xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Wi-fi Will it match the wired LAN some day ?

Every one is aware that we are heading towards a generation where wi-fi is playing an important role in Wireless Technology. The wifi has evolved over many standards and the present one is said to be 802.11g , and i suppose the previous one was 802.11b. There may be many differenced between the latest standard in wi fi and the previous one but one main difference which i find is that in the bandwidth. The 802.11g supports 54 Mbps and the 802.11b is said to support only 11 Mbps . And the main thing that has to be noted here is that wi fi is half duplex . Half duplex is one where communication is possible only in one direction at a time , though communication in both direction is possible , simultaneous communication is not possible in half duplex which means wifi which we use today is of 54 Mbps and is of hald duplex.Whereas the LAN wired one, where we use UTP ( Unshielded Twisted Pair ) is of 100 Mbps and is Full duplex. Just having these statistics in mind what can we infer ? Is so simple to say that wired LAN is cool though it has some limitation that it needs a wire to be connected and it cannot be used freely like that of a wifi. Still if we see the technical aspect wired LAN rocks in particular for network gaming and so on.Will there be a day where wifi will witness a speed which can match that of the wired one and that too with a full duplex communication ??

It might happen someday, maybe 5-7 years from now. (I hope so.). The N-Draft Wireless, which could go up to 300Mbps promises better speed but still in half-duplex. And the best speed I've seen on a Draft-N router and a Draft-N Network Card is around 240 Mbps. Security-wise, wired is still the best.

Actually Wireless-N has been hitting in the high hundreds for Mbps, I seen standards for 128, 150 and even 300 Mbps. I even saw an article in which this group hit the 600 Mbps mark, so it is possible but sadly the security for such possiblities is not catching up. I haven't heard anything new for Wireless security beyond WPA2 and since WEP and WPA can be cracked in less then 15 minutes. Your safest bet will always be a hardline with WIFI support.

Hi!From an administrator's perspective, if you own the wireless router that you lose the password to, you can connect to the wired network and change the settings on the router with something as simple as your web browser. You could also reset the router itself, in case you are unable to access the wired network too.From a hacker's perspective, every router is your router :-P WEP and WPA keys are becoming increasingly simpler to crack if you have the right hardware. I could tell you more, but then we would both get arrested.

Perhaps going off the point a little, but wireless 4G is supposed to have speeds in the Gigabit range! Of course they are being developed but it will be interesting to see the outcome.

Now with the new wi-fi being implemented every where, that is IEEE 802.11n the wi-fi speed has increased tremendously.802.11N is the third-generation Wi-Fi standard for wireless networking.The key feature in this is that the newly introduced standard, 802.11N is backward compatible with older 802.11g or 802.11b , and it is much faster wireless over longer distances.It is said that the latest wi-fi is capable of delivering throughput speeds up to 300 megabits per second . Now-a-days all new laptops come with a wi-fi receiver which is of 802.11n. :)So has any one used that wi-fi connection ?

WIFI will never be a match to LAN never! WIFI will always be slower as it has to go through the air where it gets interference and the speed will drop. They can keep improving the range and speed though LAN ethernet cables will always come out on top.

WIFI will never be a match to LAN never! WIFI will always be slower as it has to go through the air where it gets interference and the speed will drop. They can keep improving the range and speed though LAN ethernet cables will always come out on top.

This.

Physical connections are always stronger than non-physical ones due to their nature. In the air there is still "contact" but there are also many variables that keep it from being as effective. As a direct example:

Take two walls with holes in each at an equal area on both.
Put a water hose from one hole across through the other one and run water through it. As you'll see, 100% of the water passes through.
Take a spray bottle from the first hole and spray at the second one. You will notice that although some will still get through, a lot of it doesn't.

This is the same thing that is more or less happening with WiFi. If you run diagnostics and see how many packets are lost you will realize that there are a lot more lost via air than through physical cables.

Although this can be fixed in the future if there is found to be a more efficient method to handle the data. I don't really see it happening myself but then again -- I wouldn't have believed satellites and cell phones were possible either.

I'm not sure of the numbers but I read somewhere that they managed 300Gbps or something in a LAN connection. This could be very old data or maybe I'm imagining it, but what I do know is that WiFi will NEVER catch up to LAN. Not in a 1000 years. Both technologies will evolve for a while to come. However, WiFi will definitely reach(maybe it has already) a state where you'll practically not find any difference it and a wired connection in terms of quality.

I'm not sure of the numbers but I read somewhere that they managed 300Gbps or something in a LAN connection. This could be very old data or maybe I'm imagining it, but what I do know is that WiFi will NEVER catch up to LAN. Not in a 1000 years. Both technologies will evolve for a while to come. However, WiFi will definitely reach(maybe it has already) a state where you'll practically not find any difference it and a wired connection in terms of quality.

Someone achieved an Internet connection capable of downloading 100 GB/s in data, lol. So I'm guessing your 500/s wouldn't be an issue -- especially on a LAN.

I think quality wise we're already to the point where you can't tell the difference. You can when transferring files locally but -- and this is the weird part -- I can download files almost as fast as I can transfer them between PC's on a LAN. Sometimes even faster.