xisto Community
Nameless_

Nameless Newbie Domain Question (sorry!) That can be related to Trap17s cPanel... though it is not.

Hi people... well, just as there is this crisis on Xisto and Xisto's myCENTS problem, I had a domain problem of my own to fix, about the IP problems in buying a domain and so on.

But it's fixed now, thanks to the great support from the replies of my Support ticket, but I still have question(s), and the questions that I want to ask is this:

Question #1: Let's say that I bought a hosting package from Xisto with a Xisto domain. And then I bought my actual top-level .com domain afterwards. Of course, in my cPanel, the main domain will be a .trap17.com one. (Or any other sub domains that Xisto provides...) Now, if I want to change my main domain (which is the .trap17.com sub domain one) to my actual top-level .com domain, how would I go about this?

(Note: well, I don't exactly have a hosting package here on Xisto, but I have one in another hosting free company and I don't know how to do that. Do I just add a domain name and then change it?)

Question #2: Let's say that I now want to get rid of my sub free domain (.trap17.com), how will I go about it? Can I just delete it from cPanel? Will I have to change the main domain to my top-level .com domain first?

Question #3: What if something happens to my .com domain that is registered at Xisto? I won't have anything to fall back on. So should I get a free co.cc domain or something like that so that I have a back up? But I want to get rid of the free domain (.trap17.com) provided... So, am I meant to get a free co.cc domain, put the co.cc domain as the main domain and the .com domain as an add on? So if something happens to the .com domain, I will have the co.cc domain as a back up to access my site and fix the problem.

(I have shortened my extremely long post to this. I hope that you will reply to it... :P For for more confirmation, I do not have a Xisto hosting account, but it works the same on the other company... I think. :P)

Question #1: Let's say that I bought a hosting package from Xisto with a Xisto domain. And then I bought my actual top-level .com domain afterwards. Of course, in my cPanel, the main domain will be a .trap17.com one. (Or any other sub domains that Xisto provides...) Now, if I want to change my main domain (which is the .trap17.com sub domain one) to my actual top-level .com domain, how would I go about this?

(Note: well, I don't exactly have a hosting package here on Xisto, but I have one in another hosting free company and I don't know how to do that. Do I just add a domain name and then change it?)

The "main" domain doesn't really have much of an effect on anything, so doesn't really need changing (unless it was a TLD and you let it expire). You can just park your new domain on your account and it will work (use the "Parked Domains" icon in cPanel). If you would still like to get rid of the subdomain and have it replaced with your new domain then it might be possible with a support ticket. However, if it's not possible to get it changed it's really nothing to worry about - you gain nothing by having it changed :P

Question #2: Let's say that I now want to get rid of my sub free domain (.trap17.com), how will I go about it? Can I just delete it from cPanel? Will I have to change the main domain to my top-level .com domain first?

Having the "main" domain changed would get rid of your subdomain automatically (as far as I know), because they can't be added or parked on an account. A support ticket would let you know. Again, getting rid of the subdomain would give you no real benefits.

Question #3: What if something happens to my .com domain that is registered at Xisto? I won't have anything to fall back on. So should I get a free co.cc domain or something like that so that I have a back up? But I want to get rid of the free domain (.trap17.com) provided... So, am I meant to get a free co.cc domain, put the co.cc domain as the main domain and the .com domain as an add on? So if something happens to the .com domain, I will have the co.cc domain as a back up to access my site and fix the problem.

What are you expecting to happen to your domain? Problems are generally more likely to occur with the hosting rather than with domains. In that instance no matter how many domains you've got, your hosting would still be inaccessible for a short time while the problem gets fixed.

Ah... OK, thanks for all the help guys... :PI appreciate everything. I guess I'll just have to go through support to get everything changed... :P And so, I suppose that I just have to have an add on top-level domain name then... :P I don't know, I thought that a co.cc domain actually sounds better than a Xisto.com domain or other free subdomains, and I won' t be worried about getting it expired because it is free as well... :)But anyway, I guess I'll have to live with it.Also, another reason why I said that I wanted to get rid of the subdomain is because of some of the previous domain question threads that I have said. mahes2k told me that search engines will lower my ranking if I have lots of add on domain names, and that the search engines will also log them and save them into their database differently according to the different domain names, and I don't exactly want that to happen, and that is why I am planning to have as little amount of domain names as possible, with the .com top-level domain name as the main one so that the search engines will log and save that one domain instead of the other ones, but I suppose that doesn't really matter now...And well, if you think of it the positive way, .com domains always come first than other free domains given, so I should have nothing to worry about...I think... :P:) :) :)

Dear friend better than going for a .co.cc domain name go for your own .com TLD and you can easily buy one with your mycents. Then if you are hosting your files with the same server then it will set the DNS name automatically, other wise if you are hosting the files on other server then you have to set your DNS and your TLD will be linked with your hosting server.