xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

How Do You Change Hosts? Ive heard that its difficult, so I thought I might ask you g

Ah... OK then. Yeah, it's actually listed as one of the best free host sites ever, so I think that it's pretty good... and people are really active on the forums... like, I post and a few minutes later someone will answer your questions... :lol:

I would like to check out which host you' re talking about. What is the name of host ?. I mean you can write name instead of posting URL. so that there will be no objection on this forum by admin/mods. or if you're unsure you can PM me. Also you checked their members website and downtime ?

I would like to check out which host you' re talking about. What is the name of host ?. I mean you can write name instead of posting URL. so that there will be no objection on this forum by admin/mods. or if you're unsure you can PM me. Also you checked their members website and downtime ?

Well, I think there are a lot of downtimes though... I mean, the site's not down or anything, you just can't order the package... but it's pretty good... and nah... I think I'll go on the safe side and PM you... I've actually seen the name being taken down before in one of the web hosting reviews, and I think that it's pretty stupid considering you are writing a review on a site that's name cannot be shown on the public forums....

Both the name AND the URL. I think that Xisto just don't want any competitors... but anyway. I'll PM it to you and I'll see what you think. :lol: The members websites are like. PRO... and there's way more and lots and lots of members than ours.... Forums incredibly active, and the websites are just so much cooler than the ones that we have on our site...

I haven't seen -Sky-'s gaming website though, but they're sites are really really good... well, better than our ones. (I'll PM you).

Some of the thing i've noticed with them are their forum is slow (in terms of accessing it). But much more visible for navigation cause they're using Vbulletin. Basic free plan is no brainer. Anyone can start with it. But comes without any domain, you're on your own. Also their second plan which requires 50 posts is not clear to me. I mean you need one time 50 posts ? or any other criteria is there? like credits/mycents type ?Also unlimited plan is indeed overselling like other hosts. There is no such thing as unlimited. Every professional hosting company agrees with this. Hosting company like Dreamhost explains it in better way, when you reach a limit initially they increase your bandwidth and hard disk. I've seen sites of some members but found most of them upgraded to unlimited plan. Sites are cool but didn't find anything pro among them. I also noticed they redirect for .co.cc domain registration. and tell you what co.cc is not at all worth it in terms of SEO. Top level domain on the other hand is much better option to invest it. I'm skeptical about their service as they don't offer domain name registration service on their own. So i'm not sure how long they'll stay in the business. I just have to check if there are commercial sites hosting with them on their paid package. That will clear lot of things.

I would definitely read a lot of reviews of the host before going with them. There have been hosts I was with for 5+ months where everything went great for me and then I started having the same issues others had already written about prior.One thing I can tell you for sure is most free sites are more than good enough for flat-file site hosting. The issues almost always come in when you are doing heavy PHP/SQL on your site (for example, forums or CMS's).Both of those also have flat-file versions, so that's really not an issue.So really it all boils down to what you want to use the host for:1) Are you looking for something reliable? If so, don't use them.2) Are you going to use a lot of PHP/SQL? If so, and the site is going to be *live*, it is not suggested to use them.3) The domain/subdomain thing is not an issue at all. You can use CPanel to link up a domain you purchased elsewhere.4) If you are just testing various things or are starting out fresh, I would suggest to use them for that purpose. Even with PHP/SQL, there aren't a lot of issues as long as there aren't many visitors.

I would definitely read a lot of reviews of the host before going with them. There have been hosts I was with for 5+ months where everything went great for me and then I started having the same issues others had already written about prior.
One thing I can tell you for sure is most free sites are more than good enough for flat-file site hosting. The issues almost always come in when you are doing heavy PHP/SQL on your site (for example, forums or CMS's).

Both of those also have flat-file versions, so that's really not an issue.

So really it all boils down to what you want to use the host for:

1) Are you looking for something reliable? If so, don't use them.
2) Are you going to use a lot of PHP/SQL? If so, and the site is going to be *live*, it is not suggested to use them.
3) The domain/subdomain thing is not an issue at all. You can use CPanel to link up a domain you purchased elsewhere.
4) If you are just testing various things or are starting out fresh, I would suggest to use them for that purpose. Even with PHP/SQL, there aren't a lot of issues as long as there aren't many visitors.

Ah OK... well, the sites that they're hosting that people put up for showcasting does use Database AND CMSs. And it looks very good and pro too!!! :lol: A good host, I must say...

And OK... what's CPanel? Where do I get it? And how to I link it on to the hosting site?