xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spudd

Making A Simple Platformer In Game Maker. A tutorial.

Well, I've never heard of anyone selling a Game Maker game for anywhere close to $100 USD. I've seen them sell for $20 though, so if you were to sell five copies at that price you would make $100 USD, right? :P

Anyway, most Game Maker games are free, some are even open source. The vast majority of GM users are in it for the fun and experience. However, there are people who sell their games, and they generally do okay with that, so yes, it's totally possible.

I think GameMaker Is Free i have download it but i cannot say that is good .... Because The gfx sucks really:P..Anyway Thnx For Guide It Is Verry helpfull

The graphics don't suck if you don't make sucky graphics; it's not the program, it's the developer. I've seen some game maker games with amazing graphics, so it can be done. Game Maker is only semi-free. The paid version is so much better than lite that you'll want to buy it if you want to develop some serious games. It IS a good tool if used properly, though if you want to develop large, commercial games, you may want to look elsewhere.

Nice share, thanks man. I would like to make my own personal game, even if it just to prove that I could do something, even though you explained everything pretty well. Anyway it seems pretty usefull however, I really like the fact that you put in images and showed the rationalizing behind it. For other people, Blender is an alternative for creating more advanced 3-D games, and I believe it has a small rendering engine in it, but there are some other open source 3D engines. Thats just if anyone else gets good at this and wants to try their hand at something much more difficult

Thanks, glad you found it useful. You can make your own game using this tutorial, it's only so that you can get a feel for the coding aspect of Game Maker. After using it, the idea is that you now have a basic knowledge of the Game Maker functions and variables.

Personally, I never could get Blender figured out; I think it's really better suited for 3D modeling than game making, but that's just my opinion. Unity 3D, on the other hand, is excellent. You can jump right in and start designing games with it, and it's really user friendly. I've still only done a few tests with it, but so far I'm impressed. Best of all, they just released a free version of it, which is great. If Game Maker isn't your think, but you still want to make games, it's worth a look. Here's a link to that: https://unity3d.com/

GameMaker can only make 2D graphical games, try the new software from Thegamemakers.com , it provides safe, fast and easy to use features that help you make 3d game with rooms, levels and multiplayer. You can download a free 30 day trail!

GameMaker can only make 2D graphical games, try the new software from Thegamemakers.com , it provides safe, fast and easy to use features that help you make 3d game with rooms, levels and multiplayer. You can download a free 30 day trail!

That's false; Game Maker has the capacity to make 3D games as well, they just aren't rendered very efficiently. It also CAN make games with rooms, levels, and multiplayer, and you don't have to be on a limited time trial to use it. By the way, your post looks like an advertisement to me.

Why use a game maker software? You never learn anything with visual editors, you gotta take the jump sometime into programming if you want it custom to your specifications so why not start out that way?

loads of help!!!Making A Simple Platformer In Game Maker.

your tutorial was great help. The platformer I was recently trying to make kept having glitches and the player wouldn't move when he was on the platform; only in the air. Your codes really helped... :) 

-reply by jflam

Great Tutorial!

I know that this is an old thread but I wanted to point something out.

Instead of using D&D for the controls you can just add them into the step code:

{   if (keyboard_check(vk_left) && place_free(x-1,y,all*,prec,notme))  x-=4;   if (keyboard_check(vk_right) && place_free(x+1,y,all,prec,notme)) x+=4;   if (keyboard_check(vk_space) && place_free(x,y-1,all,prec,notme)) y-=4;}
* This can also be any object, all is a way to make it test against any object

This code is mainly out of the help docs with a little added in. This is still very basic. You can add on water checking on the jump and make a swim button!