xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

Icann Approves Non-latin Domain Names! Domain names in your mother tongue

Soon you will be able to register domains written in your mother tongue - this is the latest approval by ICANN, which monitors the internet with a stern eye. Now people all over the world can do visit websites based on their native languages and there will be less of English everywhere :) I'm sure there will be a mad rush for the early names and people will try to sell the "premium" names in their mother-tongues at high prices! That's bound to happen and I hope to join the race myself :(So does any of you need such kind of domain names? Think about it - the average user still doesn't have the required input system to type in his/her own language. The number of people learning about this is increasing daily, but still the majority of the people type only in English. Then what would be the use of buying a domain whose name most people can't type!

when you say non latin, do you mean something like 本.com?that could hurt those who dont have that kind of input :)a high-priced domain which most people cant type...i dont have any idea about that plan

Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

when you say non latin, do you mean something like 本.com?

yes I do mean domains like that. Another example is ఉదాహరణ.com. Leave alone typing, I doubt if most people have support for viewing these characters! And yeah these will no doubt be very expensive in the beginning but gradually their prices are bound to come down. As for how popular these will be, that is something we'll have to wait and see. But there will surely be a lot of takers for them no matter what the price may be :)

Good to see that ICANN approves more regional domain. Now people can leave the greed of TLD domains and have some content on other sites which are regional. For domain sellers it is new opportunity of selling domains to new customers. Now comes the part of domain typing and browser analyzing those domains. I think there will be soon improvements in current domains. Soon we'll able to type it in our own language and browser will able to respond to those queries. It's just that is too much of work on translation and request/response queries. Because of this many people still don't prefer sites with non-english content.