xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
norhagan

Windows Xp Administrator Password how to recover or change password in windows xp sp2

How to recover password in windows xp sp2? I already tried with reboot and click F8 to access at safe mode but still no admin window appeared, still the normal access window appear that only the limited user account can access.

You're going to have to explain it a little better.Does the window appear for you to choose your logon?Eg when you start the machine does a windows page appear with various names (like "Administrator" "Guest" "Someone" etc...) and you have to click one to login? Or does it go straight to your desktop?It is possible to recover the password with a few select tools...

If you need something free , try looking for Ophcrack

I once had this problem on a lab PC , some dumbass locked it up using his personal password.

It was an XP machine and the password was pretty simple. Took ophcrack like 2 min to crack the password.

I don't know if it works well with complex passwords

anyways, you can give it a try. Just download the system specific iso and burn it on a cd/dvd. put it in and reboot.

Its almost automated.

http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

i just had to recover a password after someone bought a laptop and the person they bought it from forgot what it was. it wasn't stolen, but i went to this website here... http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ then i downloaded the iso file http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

you will have to have a blank cd or dvd a burn the iso file to disk. you will need a program like "free easy burner" or some other program that is capable of burning iso files. don't just copy the file to cd. that will not work. you have to burn the image file.

once you do, leave the cd in your drive and shut down your computer. wait a couple seconds and restart and boot from your cd. to do this, you either need to hit f2 or f8 or f12 or esc button after you turn on your computer. the button is different for different systems. you are looking for your boot menu options. once you find it, boot from cd. let your cd run.

normally you can just hit enter until you get to the menu to unlock the account and clear the password. pay attention to the menu options. they can seem confusing at first, but this program works.

the system i had to recover a p/w from was a compaq with a vista o.s. and worked like a charm. just remember to save your changes. they don't save automatically.

If you want to keep your password unchanged , and you just wanted to know what it was , then you can use some windows passwords recovery.If i were you i would choose Ophcrack project from sourceforge , it's free and comes for XP and vista , and it will display all passwords for all the sessions on your computer.-- Don't use this program , or other programs to spy on your family or friends !