xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton

What's Your Opinion About F1 Racing?

First off, let me tell you that although I watch some of the F1 races, I'm not much into them and don't know the exact working of the sport. I've been following the results of the races for the past three seasons, and I somehow feel that this is not a sport for drivers with talent - it's for drivers who're lucky to get into the right car!Of course it takes talent to drive an F1 car and it's a very difficult job. But why is it that only a handful of drivers win everytime? Why is it that there are only two-three teams that vie for the constructors championship each year? F1 races aren't really on an equal footing for everyone. If the driver is lucky enough to get into a rich team like Ferrari or McLaren, he has a good chance to win some races, even though he may not be the best driver on the circuit. On the other hand, even if the person is the most talented driver but doesn't get into a hi-tech team, he always ends up in the bottom ranks. This is a trend that has been seen for a long time.For example take the case of Giancarlo Fisichella. He hasn't won a lot of times but he's a good driver and has got some impressive results in the past. He got a good car with Renault and his results were good too. But as soon as he moved to the newer team Force India, he began gettting results liek 15th, 17th, etc. Why? Because Force India doesn't have a car good enough to compete with the top teams. During the entire last season, Giancarlo Fisichella couldn't get a single point if I'm not wrong. This goes to show how unrealisitc F1 can be - the better your car, the better your result. Nothing depends on your own talent! (Note: In the latest race, which ended an hour before the starting of this thread, Fisichella got 2nd place, but that was just because the top players were unlucky to get to the bottom...)On another note, how interesting is F1? The cars are good and the feeling is great, but can you bear to watch such long races? The result of most races is known during the qualifying itself, because the top 3 people starting on the grid are most likely to retain their places at the end of the race. There's hardly anything fun to watch! No, I'm not asking for car crashes every ten minutes, I want to see real racing - neck-to-neck contests and such. All we get today is a boring scene with the top 5 blazing away from rest of the crowd, and huge gaps between cars. It's like watching the testing of the cars ;)I really don't know why I won't just stop watching F1 and stop thinking about all this. I guess there's something in the sport that keeps me hooked. But it's not enough to generate much excitement and pleaseure in watching. I don't know how the old F1 races were some years back but today's races are just plain boring.

@ post 1You should try watching Leman's races or European touring car championships or i suppose Australian V8 Super car racing if you can't get access to anything else. I totally agree with every point you raised above, the cars do make such a difference to the race that it seems to be a championship of engineering and technology more so than anything else. I also agree about the point you raised about Fisichichella's driving ability and the possibilities if he was in a better car, if i remember rightly Fernando Alonso is another good driver in that category. Personally id be more interested in F1 if more stats and comparisons were flashing up on the T.V and a little less camera switching to different views of the track. Admittedly i don't watch F1 anymore because it just fails to intrigue me. However if Leman's was on local T.V, I'm sure id be much more keen for that.

Not a big fan of F1 thou. But I think the sports is more interesting after the retirement of Schmaucher. Else, year in year out, we will be seeing him standing at the winner podium. Having one dominant force is bad for any sports.

I agree with kleong, to a point. Formula one is now more interesting, because Ferrari has lost their death grip on the top spot of the podium. Michael was an excellent driver, and got the best out of the car. And Formula 1 was boring when he could win with a lap on nearly everyone else.Now that they have started to change the rules, the sport is more interesting - to a fan like me anyway. Although I do think that some of the changes planned for next year are ridiculous...In response to Simpleton, the races really aren't that long. The time limit for a race is 2 hours, just over the length of a football match. What makes it appear so long is the time that the tv channels spend talking about it beforehand. You don't need a whole hour to tell everyone who is where on the starting grid :) I agree that drivers have to be lucky to have a good car underneat them if they want to win. They also have to be lucky not to crash, or be caught up in another driver's crash. Luck is an important part of any sport. But talent is just as important. And so is strategy.Even starting near enough last, a driver with talent can weave his way into the points - first to eighth get points. Michael could do it. Hamilton can do it. So can Barichello, Massa and Fisichella if they have a good car underneath them. The more points you earn during one season, the better your chances the following one, either in your current team as they will be having more money from sponsors; or at a different team who will have recognised your talent.I think it all comes down to being truly hooked. I love it. Can't stop shouting at the tv screen when the stewarts make a poor decision. can't help but yell when my favourite wins. My partner's the same with football, though I can't see the point of 22 men running after a ball when they all earn enough to buy their own. It's called being a fan i suppose, and if you can't stop watching, Simpleton, maybe you're getting there yourself :(