xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ben10000

Softaculous Instead Of Fantastico

Is it possible to offer Softaculous Auto-Installer in the near future? Its like Fantastico but its much more user friendly and has double the amount of scripts. For fast installations it really helps.
http://www.softaculous.com/

They update fast also.
WordPress is on 2.9 and Softaculous has it. Fantastico is still on 2.8.6
Plus WordPress Mu is also there

I request you to please consider this

I thought Trap already offer it? I haven't used it for a while, but a while ago it was kind of error because its update (i've made the thread regarding this error)Then the admin suggest that we should use fantastico instead :P

Well xisto offers it for sure. But my experience is that the installation for wordpress and forums is not supported as it gives messages for softaculous higher version required for the necessary steps. So yes, it is there in control panel but not usable as of now. I guess admins can look at this issue as softaculous offers upto date installation for the Wordpress and some other scripts. Scripts on fantastico are way too old on most of my cpanel and this could be security risk if not upgraded to recent version in time.So i hope they either upgrade installations in fantastico or allow softaclous updates.

cPanel is an expensive cost for web hosting providers. We might take it for granted but cpanel is NOT normally included with other hostings, especially the free ones.

And the cPanel company and Fantastico have join venture when purchasing a package. I'm not sure if Xisto - Web Hosting can select what is included with cPanel but for now, Fantastico is the default.

Perhaps in the future Xisto - Web Hosting may include other automated script installers. Maybe it's as easy as flicking a switch to include Softaculous. Maybe it's harder because of the licensing agreement. It's hard to know what Xisto - Web Hosting is planning that offers the best for everybody.

Now, knowing that's involved and reviewing Softaculous, I believe it would be a very hard change/integration. Softaculous offers two versions: free and premium. The free version does not even include Wordpress. Which means Xisto - Web Hosting might have to purchase the premium version. And who will absorb the cost? Hopefully not the paying customers and certainly not the free customers. But someone will pay to offset the cost to operate.

BH, Most of the Wordpress installations in fantastico are dated and i think they are at 2.5.1. Can we have some way to updated version for them ? I mean those who install the software from the fantastico wil atleast get latest version of wp and will not be in risk of getting hacked as earlier versions of wp are hacked as far as i know.

BH, Most of the Wordpress installations in fantastico are dated and i think they are at 2.5.1. Can we have some way to updated version for them ? I mean those who install the software from the fantastico wil atleast get latest version of wp and will not be in risk of getting hacked as earlier versions of wp are hacked as far as i know.

Fantastico provides the stable versions of the popular scripts and I agree that its a bit of an inconvenience to most. However, all webmasters who are a bit techy will always prefer uploading and managing the installations themselves rather than relying on fantastico. I personally feel, Fantastico is for beginners.

As for the bid of switching Fantastico to Softaculous, I feel that softaculous has suddenly changed plans and brought up a PREMIUM version. I can understand giving more features and scripts in the PREMIUM version but I just don't get the point of removing Wordpress from the free version. Wordpress is something so popular that people misunderstand the words blog and wordpress. Removing a script like that just to persuade web hosts to switch to Premium version looks kinda unfair to me.

Thanks.

Yeah i agree to that it is for beginners. But i was concerned more about security as many newbies here may use it without even upgrading and this might affect them. For me,after installing WP from fantastico i immediately install "Wordpress automatic upgrade plugin" and update my installation. :).

Yes. Wordpress is very impressive on how easy to upgrade. I remember the old days where I had to upload file by file...Do as you did--install the version listed in Fantastico and check for the version upgrade. It only takes few minutes and it's automated :)