xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

Nasa To Hit The Moon With Two Large Rockets At 6:30 Am Ct

NASA is planning to ram our Moon with two large rockets to analyze the debris caused by the explosion tomorrow morning. It's in hopes to determine whether or not there was water on the moon and also to study more into how well humans could survive there for longer periods of time. They plan to return to the moon in 2020 with the eventual goal of a manned mission to Mars and this "Destruction Derby" is part of that plan. This is a big event for people interested in space, and NASA is definitely excited about it. You'll most likely be able to view these groundbreaking (no pun intended :P) events on the internet or NASA TV which is free for people who have a satellite and a FTA receiver. Tune in to either EchoStar 10/11 at 110 or Echostar 7 at 119 to watch the action live or just record it like I plan to. As for international viewers , I assume it will be broadcast live on NASA.gov and most likely will be available at any time in the future.Enjoy the show guys, and cross your fingers NASA doesn't blow the moon out of the sky. That would certainly ruin their day, wouldn't it?By the way, more information is available on many blogs and news sites, but I don't want to quote anyone's well written blog so check it out yourself on google.

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

Never heard of this. Wonder what happens if the rockets end up shattering through the moon instead of just colliding with it, o.O. We could have another one of the "oh, we didn't know it was that powerful!" moments.

The people at NASA are pretty smart and careful, but they do and have made mistakes on more than one occasion. I imagine it's not too easy to do all of this space stuff and calculate every possible variable. It's incredible how they manage to do the stuff they do at all in my opinion. Chances of it blowing apart the moon are slim, take a look at pictures of the moon and look at all of the craters. That moon's one tough rock. I think this experiment is very important because they plan to find out once and for all if water was ever on the moon. A lot of people will be disappointed if there wasn't! It seems like space is a lot more boring than people dreamed, first nothing happened when they broke into space (no heaven, no weird stuff), all searches for intelligent E.T. life have proven fruitless, even simple life hasn't been found yet. Now they're having a hard time just finding proof that life COULD have existed. And there we were, thinking that the great unknown was full of intergalactic warfare, super intelligent beings.. It's kind of disappointing, really :P It's strange how there is so much life on earth, yet we have found none so far outside our planet.. you think even at the least some animal that started on earth, might have evolved to fly out into space.. lol. It sounds weird, but lots of terrestrial species have evolved in weird habitats. Maybe some group of space-dinosaurs flew out into space and migrated to another planet more comfortable for them.. or maybe I'll keep dreaming.

If this is true, then I will say, what the heck is the people in NASA doing, launching missiles onto Moon. That will put them in the league of the evil-axis, as mentioned by US. There are better ways to carry out investigation than this. I will like to see the debris coming back and strike Earth, best if it hit on the launching pad of those missiles. Slap them back on their selfish faces.

If this is true, then I will say, what the heck is the people in NASA doing, launching missiles onto Moon. That will put them in the league of the evil-axis, as mentioned by US. There are better ways to carry out investigation than this. I will like to see the debris coming back and strike Earth, best if it hit on the launching pad of those missiles. Slap them back on their selfish faces.

Hah, I wouldn't quite go that far but I do think being destructive is the wrong way to "learn." Especially considering with man-made things (cars, buildings, what have you) things can be replaced, but with the moon the damage that's done is done.

I was wondering where NASA got the permission/right to do whatever it wants, but I don't have a problem with what they are doing, it's interesting and they're better at doing what they do than I am, for sure! Calling it a missile is kind of an blowing it out of proportion, it's supposed to be more minor than the large meteorites that hit on a weekly basis only they can send a satellite in right behind the first "rocket" when it's controlled. If there are better ways to study it as you say, I think they'd love to hear your ideas.

The fact is no matter what reasons you have for not liking the idea of ramming a space ship onto the surface of the moon, whether it's the possibility crushing a city of tiny intelligent creatures (a la Twilight Zone) or just plain rude, collisions with the moon are hardly a rare occurence. Look at it!

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Do you really think it will mind having something new crash into it for a change? :P

Edited by rob86 (see edit history)

NASA is like the IRS and other places (like the USPS). They aren't government agencies but they are treated as such. All three of those places have immense power in terms of both civil and government areas yet they are all separated from the government. It really doesn't make sense to me but that's how it is.For the record, the FBI also used to have very little power. Something happened to make them one of the top anti-terrorism and whatnot in the US and gave them the ability to enforce laws in other countries.

I watched this on NASA TV and it turned out to be quite boring and disappointing to watch. As you'd know if you read, there were two "spaceships" (that's what they called them) that collided with the moon. The first one was supposed to create some kind of an dirt plume large enough to be visible on earth with a telescope and this was filmed live with the second one. It turned out, that the collision was not even visible to my eye on the live video feed, and after reading opinions on the news websites, many observers who stayed up until early morning camped out in a field with telescopes were also disappointed by the lack of a "10km plume" which NASA had previously predicted. I can't say I would recommend watching the video unless you're very curious, it's not overly impressive unless you want to see a close up of the moons craters.It certainly wouldn't have damaged the moon at all, and was a much more minor thing that I had expected. They said it was the equivalent of a SUV crashing into the moon -- so it wasn't a nuclear warhead or anything.NASA however was quite pleased with the mission and their scientists have lots of information to work with. The mission wasn't just about watching a cool lunar explosion, after all. I haven't read whether they found water or not which was the main objective. Stay tuned for more information!

I watched this on NASA TV and it turned out to be quite boring and disappointing to watch. As you'd know if you read, there were two "spaceships" (that's what they called them) that collided with the moon. The first one was supposed to create some kind of an dirt plume large enough to be visible on earth with a telescope and this was filmed live with the second one. It turned out, that the collision was not even visible to my eye on the live video feed, and after reading opinions on the news websites, many observers who stayed up until early morning camped out in a field with telescopes were also disappointed by the lack of a "10km plume" which NASA had previously predicted. I can't say I would recommend watching the video unless you're very curious, it's not overly impressive unless you want to see a close up of the moons craters.
It certainly wouldn't have damaged the moon at all, and was a much more minor thing that I had expected. They said it was the equivalent of a SUV crashing into the moon -- so it wasn't a nuclear warhead or anything.

NASA however was quite pleased with the mission and their scientists have lots of information to work with. The mission wasn't just about watching a cool lunar explosion, after all.

I haven't read whether they found water or not which was the main objective.

Stay tuned for more information!

Please do update us. I'm a little too lazy to go read through feeds just to try and decipher the information I need from them. Honestly I don't think there is anything important we need on the moon (aside from the lunar gravitational force or whatever)...

Oh, have they spotted the man in the moon yet? XD