xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Is There A Language So Hard That Even Natives Have Trouble With It?

Yes, there is a language so hard that even the native speakers have trouble with it, and it's one we all know: English. Seriously, English is the most butchered language on the planet. There are so many confusing rules in spelling that we actually have spelling contests to see who can just spell the words right. Then there's this new age of chat speaking, where people intentionally use a variation of English, one that is totally wrong, all for the sake of saving a few seconds. You know what I'm talking about, that cell phone lingo where every other "word" is actually an abbreviation, and vowels don't exist unless used alone. (E.g. I, U (You), O (Oh), Y (Why), etc.)

When you brought up chat lingo I expected to see "pwned" in there. It's the only butchered word I ever use. And I use it in real life too. But that's just because I'm awesome.

Hmm I guess you're right - all of us unknowingly butcher our native languages - it's most noticeable only in the case of English! I've recently started observing how people speak around me, and I've noted that they're just too lazy to get their language right - they want to get their point across in minimum time, so they tend to butcher the language :)

Russian (based on Sanskrit i believe) is another difficult one. You'll find when you begin going through the grammar, the details you need to remember quickly multiply. Admittedly i didn't bother learning it too much, actually i should give it another go when i get some extra time. To speak it properly isn't an easy undertaking for the newly initiated, either.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Dear friends in India as I am an Indian, Malalyalam is the toughest language. If I am not wrong Tamil is the easiest one. I am basically a Malayali that's why I know that how tough and difficult this language is. As the alphabets are more than the other Indian languages and many of them looks like the same for a non Malayali.

Dear friends in India as I am an Indian, Malalyalam is the toughest language. If I am not wrong Tamil is the easiest one. I am basically a Malayali that's why I know that how tough and difficult this language is. As the alphabets are more than the other Indian languages and many of them looks like the same for a non Malayali.

Telugu has more number of letters (56, and three additional patterns - a total of 60) than Malayalam so by your theory it is more difficult than Malayalam :o But I do agree that the Malayalam script does look a bit confusing and complicated to a non-native. Well this is just the case of Indian languages. Consider the case of the Chinese and Japanese people - they have to learn a minimum of 3000 and 1945 characters (kanji) respectively before they can read and write normally! Now how tough would that be to a new learner :)