xisto Community
inverse_bloom

What Deadly Animals Are In Your Backyard? Deadly animals you have seen.

that may have well been the likely outcome for valdimir putin. but when one doesn't truely know, it's better to look at the more positive possibilities. i've owned dogs and cats my whole life and it's the cats that have given me the most unnecessary worry and grief. i remember one time a week went by when i was a kid and my cat was still nowhere to be found. it was a year later for some strange reason it returned like nothing happened. 3 years ago, when i was living in missouri, my fiance and i drove to california to be married. we left our cat with one of her friends. while we were in california, we heard the cat got out and ran away. after we drove back to missouri and i found a job in a new town about a month later, my cat shows up a block away from my work. when we got a house, this same cat was left outside to roam(i hate that phase when you have to trust your cat to come back). never came back. i was told many stories. one of which was the people in the subdivision like to shoot cats for sport along with the squirells and such. personally, i can't allow myself to think that if i don't truely know what happened. so i leave myself with the thought that someone found it and took it in as it didn't have a tag.

my fiance and her kid at the time named this cat after me. "dufus" was it's name. it was one of those cats you loved to love and hate at the same time. love, because it was very good at being a lap cat and loved attention. hate, because it was also very very playfull and would pounce on people's heads.

what i know about cats is that they are independant and have a mind of their own even when well loved. cats have put me through more worry than anything else and sometimes they are just meant to venture off to experience life on their own terms. not ours. they have their reasons even if we don't understand them fully. think the best. for all you know, vladamir is alive and well....and although not with you, he is surviving.

i write this only because of what i know through my own exepriences with cats.

Hi anwiii, thank you for the kind words of encouragement. The worst part is not knowing what happened to this sweet cat with any degree of certainty. Vladimir Putin was a true homeboy, a good boy who never strayed far from the house. He was also a large boy with a kitty pouch who made a point of never missing a meal, especially breakfast., so I knew something was terribly wrong when he wasnt there like clockwork for his kitty chou. There are no close neighbors around here. Being in the backwoods of the Rocky Mountain foothills and two hours from the nearest metropolis my nearest neighbor is too far away for Vladimir to have ventured off. Heck, he wouldnt have gone to the neighbors house if it were ten feet away. There is no road nearby that he could have gotten hit by a car on.
After this happened I was hoping for the best, and I made a missing pet sign with his picture which I posted near the county road. Granted, it took me a few days to get around to making the sign as at first looking at his picture was too painful. I offered a very generous reward for anyone with information leading to his safe reward. Weeks later there has been no reply. I am sadly left with the likely prospect he was stolen away in the night by a coyote or other deadly critter.

Edited by anwiii (see edit history)

Vladimir Putin was a true homeboy, a good boy who never strayed far from the house.

Even a homebody cat can develope a case of wanderlust, all it takes is a female cat in heat somewhere within a several mile circle. If you cat wasn't neutered, even after months of hanging out at home, the urge can strike. Most areas have a feral cat population, perhaps a female passed threw close enough for him to get a whiff. What happened after wandering off one can never tell for sure, there are far too many hazzards out there in the wild. Sorry you lost the boy.

Although we may have a few poisonous snakes about, the most deadly animal in my yard, (actually, the goat pasture) would have to be my Komondor dogs. They are a unique breed, they forsake the company of their own kind (other dogs) for the company of sheep or goats, or any other livestock. They pretty much will kill anything that comes into the territory of their goats. Stray dogs, coyotes, mountain lions, even any humans foolish enough to trespass. Fortunatly, they like me. But anything else out there is fair game for them.

there nothing exiting where i live, but i guess thats a good thing right? xDthe most deadly things here is like . . . cows ?, okay its a few snakes here and there but they are mostly not poison ones, i live by the sea, kinda on the outskirts of nothing ! my explaining rocks today.when i was little me and my friends used to dug up piles of grass to look for snakes!, when one of our friends dad were mowing.really dangerous stuff, my dad freaked out once when i came home with a black poisonous snake once, and since it was a baby snake it was even more dangerous!good times

It's for that reason i will never have a pet again by choice. Does anyone have any more stories, there must be many!

Hi inverse_bloom! Id hate to see this experience prevent you from enjoying the company of a beloved companion animal again. I have learned my lesson (the hard way), and in the future will keep all pets indoors under my watchfull eye. As Sheepdog wisely notes, there are simply too many hazards in the great outback of the back yard.

it's better to look at the more positive possibilities.

I admire your positive perspective, anwiii, Oh, if only my sweet Vladimir were suffering from a common case of wanderlust. But alas, this boy was not so common. Every morning I look at the sliding glass window, hoping against hope Ill see his elegant siloutte gracing the back porch. I have grown up with cats of all sorts but Vladimirs loss is especially painful. This fine feline was, dare I say, more human than human. The pure love and intelligence in his eyes was unmistakable. Im sure other pet owners can relate here. Vladimir Putin entered a meditative state upon hearing rain drops hit the roof, he aquired a taste for Wagnerian opera but left the room when assaulted with modern music. He was a gentlemen and mentor to the ruffian rescue kitty, Nigel, who now wanders about the house aimlessly, obviously devastated by the loss of his beloved elder. Nigels personality is not unlike dufus, though Id hardly equate you with such a derogatory term. I often wonder if people understand the power of words and vibrations, and how animals become what we name them. Too bad you didnt have a say in naming poor dufus.
Nigel is now fearful of the outdoors, which I suppose is a good thing. His tail is bent, as if held half staff in memory of Vladimir. Nigel saw something. I fear he saw sweet Vladimir taken by creatures of the night.

the most deadly animal in my yard, (actually, the goat pasture) would have to be my Komondor dogs.

Hey Sheepdog! Good to see you again. I wish my sweet Vladimir had the protection of your brave Komondors that fateful night.

I was surprised to learn how timid a cats life can actually be, I now totally disbelieve the notion of cats having 9 lives. It seems to be better to have a dog but to be honest they don't really grab my attention like a good cat does. My brother has a Chinese crested which looks much like this one -

https://s.yimg.com/pw/images/photo_unavailable.gif

Its a nice dog, its name is "Jabu" but im not sure where the name is sourced from, Africa, Japan maybe? Its not like other normal dogs, when my brother leaves the house it will howl very loud!. I then cuddle it and soon after it calms down. It then proceeds to go into my brothers bedroom, hop on the bed and wait (stationary) for 7 or so hours until it hears the squeaking brakes of my brothers car arriving home!

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Chinese Crested are nice little dogs, is your brothers dog a hairless, or what they call powder puff? They have a sweet, affectionate personality. And of course, the hairless varieties are obviously non shedding. (hard to shed if there isn't any hair) They are however, one breed I won't raise. It is unfortunate that the breed is rather uncommon, and the general public hasn't got a clue as to what they are. I would be afraid of having visitors to the kennel see them and not knowing what they are, they would beat a fast and straight track to the nearest law inforcement agency and turn me in thinking my dogs were mangy and hairless.

Its a hairless, unlike the picture my brothers one has a marginally white crest towards the back. It also has fluffy white legs. Its actually a big version of the breed (a mid size dog) it weighs about 15 kg. It slightly cowers each time you walk past it and sometimes you have to chase it a little to pat it. It plays with the cats and is like a gentle giant to them.Definitely not a dangerous animal in my backyard! Although perhaps it is in its imagination.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Hmm, where I live at we have a lot of poisonous snakes and spiders. But that's because there's a lot of farms nearby so there's swamps and stuff.Really all animals are poisonous though, just some won't be able to inject you or your body can fight off the disease.