xisto Community
Nameless_

My Problem About Filezilla And My Cpanel And how I fixed it but came out with another...

I can't seem to find the public_ftp folder now!!! I can't find it at all!!!

Different hosting companies have different folders. If you are not hosted by Xisto then there is no reason to expect the same folders that Xisto uses. Your host might not allow anonymous FTP, so there would be no reason for a public_ftp folder.

Is it possible to "reset" cPanel so that it looks like I haven't touched anything before? I only created two mail accounts and deleted that folder...

Not via cPanel. You'd need to send a ticket to your hosting company to ask them whether that is possible, and whether they would be willing to do it.

I don't know if that works... wait... isn't there a button to make things default? Can you check your own FileZilla folders and tell me what I am missing? Also, what do the extra files at the end of the folder list after www is for and what do they mean? I am pretty sure that they weren't there before... do you think that I can delete them?

Checking your folders against someone else's is pointless if you are using different hosting companies. They will likely use different setups, and therefore have slightly different files and folders by default. Can you delete them? No! They're all settings and configuration files. Deleting them is not a good idea - it is possible to pretty much ruin your hosting settings by doing so. As a safe rule, only touch things inside the public_html folder.

.bash_logout

.bash_profile

.bashrc

.contactemail

.lang

.lastlogin

.zshrc

cpbackup-exclude.conf

.bash_logout records your logouts from the shell.

.bash_profile contains shell setting such as path variables.

.bashrc same sort of thing, includes aliases and definitions.

.contactemail is very important - it contains the contact email address if anything goes wrong with your hosting.

.lang holds your language preference for cPanel.

.lastlogin contains the IP address of the last computer to log in to your cPanel.

.zshrc I have never seen - no idea :)

cpbackup-exclude.conf likely contains files and folders to be excluded when you use cPanel to take a backup of your hosting.

The weird thing is though, guess what I found in the public_html/ folder? A whole collection of MSN smileys that people use!!! I don't even know whether I should delete them or let them be and whether they are crucial to my website or not... I wonder how that got there though... I personally don't use MSN myself, and so obviously I won't be anywhere near uploading them up onto FileZilla... any advice, people?

There also appears to be a default index file there. Does that use the smileys by and chance? :( It looks like your host uploaded them by default as a placeholder until you upload anything to your hosting.

There also appears to be a default index file there. Does that use the smileys by and chance? :) It looks like your host uploaded them by default as a placeholder until you upload anything to your hosting.

Haha, no worries, I figured it out... I am absolutely sure I had a public_ftp folder before I touch anything in Filezilla, and so I just went to my cPanel and added a "public_ftp" folder in it with an "incoming" folder within that, because I read somewhere that that is also needed, and it just automatically had the "FTP" icon image thing next to it, so I assume that everything should be working correctly.

As for if I accidentally deleted any other files or folders, I can't say, so I can't and I won't be able to do anything about that at all... but I don't think it matters, I hope... and OK, thanks for the information. From now on I will only touch the public_html folder...

And no... the default index.html page doesn't have anything to do with smileys... does that mean I can just delete the file? OK then... for the first time ever I will put a link to my website here with my top level domain name that I have bought from Xisto here (which will now deem me no longer nameless, just for the purpose of this thread and post: Here

Of course, that doesn't mean that I won't be giving out a grand opening to my site anyway... :( But here you go... there aren't any smileys, see? I will be changing that soon though. So, can I delete the smileys folder?

(Also, a quick question that isn't related to any of this: You can see that my hosting company put google ads on the page, right? And yet I can't see anything related to Google ads in the source code html, and when I downloaded the index file there isn't even a source code html at all... how does that work out?)

well just try to delete that folder and see what happened
as long as it's free you can just delete it if something happened :)

You can see that my hosting company put google ads on the page, right? And yet I can't see anything related to Google ads in the source code html, and when I downloaded the index file there isn't even a source code html at all... how does that work out?

it's a frame, maybe the source code you looking at was the frame code oneyour real default index.html was here http://www.hosthelpers.com/default/index.htm , it has every code waiting to be looked at, see? :(
Edited by FouGilang (see edit history)

And no... the default index.html page doesn't have anything to do with smileys... does that mean I can just delete the file? OK then... for the first time ever I will put a link to my website here with my top level domain name that I have bought from Xisto here (which will now deem me no longer nameless, just for the purpose of this thread and post: Here

If you're not using the smileys then it looks like it's OK to delete them.

(Also, a quick question that isn't related to any of this: You can see that my hosting company put google ads on the page, right? And yet I can't see anything related to Google ads in the source code html, and when I downloaded the index file there isn't even a source code html at all... how does that work out?)

If you look at the source of that page, you'll find the following:

<td valign="top" width="285" height="384">			 <script type="text/javascript"><!--			  google_ad_client = "pub-****************";			  /* 300x250, created 9/4/09 */			  google_ad_slot = "**********";			  google_ad_width = 300;			  google_ad_height = 250;			  //-->			 </script>			 <script type="text/javascript"			  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">			 </script>			 <script type="text/javascript"><!--			  google_ad_client = "pub-****************";			  /* 300x250, created 9/4/09 */			  google_ad_slot = "**********";			  google_ad_width = 300;			  google_ad_height = 250;			  //-->			 </script>			 <script type="text/javascript"			  src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js">			 </script>			</td>

That looks like Google Ads code to me :)

well just try to delete that folder and see what happenedas long as it's free you can just delete it if something happened :D

it's a frame, maybe the source code you looking at was the frame code one
your real default index.html was here http://www.hosthelpers.com/default/index.htm , it has every code waiting to be looked at, see? :(

Wow!!! That is just soo incredibly cool!!! How in the world did you find that??? Incredible!!! Hmm... I think that I will be changing that very soon though.... I don't want anyone actually going back to my host and looking through my information, if that is possible... but anyway, what am I doing here right now? I should be fast asleep getting energy for my yearly examination tomorrow morning and for the whole week and a half that is coming and I am still posting on Xisto late at night... :D

Hmm... oh well, I don't think I can help it if Xisto is just so addictive anyway... :) It improves my typing skills...

If you're not using the smileys then it looks like it's OK to delete them.
If you look at the source of that page, you'll find the following:

That looks like Google Ads code to me :D

Yes... that does... now I know how they do it... pretty smart, isn't it? Hmm... yeah well, I'll delete the smileys then. No point taking up diskspace is there? Even if it doesn't take up bandwidth if you can't see anything from the browser... but seriously, what are they doing there!? It freaks me out, having random phantom smileys folders you know, in the public_html folder... strange and wierd....

Ooooh...
I'll get rid of them... you'll see... because it's Halloween!!! Haha. Just joking.