xisto Community
Baniboy

Template Under Construction under construction

Ah looks perfect template to me. Are you planning for wordpress theme for it ? Few more changes and this template is ready for wordpress template. Nice work baniboy.

*Jumps of joy* :) Thanks for replying!!! I might do a wordpress template, but wordpress is changing all the time and I would have to keep up with the changes, I would also have to make a few dozen php files(as wordpress has different files for archives, pages and stuff like that. That is why I'm considering sNews, I would have only one file to make and the system will be small and packed in one single php file plus the php file presenting the template. I would therefore have more time to produce content. sNews is so great, I'll have to only add a php include function, and some functions getting content from the database(which is only 4 x 1 line of php code for the whole template).

@ Jim: I just noticed you also posted!
Anyway, I have already made one so I know how to, thanks for offering help(or did you..?) anyway! And thanks for calling it nice!
Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

Like you even need my reply to your thread, Baniboy... :) Looks really good now, as the pros have just said... :o Liked it a lot. It's way better than the one that you did previously before... now THAT looked amatuerish, with way too much blue and bad use of gradient... :D But of course, I really can't say that because it's not like I can do something like that anyway... :DBut anyway. B)Like this one. I am a minimalist, so I like things to be simple, functional, and looks good, and you template is all of these. Simple and nice, and while the main colour is still blue, you have balanced it well with white and a light beige like colour... good work!!! I'd say more but I've got to go to school now. :( I like the way you are consistent with the rounded corners of your blog, with is obviously a thing that makes your blog more unique than others... :( consistency is a good thing... :(Have you coded the bottom too? I really can't give you all the feed back that I can unless I see the bottom too. :( What my main concern is the the columns might be a bit too narrow and if you have a lot of text, it will not be good looking... :DBut overall, very good!!! I like the fact that you took the risk to change your template for the better. Changing is a very hard thing to do... :( and I always have problems with that. Anyway, my fingers are now on fire and I'm pretty late. Might come back later to give you some more feed back!!!(Hopefully negative ones, because I don't like giving only positive comments... people don't improve this way, and I see a budding potential in you, Baniboy. Good work!!! :(

Yeah M8 i can see a good improvement with the gradient on my monitors you should stick with it. It's not meant to be particularly noticeable to people, trust me if you make a site with very subdued tricks like that people "wonder" why it is very good. I like the shift of your nav bar towards the left. It makes the top portion asymmetrical rather then symmetrical and therefore adding interest to the design tastefully.

Regarding the text in the middle, you could still keep things liquid and make sure that when the browser is set to medium sized text it displays around 8 words per a line at a resolution of 1024 x 768 and whatever that results in higher resolutions so be it. I guess there is always a trade off to be had, personally for my site in its existing state i choose to make everything absolute, for the trade off that i know that the text is a little too large for the design and the design will look small on a 1600x1200 monitor.

Although for my site i'm considering the advantages of having it liquid so... its kind of half and half. Really you kind of got to give people what they want so liquid will be the way to go perhaps. Regarding your side bars i agree with nameless, maybe they could be enlarged by 10 -15 pixels to accommodate an extra small word in them. Either that or reduce the text in the boxes to 80 %, it depends what content you plan to put in them if this is a valid choice or not.

See your the 3-4 pixel lines on your vertical borders? they are an interesting element in your design. Id suggest playing around with them a little, you could consider resizing them an additional 100 % for stronger effect. Or resizing them an additional 200 % and making the color lighter. It depends on what you want to achieve I dont know if you have noticed it but the height and width of your top banner space in conjunction with the blue tabs on your side bars, make elements in the design look horizontally prominent.

That is perfectly fine but you could balance it out with thicker vertical bars (your choice). A vertically prominent design psychologically suggests authority and power whilst horizontally prominent designs indicates stability. By changing the width of those vertical bars, you will shift the balance between the two seeking the "right" spot where you want it.

A good example illustrating this is in the typical law establishment imagery where you see it has strong vertical "and" horizontal lines arranged and grouped in a certain way -

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

thanks for your reply and sorry for my late reply.
I changed things to liquid and it's now 80% of the page, but then it seems a bit crunched so I changed it to be 960px wide. Displays around 15 words when in 1024 px width screens.
The website itself is somewhat ready(maybe). I made a topic for it here. We can continue talking about the design if you still want to, here or there. Anyway, I didn't have time to do the thing with the blue borders or enlarge the side columns' width tho. I also changed the font size to 13 px. Wonder if that's good or not. Anyway, I've seen many tutorial sites use wide space for text, so I thought of using too. I'm not sure if it works on my site tho, need more opinions.

As for the logo, it's going to be changed.