xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jaspooja

Violent Games Research on Violent games

HiI am doing a research on violent video games and so could you please help me in answer the following questions:1. Do businesses make money in selling violent games?2. Are the current censorhip rules and laws are tough enough?3. Effects of playing violent games? does it harm playing violent games.4. Are games different to films/TV and Music.Thank you in advance for taking time in filling in these questions.

1) Hell yes. There is no debate here, they do, and will continue to, make money from violent games.2) yes (in the UK)3) There is a huge debate on this that goes into a 3 way argument. Some claim simply that it is a game and cant influence behaviour, at least among the mentally stable. One group says they are a bad influence, causing violence. Because the gamers get used to using violence to get their own way (EG being rewarded through points for killing or hurting another character) they can take that experience into real life and think it is ok, or even be emotionless towards violence against others. The reward thing goes back to psychology where the gamer is conditioned that killing/violence is good.The other school of thought is that it STOPS violent behaviour. Imagine an angry kid who hates everyone, would you rather he spent his time stabbing people on the street or shooting fictional characters in a game? Without an outlet for rage and violence it can build up leading to an explosive outburst in real life, but by playing violent games one can release the frustration in a safe and fun way.4) Yes i think so. Films to me are more likely to affect behaviour as you arent involved, you see the lead character, often a role model, getting into situations, be they violent or not, and often succeeding and getting rewards for their actions. So you want to be like them, and you can do that by copying their actions. Music is very similar, rappers singing about shooting people while they wear gold chains and have girls and fast cars, hence you can see violence as a way to success. But in a game YOU are the lead character, so you get to act out the actions in a safe way. In a film if you want to copy their actions you have to do it in real life. But in a game you can see the rewards for blowing things up and you can act out those actions in the game itself.

1. Do businesses make money in selling violent games?

of course, though many people criticized, it will still continue

2. Are the current censorhip rules and laws are tough enough?

here? hell no

3. Effects of playing violent games? does it harm playing violent games.

it depends on "who play it". if you're already a good boy with smart brain, you'll know what you can do and what you can't do in the real world, no matter how much the violent in the games. anyway, games are just a way to entertain, people should not have to take all thing in it seriously :(

4. Are games different to films/TV and Music.

yes. in games, you are the character (and as far as i see, the MAIN character), you move where you want, buy things at you will, make choices in the way you like it. while in films/tv and music, you just "sit down and enjoy".
hope you satisfied with my answer :)

1. Yes, it's upto us to interpret what is violence. Simple FPS game that hunts duck is also violence.2. Yes, in asia you can't sell video games that have religious names/characters and sexual content. More over even in Europe/US there are some laws that stops people from making sexual content games and of content that is abusive. 3. Depends. Spending more than 4-5 hours everyday have an bad-effect on health and mind. In rany season can't help it. People stick to games as they've no options.4. Yes, earlier movies and tv series used to make people stick to sofa. But now people can differentiate between drama and reality. But now games world is new and it's hard for them to differentiate so after decade or so, some generations will get used to it as habit.

1) Hell yes. There is no debate here, they do, and will continue to, make money from violent games.
2) yes (in the UK)

3) There is a huge debate on this that goes into a 3 way argument. Some claim simply that it is a game and cant influence behaviour, at least among the mentally stable. One group says they are a bad influence, causing violence. Because the gamers get used to using violence to get their own way (EG being rewarded through points for killing or hurting another character) they can take that experience into real life and think it is ok, or even be emotionless towards violence against others. The reward thing goes back to psychology where the gamer is conditioned that killing/violence is good.

The other school of thought is that it STOPS violent behaviour. Imagine an angry kid who hates everyone, would you rather he spent his time stabbing people on the street or shooting fictional characters in a game? Without an outlet for rage and violence it can build up leading to an explosive outburst in real life, but by playing violent games one can release the frustration in a safe and fun way.

4) Yes i think so. Films to me are more likely to affect behaviour as you arent involved, you see the lead character, often a role model, getting into situations, be they violent or not, and often succeeding and getting rewards for their actions. So you want to be like them, and you can do that by copying their actions. Music is very similar, rappers singing about shooting people while they wear gold chains and have girls and fast cars, hence you can see violence as a way to success. But in a game YOU are the lead character, so you get to act out the actions in a safe way. In a film if you want to copy their actions you have to do it in real life. But in a game you can see the rewards for blowing things up and you can act out those actions in the game itself.

Can you please justify your answer on how businesses make money by selling violent games?

Thank you very much

of course, though many people criticized, it will still continue

here? hell no

it depends on "who play it". if you're already a good boy with smart brain, you'll know what you can do and what you can't do in the real world, no matter how much the violent in the games. anyway, games are just a way to entertain, people should not have to take all thing in it seriously :(

yes. in games, you are the character (and as far as i see, the MAIN character), you move where you want, buy things at you will, make choices in the way you like it. while in films/tv and music, you just "sit down and enjoy".

hope you satisfied with my answer :)

Can you please justify your answer on how businesses make money in selling violent video games?

Thank you Very much

Can you please justify your answer on how businesses make money in selling violent video games?

I dont understand, there is no justification that needs to be said. Violent video games sell. That's all there is to it! Modern Warfare 2 (first person, modern day war type shooter) was released today and is expected to sell 5 MILLION copies TODAY if they retail at, on average $50 each thats 250 MILLION dollars in ONE day!! That's insane!!! That's just one day!!!!!!!!

Need we say any more?! Violence sells!

Although i cant give you a direct answer on question 4. It reminds me of "Micheal Carneal", a teenager who followed out a scene in a movie called "The Basketbball Diaries". In the movie, a kid has dream of gunning down classmates in a school. This is one of the most extreme cases of entertainment media influencing young adults in a very bad way. Of course you would probably surmise that individuals such as Michael Carneal have strong dispositions towards homocidal tendancies before being exposed to movies/games. I'd be inclined to think that they are only "set off" by media influences, but the likelyhood of them of commiting murderous acts "without media influence" are quite probable. I can't really cite any specific examples of this occuring in computer games. But if you objectively analyse the "interactivity" aspect of computer games and compared these to cases of murderers watching a movie, you may come to some informed guesses.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

1. Well this is an obvious yes as you see games such as True Crimes, GTA Series and the rest. But really nearly every game has violence even cartoonie things like Tom and Jerry etc, so violence really can't be taken from a game because just beating up someone is considered violence. The only games I know off my head that have no violence within it is probably the pre-school games were you are learning to read.2. I think they are tough enough, ESRB is doing their jobs with it with the american games. Everything has its tag whether it be eC (Early Childhood), (E)veryone and (E)veryone 10+, (T)een, (M)ature(17+), (A)dut(18+). The problems is actually more on the foreign games because their ratings are different from the US rating games. You could actually see that in Japan games that condone rape can be seen publicly. 3. Depends on player, not everyone will go into a violent hiss and harm people just because they play violent games. Sometimes violence can be from other things such as family issues, personal issues being bullied or raped etc... there are so many reasons that can make a person be more violent. It doesn't necessarily has to be games. I for one when I have a bad day I like just going home and playing a beat up game. But it doesn't mean I will go within the real world and try do what I have done within these games.4. Games is a mix of Film and Music, as they try to capture you within the story. If a game has a story then it will incorporate all the things a film will have and music.