xisto Community
phpphp

The Most Dangerous Virus Of The Year 2009

Lol that virus

All the kids in my school freaked out about it, and refused to turn on their laptops all day. After that, it turned out that it was a somewhat "fake" virus, but then it seemed like some people had actually gotten it, amazingly. Of course, I kept my computer on the whole day, but didn't get it at all!

Eh, it was a pretty neat 'trick', fooling everyone on April Fools Day...

...And then having it revealed that the virus was real xD

Really, viruses can be so over rated, but sometimes they really can be dangerous.

just download the new version of avast and update the system logs! everytime you download something be sure to check to use if it is secure with avast before you open it ! you dont even have to edit it... :P

The latest and most dangerous viruses are the "[DownAdUp]" worm, also called "[Conficker]." Computer security firm F-Secure said that the computer virus has infected 3.5 million computers around the world. This program can be harmful for the distribution of errors corrected using Windows. [DownAdUp] succeeded in spreading across the network, because the flaw that Microsoft patched in October to computers unpatched versions of the breach of Microsoft's operating system. But the biggest force in the worm is believed that the ability of computers infected with the worm to download the code from the point of destructive free fall. F-Secure reported that three of the most affected countries were China, Brazil and Russia.

Eek... doesn't sound very good at all. Come to think of it, all viruses don't sound very good at all. I heard about Conficker a long time ago, but since then there really hasn't been that much said about it online and whatnot. For my virus system, I use Norton, which I would hope would be able to pick up a virus with the magnitude of Conficker, ect but who knows. I used to also have PC doctor spyware doctor, but I really didnt like that very much.

Confiker infecting my USB, I've basically scrubbed it down with every reputable antivirus company that i know if in live cd mode, but it wouldn't delete since I got it from school, i basically took a hammer and broke it down since I didn't trust it no longer. Didnt want to stick it in by mistake in the future and reintroduce the confiker worm after it completely disappeared. No way in hell would I want to do that. I still keep the remains as a tribute to all the fallen USB drives in the horrible, horrible, horrible attack of Confiker on our prestigious internet. Anyone else ever get infected? Its pretty bad when that happens, cause every antivirus picks it up but none of can confine or delete it when it first came out and in the school's intranet it spread all over and infected all the machines, they even replaced them this year because of residue from the cleanup.

That was horrible. Everyone was freaking out. People were afraid to get on their computers. I checked my facebook and there was no one on the entire day. Someone brought in a USB drive and used it on one of the school computers a few days after and the entire network was infected. Some grades on Grade Book Pro were deleted. Most students were like... YES! Teachers just got pissed. It was pretty funny though. I never actually had the virus on my computer though.

I'm not looking forward to 2010 viruses..
Especially since I just feel unstable with all these anti-viruses and they aren't entirely good..
and this is the article of 6.5 million computers being infected.

Worst virus in years infects 6.5 million computers

Jan 16, 2009, 21:20 GMT
Los Angeles - A computer virus attack that has infected more than 6.5 million Windows PCs this week is one of the worst in years, internet security firm F-Secure said Friday.

In total the worm, which is known as Downadup or Conficker, has infected nearly 9 million PCs since its first version was unleashed two years ago.

'The number of Downadup infections (is) skyrocketing,' Toni Koivunen, an F-Secure researcher, said in an entry to the company's security lab blog. 'From an estimated 2.4 million infected machines to over 8.9 million during the last four days. That's just amazing.'

Computer users have little to fear if they keep their computers patched with the latest Microsoft security fixes
, but Microsoft says that at least one third of PCs have not yet been updated.

'We haven't seen outbreaks of this scale in many years,' the company's lead researcher Mikko Hypponen told ComputerWorld.com.

Microsoft says the worm exploits a bug in the Windows Server service used by Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008.

The worm works by searching for a Windows executable file called 'services.exe' and then becomes part of that code. Once it's embedded in a PC, Downadup generates a list of possible domains, selects one, then uses that domain to reach a malicious server from which it downloads additional malware to install on the hijacked computer.

The latest version of the virus is particularly nasty since it uses a complicated algorithm to create hundreds of new domains, making it much harder for security experts to shut it down.

Read more: http://www.monstersandcritics.com/smallscreen/newsroom-will-fade-black-third-season/

I don't know how old the System Security Virus is, but that's the one that sticks out in my mind because simply it was the hardest thing I have ever tried to get rid of off my computer. I mean, this thing would not go away. I had to configure my computer to start up in safe mode, download avira off another computer and load it onto mine, run everything, delete the virus, then start back up in normal mode, this after spending several frustrating hours finding this potential solution. Everything seemed to work fine until 3 days later it was back. I guess avira hadn't done the full job! So then I had to download a program that I don't remember anymore, but it warned me several times the dangers of not running the prgram correctly, saying it was an industrial program or something. Anyway that program ended up getting rid of System Security Virus once and for all, and after a week I deleted the program used to get rid of the virus. I still use avira and believe it is one of the best virus protection programs available for free. With all of my ranting, I still have one question. How old is the System Security Virus? It struck me in 2009, and I hope its the last year I see it.

You know, back in 2008, this thing was supposed to wreck havoc upon all computers that were infected with the Conficker worm. And what happened? A whole lotta nothing. You know, I'm not really looking forward to the security in 2010. Hackers are probably thinking, "We haven't made a decent virus for a while. How about a New Year's resolution to crack 5,000,000 bank accounts?". Well, maybe not that nuts. I hope.Anyhow, I keep hearing about how all these free security systems like "Avast" and "AVG" security are better than paid products like Norton and whatnot. Why would something free be better? Who says they're not going to poison their own software, or let a virus "slip through the cracks". Only unless you're 10, you should be able to head to your nearest Best Buy and get yourself a decent security system. Probably the majority of people who get their computers hacked and have a parade of GeekSqad guys march through their house are those who rely on freebies.