xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Macbook Or Laptop?

Well I just started to use windows 7 and I have trouble running some programs that were built for XP, and I found this option like a compatibility mode that windows search the program to see for what version it was built and fix it so you can use it in the new version, and save the settings so you don´t have anymore trouble running the program.

Returning to the threat I definitely would go for a macbook, I´m not a friend of dell, I have never own one, but have a lot of friends that has and they starting to having problems within months with the computer. So that´s not my pc brand if I have to buy a pc I´ll go with a Toshiba because the quality is really good or a Vaio, because I have own one and never had a trouble with it, and that´s the laptop a lot of friends have bought (partly because of me I totally convinced them haha) and it´s working perfectly and they last a lot too, you just have to be careful because they tend to be delicate. (Mine fell from my nightstand and still runing haha but now I can´t put it to hibernate by just closing it :o. (Time for me to buy a new computer :))

@Soviet Rathe
I know what you mean when you say that you weren't able to run your Windows programs on Mac OS X. I had the same feeling when I switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista! I made the switch back to Windows XP and decided to stay put. Windows 7 didn't change much either - it still cannot run software built for Windows XP. The Windows XP Virtualization will not work on Sony Vaio laptops due to the disabled hardware virtualization.

You don't really have to be concerned about not being able to run your existing software what you get a computer with a different operating system. Irrespective of whether you get Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu, you will not be able to run all of your existing software so you might as well pick another platform that can provide alternatives or is better in some other way.

haha. I do agree Dell sucks, their customer support is horrible and you can barely understand the their staff o_O (from another country)and they once called me at midnight!!!Me: um, what time is it where you are?staff: noonMe: Well it's midnight here!but anyway I suppose if I could install windows xp (using the disc I have for this computer) and it runs well I guess I shouldn't have any problems :obut they just added another computer to their inventory it's a 13 inch acer laptop so that's something else to think about :)

but they just added another computer to their inventory it's a 13 inch acer laptop so that's something else to think about

If you have option to choose from macbook,vaio,dell and acer then i think this is easy choice to go for either macbook/air or dell. vaio an acer are not worth the buy any time when we compare them with macbook & dell. If you can't have that many points and lockerz shut down free points system then i think it's better to pick any lower points scale products. In such case, acer or dell is fine.

Well after looking at the specs

MacBook 13-inch
Highlights:

* 160 GB hard drive
* Built-in 802.11n wireless capabilities
* Precision aluminum unibody enclosure
* NVIDIA GeForce 9400M Graphics
* Powerful 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor based on advanced Core microarchitecture
* Built-in 802.11n wireless capabilities
* White polycarbonate shell
* MagSafe Power Adapter; AC wall plug; and power cord
* Lithium-polymer battery
* Install/restore DVDs
* Display polishing cloth

which is the same price as the dell and acer.. and has the same specs as the Macbook air(which is more the double the price) I think I'll be getting this, the only difference between this and the Macbook air is the macbook air is damn thin o_O like.. looking at the screen-shots I can't believe how thin it is.

You should go for that one, to be honest when i look at these things, i consider points in this order - the graphics card, the CPU speed, how well the particular computer is reviewed and finally the make.For that reason I personally favor Asus. The biggest good point i can see about the Mac Book above is it has a respectable graphics card in it. (well compared to anything i have).Also with Mac you are guaranteed good build quality! But acer may not be bad, they can sometimes surprise you.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Also with Mac you are guaranteed good build quality! But acer may not be bad, they can sometimes surprise you.

ACER and DELL are good option if we are earning those high points within the free points system of lockerz. As i afraid lockerz will hardly keep their free points for long time. They'll stop this anytime, most probably in next year 2010 i.e in January onwards. So better to redeem points before they shut their doors of free things and restrict it like cashle or points2shop.

ACER and DELL are good option if we are earning those high points within the free points system of lockerz. As i afraid lockerz will hardly keep their free points for long time. They'll stop this anytime, most probably in next year 2010 i.e in January onwards. So better to redeem points before they shut their doors of free things and restrict it like cashle or points2shop.

