chrome.

Edited by danielhep (see edit history)

For Ubuntu my favorite one is always FireFox, installing apps is easier in windows than linux but linux gives you more professional and customizable environment, so what firefox do here is providing you tons of extensions which you need in Ubuntu, a browser with lots of extensions is a must when you are using a linux distro and firefox is a lot faster in ubuntu than linux specially in its start time which takes 3 times less to come up for the first time compared to win7 in my machine. Firefox is a lot customizable rather than any other web browser currently available, i even use it as a semi-os and i think we can expect soon to see a firefox OS with extensions as it applications.

But when you are in ubuntu, don't firget Opera too, it is more lightweighted than firefox and renders images faster and with help of its opera turbo you can view pages faster. opera is not very extension friendly and you can barely find usable widgets for it but it comes with many features built in that you don't get in firefox like the Inspect Element functionality which you can get in firefox using FireBUG extension. the adblocking system in Opera is not as powerful as Adblockplus of firefox but there are some ways to use the same database ADBlockPlus uses in opera too. i've found opera to be more friendly with the new looking of gmail compared to firefox because when i open my mail using firefox the scrolling is a bit laggy and the attachement popup comes up slowly but in opera all is very fast without any lag.

I haven't tested chrome in Ubuntu because i don't like it in windows either, i prefer to use opera and firefox together for getting performance and functionality and i have tested chrome in windows and it seems to be something between opera and firefox so i will still try to use FF and opera both at the same time instead of going for Chrome.

@workout : don't put only a link to a browser which you are saying it is the best, put at least the name of it and say a little about the experience you had with it.