xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Want To Chat With A Stranger? Try Omegle.com

Sounds really great to me!I'm going to give it a good try. About kids using these kind of services: I think they shouldn't be encouraged.Just because there is the risk of them using it doesn't mean it has to be closed down though.....conditions to discourage them just have to be in place IMO.

Ah I finally found this thread - I knew I had seen it somewhere before so I decided to search before starting a new one. Anyway I just wanted to add an interesting point about this site - they have recently started video chat services. so any crazy fellow who wants to show his/her face to a complete stranger can now simply plug in their webcam and start video chatting on omegle without any sign up. The concept is still weird-chatting with a stranger whom you will never meet after getting disconnected-but this new feature may improve the experience, because you can at least see that the other person isn't lying about him/herself. But the funny thing is that the rate at which disconnections take place is really fast in here so you may not even get a chance to say 'hi'! :P so try out this new feature and see what you get - i had a lot of laughs of my own ;)

Now they added video support and boy there are sure some ugly people on there, sadly the male to girl ratio is low and even then the odds of you landing a video of someone whipping it out is pretty high. Best part the person who created this site for pervs is from my home town ;).

I'm certainly glad that you guys posted your conversations. Now the rest of us won't have to go threw such garbage and waste our time!!! LOL, gads, I can't imagine being bored enough to go there and talk to such completly weird people.

Omegle is a pretty good idea, but the Internet community that it attracts isn't something that you or I would want to hang out with. In response to Omegle, ChatRoulette introduced the concept of video chats with strangers and now Omegle has video chat too.Video chat takes away anonymity and although that does increase openness, most people don't have a webcam setup. The Omegle video chat doesn't work for everybody though ChatRoulette simply works. There's also too much mature content on Omegle and ChatRoulette and there just isn't anything that can be done about it without driving people away. But then again, in its current state, it is already driving people away, especially with all of the mature content on video chat. The report abuse feature can't really be used to do much because the users do not have to sign up for the service - the lack of signup is actually one of the more appealing things about the website because you can just get to the website and start chatting right away. Introducing single sign-on or a sign-in through a third party wouldn't really help either because a lot of people would not want to trust chat websites with their credentials on other websites.There are a lot of clones of Omegle and ChatRoulette that have been coming up in recent days. Many of them seem to be customized versions of commercially available scripts, and there are a lot of freelance projects on creating Omegle and ChatRoulette clones too.@The SimpletonThere are a whole lot of users on Omegle and ChatRoulette because I rarely manage to get the same user again. There has got to be a huge number of losers too though because I keep getting connected to folks who start off a conversation with an "asl?" and disconnect the very minute the answer to that question indicates a male.@Soviet RatheThere are some really amusing conversations that you can have on Omegle and ChatRoulette. Perhaps one of the cooler things that you can do is when you're really mad about your boss, you can tell people on Omegle or ChatRoulette because you don't really know any of those people. Of course, giving out personal information isn't something one ought to do, especially with how easy it is to find information over the Internet after you hand out a bit of information about yourself.@Ho-oh's RealmThat line really does work, although I've changed it to "my age is 0, my gender is undefined, and my location is undefined" in keeping with the stuff we see in dynamic programming languages :-PApparently, it seems to keep all of the people of distasteful interests away.@The Dark HackerFinding an interesting conversation on Omegle takes a couple of tries. A lot of people post their interesting conversations online to share with others and the sharing bit is a whole lot more fun. Although, after you have read some really ultra-cool conversations that other people have had on Omegle, you would be disappointed with the ones that you have subsequently.@Saint MichaelThe video chat on Omegle hardly gets me anything interesting... and there's a lot of graphic content out there that makes video chat on Omegle seriously NSFW, not that I spend all that much time in the office on Omegle or anything. Some people have put on costumes and found other computer game characters... either that or it's all photoshopped and is an attempt to get us all to look.

Is this a predecessor to chatroulette? By the looks of previous posts, I'm rather not too excited about having conversations with people so insecure that they can't make any real friends so they have to make fake random ones online.

Hi!@RigaudonYou are correct. Omegle is a predecessor of ChatRoulette. To build upon the success of Omegle, ChatRoulette added video and to keep up, Omegle had to introduce video too. However, Omegle's video chat doesn't seem to work as well as ChatRoulette's does. There are a couple of users who have posted about problems with Omegle's video chat while ChatRoulette's video chat works fine for them. I did get Omegle's video chat working once, but that was about it. Both video chat services have way too much mature content and unless they find some way to moderate chat, their services would simply go the way of the dinosaurs.