Not entirely true.. they will change soon but if you read their faq you will be able to buy stuff from them but you will also have the same ptz system also and you can earn free items. but all items in the pointsplace will be raised 4x but they will also have alot more ways for you to earn ptz, and yes you still get double ptz from bring a z-list member. so free items will still be easy to get.

right now for free prizes in PTZ Place, for entering amazing sweepstakes as many times as you want in the same contest, and for charity donations. After launch, PTZ may be used for amazing discounts on items for sale, free shipping, VIP experiences across the globe as well as free prizes and charity donations in PTZ Place.
4. Why is Lockerz giving away prizes at low levels on PTZ Place? We set PTZ very low to thank our earliest members for helping us build the site. Beginning December 1, PTZ values will increase by 4x on average although there will be many more ways to earn PTZ than ever before. Even with the PTZ increase, prizes will still be very attainable for the active Lockerz member.

Ok so I just got z-listed on Lockerz and there's 2 things i'm interested in getting
MacBook Pro 13-inch Aluminum
and
Dell Inspiron Mini 10-inch

The Dell I can get in just 2 months but the macbook looks better... but I have only heard bad things about Macs like most windows programs won't run on them etc.. so what's your opinion? is Mac better or worse then Windows? and can a windows OS be installed on Mac? :S

i would like to say some words regarding both dell and mac.
since mac is a software closed as well as hardware closed architecture so you can not modify anything in mac hardware.
but in mac os you can also install windows parallely and install softwares.
but in windows you can not install macintosh os.its a crime if you use any patch.
animations graphics and beauty of mac is uncompared.
i think dell is better for general purposes other than multimedia works.

since mac is a software closed as well as hardware closed architecture so you can not modify anything in mac hardware.

I would like to know what is that term "software closed" ? I know that it's hardware dependent but what is software closed and if it means there are less software for it you mean then you're wrong.

but in windows you can not install macintosh os.its a crime if you use any patch.

There are emulators which let you use macintosh on windows operating system. You won't able to use it to max. But it's not like that you can't use it.

Hi!@mahesh2kThe term "closed software" is the opposite of open standards or open source. If you're running Linux, which comes in different distributions such as Ubuntu Linux, Fedora Core, Puppy Linux etc., you're running on open-source software. You can find tons of utilities and software available for open platforms, along with modified versions of the operating system itself.Psystar did a really good job of selling PCs running the Mac OS. You might want to look them up, though I'm not sure if they're still selling any of their systems due to the lawsuit that they are currently engaged in with Apple Inc.

The term "closed software" is the opposite of open standards or open source. If you're running Linux, which comes in different distributions such as Ubuntu Linux, Fedora Core, Puppy Linux etc.,

I don't think that Macintosh is complete closed source. It is based on UNIX (i.e MACH kernel). So most of the softwares for BSD 4.X kernel runs well on macintosh and in fact it is loaded with those open source software to begin with. So i don't think that it is closed software in anyway. I think the poster which i quoted meant it in different way. Cause mac os x, linspire OS which are either derivatives of UNIX/LINUX are indeed commercial versions of those open source softwares or source code. So i disagree that Macintosh is closed source in anyway.

Microsoft is the only operating system left these days which is having closed source kernel and without any open source module in system.

