xisto Community
Nameless_

Google Apps Custom Email Domain Problem on verification (sorry about the two help threads at once)

Hi people, I'll try and keep this short...

Basically, after receiving some suggestions, I decided to try out Google Apps Services for my custom email address... after following some steps, this is a step that I have recieved:

Upload an HTML file to verify that you own *mydomain.com*
Note: I have changed my read domain to "mydomain.com" and the crytic code thing that I am meant to upload as *******somethingsomething.

I don't understand this step... but I believe that the "google********somethingsomething" is the key to this and I am meant to not show this to anyone... but my question is this: how do I create a "verification file"? And upload it on to my cPanel? Which file and Which folder (public?)?

Of course, that is after I work out how to use FileZilla in the first place... but anyway. :) Help please!!! :D Oh yeah, and thanks for your patience... I'm sorry I had to do two threads at the same time... :(

Simple way to create your verification file
- right click in your desktop
- create new text document, change it to html with the name google gave you
- copy the code given by google
- paste them in your html, save
- open filezilla, enter your hosting account
- open folder public_html (or whatever it is)
- upload your html there
- now try to open your html file by typing http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
- let google verify it
- done (?) :)

Simple way to create your verification file- right click in your desktop
- create new text document, change it to html with the name google gave you
- copy the code given by google
- paste them in your html, save
- open filezilla, enter your hosting account
- open folder public_html (or whatever it is)
- upload your html there
- now try to open your html file by typing http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
- let google verify it
- done (?) :)

Are you sure that it is meant to be uploaded in the folder: public_html? Wouldn't that just go onto the website and my website will be blank apart from the code? I thought that only public files and folders like Drupal, Joomla, templates and all that we meant to go on!!! Huh???

If that is the case, that is, if everything is meant to be uploaded onto the public_html file, then what does the public_ftp file meant to do??? Isn't there a private folder where I can put things like that? Huh??? I am getting confused now. I thought that everything you put in the public_something folders all go visible online...

??? Hmm... :(

Yeah, all the files uploaded to public_html folder can be seen by everyone via whatever browser they use But, that can only happened when they know the url to the file :) And for this verification step, we need the file to be OPEN-ed by google engine, arent we? =p I think Public_html folder means https://www.salesforce.com/products/platform/overview/ while public_ftp means  site.com which can be opened by everyone and anonymous If you want to create some private folder, you can use the .htaccess or just put the password via cpanel

Are you sure that it is meant to be uploaded in the folder: public_html? Wouldn't that just go onto the website and my website will be blank apart from the code? I thought that only public files and folders like Drupal, Joomla, templates and all that we meant to go on!!! Huh???
If that is the case, that is, if everything is meant to be uploaded onto the public_html file, then what does the public_ftp file meant to do??? Isn't there a private folder where I can put things like that? Huh??? I am getting confused now. I thought that everything you put in the public_something folders all go visible online...

??? Hmm... :)

Your homepage of the site will not be blank when you upload that file. Once verified, delete the file, thats it.
Edited by BCD (see edit history)

I don't know what happened... but I made a thread on this and it seems to have been "moved or deleted". Anyway, it isn't accessible now, so no one can read it. I have a quick question to ask:

Quick Question:

What will happen to my email that is hosted on Google Apps if I changed hosting accounts with the same host? Do I have to configure everything again or can I just change it?

Thanks for your advice... I hope someone reads that and replies to my thread. I kept it nice and simple for understanding... :)

What will happen to my email that is hosted on Google Apps if I changed hosting accounts with the same host? Do I have to configure everything again or can I just change it?

You will need to add the domain to your new hosting's cPanel again, then configure its MX records to point to Google's servers again. It is also worth uploading the authentication/verification file Google gives you (I believe you can download it at any time) to your new hosting so that Google can find it if it decides to check after the downtime.

i've had to create a couple verification files in the past. it's an easy way for google to verify you have proper authority to use certain services.just create the file, input the text, save it and upload it per the SIMPLE SIMPLE instructions. if you don't want the file there after google verifies and creates your domain email account, then just delete it. no big deal.