xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Continue My Story! Write The Next Chapter.

I'm not much of an author, but I think it'd be fun to do one of those things where people write different parts of a story. Whether you have confidence in your writing skills or not, feel free to continue the story in any way you feel would be interesting or fun. Make it serious, insightful, or completely ridiculous. It's up to you!Chapter 1.It was a dark and stormy night. The rain was picking up, the patter of drops on the thin aluminum roof of my small worn down shack sounded like a thousand tiny soldiers marching out of rhythm. The haunting calls of wild coyotes pierced the thick noise of the rain. They were hungry, nourishment was scarce these days. I knew this all too well. Visible only in my imagination, these beasts were off in the distance, they were no threat to me. A much greater threat was even farther in the distance, though I felt the grip of fear from a hundred miles away. I was surrounded by tall spruce trees on three sides, an uncrossable river to the right. The Trappe River , as it was known, was rushing with immense power I can't recall observing in the past. The waves were crashing against the shore, the splashes hitting the thin walls of my shack. I found this area while searching for a safe location to hide. It was solitary, secluded, and I hopped it to be very safe.Ignoring the fact I'm living in a shack in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by wild beasts, you might come to conclusion that I'm living in a normal world. You would be correct, had you failed to read the headlines of the local Trappe Gazette. The events that transpired during the last week had changed humanity forever. I have had much difficulty accepting that reality was no longer what I had thought it to be in the past. In one quick moment, I realized how weak and infantile our concept of reality was. I realize now that there is no limit to what is possible, and things our greatest scientists and spiritual teachers could not have imagined can become take over our lives overnight. I picked up the Trappe Gazette, it was no longer crisp and fresh, it's pages were worn. I had read the article, the last one ever printed by our local press after the incident, more than seventeen times now. I searched the pages repeatedly for a shred of logic, in hope that what I was reading was not as I thought, that I might be going insane, however the truth of the past seven days in the history of Man was obvious to only the chronically skeptical.I have been so overcome by this story, that I have more vivid memories of the past few days than I have of my childhood. It all started when.......

It all started in the morning 7 days ago. I had awoken to the harsh tone of my alarm clock jerking me out of my deep slumber. My fingers fumbling meekly over the face of my alarm clock searching to turn its wretched clamor off. Today is the day, I thought. I paused, my mind fixed on that thought. An ill feeling of excitement and dread began brewing inside me. We were scheduled to test Project D8-13 half a year ago, but were consequently delayed by some unanticipated problems with the device's Nano Architecture not operating 100 %. It wasnt shape shifting as expected, after a reworked design and construction of the nano bots organic power source, we had managed to get the Nano Architecture doing what it was intending to do. This will be the most important human endeavor ever undertaken since 2062, I thought. After today, mankind's critical understanding will surely be brought to its utmost level ever, as every possible puzzle piece comes together the ultimate truth of our existence will be revealed.With eager anticipation for the day I get out of bed....

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

with eager anticipation for the day i get out of bed, i realized it was only a dream. I woke up without the sound of the alarm clock. there was a strange whisper of silence surrounding me with a lonely ray of sunbeam sneaking in past my drawn down window shades, grazing over my left eye. not fully awake yet, i sit up in my half eaten bed from owning a dog who likes to play and chew on things(my only best friend). I rub my eyes a little, stand up to stumble across the room still half asleep to turn on the television. it has always been my favorite part of the day to watch the morning news...never knowing what the day will bring."that's odd", i think to myself. "why isn't this damn thing turning on!". then it occurred to me. the electricity is off! that's why i didn't hear my alarm clock. what's even more odd is that i don't even remember anything from the previous day. knowing i have to start my day and not even knowing what time it is, i scramble to the closet to try and find my battery powered, hand held radio. it was mixed in with a bunch of other junk i hardly ever use. i head to the kitchen with my dog following me, poor myself a large bowl of cereal, and some on my half rotten tile floor for my best friend "trigger". i grab the milk from the fridge knowing it's probably still good but not as cold as it should be or as i like it. i sit down to eat and fiddle for a radio news station thinking at this point, i just really want to know what time it is. "hmmmmm", i thought to myself. all the stations seem to be dead. i keep flipping the dial in hopes i'll get...."AHHHH!!!! here we go! i found one!". i take in a big spoonfull of cereal in my mouth. while wiping the dribbles of milk from my chin, i freeze in disbelief! i don't think i will ever forgot those words i just heard on the radio....