I'll try to help you make an educated decision.For the most part, I aim for hardware specs myself just so I can get the best bang for my buck. The brand doesn't matter too much to me since I don't rely on customer or technical support to fix my own computer, but it might be important to you, in which case I hear that Dell and HP are all right. (It's hard to make that call because some people are hit-and-miss, have horror stories, and their quality of service is always changing.) I believe that Dell makes their computers with cheap parts but that's why they are price-friendly, so if you're looking for a computer that will last you at least a few years, Dell will be good.I've been very happy with HP computers and owned two of them, which one of them I sold for cash and the other I'm looking to sell to update my fiancee's computer. (It used to be mine... go figure that one. :) ) Never had any real hardware-related problems. Their stuff is pretty solid, in my book, for build quality. HP also sent me recovery discs for one of the laptops, no questions asked, after I requested them since I bought that particular laptop on eBay and it didn't come with any discs. In my book, that's damn cool.Usually, my buddy and I [and some of you may know that I] complain about the Toshibas at work. I think, in all honesty, that they are a hit or miss. My buddy's old laptop had some design flaws that caused a handful of very inconvenient problems, not to mention that it's a heat hog. His newer one seems to be playing nice, though. My old laptop had the power board fail and the keyboard/trackpoint design is still horrible, since our IT guy gave me a replacement laptop of the same make and model so I'm stuck with a laptop with an unusable built-in keyboard and mouse. However, looking in retrospect, I think that model is probably six years old, so for lasting this long without going completely kaput, I guess maybe it's okay. But I wouldn't spend a dollar of my own money on a Toshiba laptop.I'm currently working off of an Asus and this thing is built rock solid too. The only thing I have to complain so far about it is that it runs very hot (as you can probably keep your coffee warm on the left side of the laptop where the vent is) but then again, it's a gaming machine and heat is rather unavoidable with a high-powered graphics card.I used to own a Dell but sold it to upgrade, and it treated me fairly well: no actual hardware problems. Never had to replace anything on it. I adopted Christel's old Dell after giving her my HP (thinking it was dead due to a few spills too many onto the keyboard), but I brought it back to life and aside from couple of missing keys thanks to our bird, it treated me very well too. I had a chance to talk to customer support a couple of times with Dell, and although they're not always native-English speaking folk, they always walked me through everything (probably scripted, I'm sure) for troubleshooting with Dell's "secret squirrel keys," and they sent me a replacement keyboard and hard drive with no real hassle. Also, to note, she now has a Dell Studio 17 and loves how she can play her World of Warcraft and do everything she could with the older HP, but better. Of course, if you asked my opinion, I think that the Dell is pretty solid so far and would be so much better if she let me blow Vista away to install XP or 7 on it, but she wants what she wants... That, and I think that the design aesthetics need a LOT of work from the gray-ish interior that we love about our dull Dells. :o I've never owned an Apple. However, I've read up just about everything on Apple just to figure out why there were so many good stories and almost nothing on the bad... and I deduced that Apple is a pretty shady company when it comes to PR, but as far as hardware quality, they're as good as a PC.The differences between Apple's computers and Windows computers is a handful that, to me, doesn't justify the price difference. PC laptops are much cheaper in price and are able to run Windows, Linux, and in some cases, OSX. Apple laptops can run Windows, Linux, and natively runs OSX. There are less than 10% of computer users that run OSX, which means that Windows is the largest target for malware and therefore seems to be the least secure operating system, although it's actually OSX that's less secure (but no one is aiming to write password stealers and viruses just to get at the less-than-10% of the market, hence security through obscurity). With this being said, developers aim to develop software for Windows machines because they are so much more prevalent, and trying to get some programs to work in OSX is either a pain or won't work at all unless you dual-boot OSX and Windows on a Macbook, in which case you have to buy Windows for the Macbook... it just gets expensive. The hardware in Mac machines are not any more superior than PCs since they all run off of the same hardware: a computer is a computer. However, Apple specifically designs its hardware to be as efficient and user-friendly as possible with its operating system, which is why only some PCs can run OSX, but any Mac can run Windows.(The Mac hardware statement is only specific to the hardware inside the laptop.) That means that upgrading for OSX is very finicky, but then again, the most upgrading you'll do for any laptop is just the RAM and not much else.(For anyone wondering if I'm an Apple hater, you can figure that I own an iPod Touch 2G 16GB and love it to pieces because it is actually worth what you pay for... at used prices. Not to mention that I discovered and fell in love with the vast amount of power behind jailbreaking it... and now it's like a Netbook, but even smaller!)