xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
inverse_bloom

Rc Toys

I thought id share my interest in RC toys. Every christmas i guess it gives us an opportunity to think about what we would "like" to receive as a gift, but never actually do.

Ive always been fascinated by remote control toys. In my mid teens i purchased an electric radio control car but it was rather slow compared to what i was after. It reached about 45 kph (roughly 28 mph) which wasnt too bad i guess, but it was no good for competition as i had tried that out.

My model was the electric Tamiya "Madcap" - https://s.yimg.com/pw/images/photo_unavailable.gif

Which was the next tier model up from the famous Tamiya Hornet (at least famous in the mid 90's). Though it wasnt fast for racing, it had an excellent tendency to do burn outs which was fun (and expensive).

Here is a link to RC truck crawlers they look like they be a bit of fun -
http://www.rccrawler.com/

Here is a short video link to an RC jet fighter taking off, in flight and then finally crashing into a thick patch of grass -
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is cool, here is a video link to an enormous RC SR-71 Blackbird model jet, i saw one on display in a local museum recently which was 2/3's the size of the one in this video (The video is interesting up to the point where he finishes starting it up, in flight you can only gauge its relative speed by comparing it against clouds, which doesnt give much of an idea) -
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

RC toys seem to have become less popular with the rising popularity of more high-tech toys. I remember my first RC truck, it was an all-terrain monster truck. At that age, it was about the best present I ever could have imagined. Toys didn't get much better than that. Controlling a truck with a controller? Wow! I know I was impressed. I used to drive it all around, impressed by it's ability to traverse any terrain, including kicking up snow. I tied a trailer to it and towed things around. My dog liked chasing it too..I've always wanted to try some more RC toys, maybe a boat, but especially a plane. I was amazed that RC toys could drive around, you can imagine how controlling something that could fly would impress me. I think the RC planes are quite expensive, the ones for adults, not the 'toys'. Some day, I'll try them!

My experience with RC toys is pretty limited, but I did get quite a good laugh out of an RC car the young boys that belonged to a former employee of mine had. They boys were playing with it here at the kennel, and I had some pups that just went bonkers when they saw it, they were chasing it back and forth along side their run and boy did they ever want to catch that car! It was really funny to watch.

Hi!Radio controlled vehicles are lots of fun in contests. You don't have the risks involved in rally car racing and the tracks are often proportioned to the cars so you have the same excitement of real world racing - it looks the same too, except for the long antenna sticking out from the vehicle.There are radio controller helicopters that may be unsafe in placed where people walk by and need an isolated area to play with.Most radio controlled cars need batteries and I ran through loads of them - I'd get a new pack of batteries every week and the nine volt batteries cost quite a bit more than the regular pencil batteries (I wonder why they are called pencil batteries because they don't resemble pencils at all - the AAA batteries resemble pencils in width more than the AA batteries).@sheepdogI would think puppies are quick enough to catch a radio controller car, unless the puppies were really small.