xisto Community
iGuest

how to stop virus from using the removable drives How To Safely Open Usb Drive Without Affecting Viruses

To add my two cents, to avoid getting viruses from removable media on windows, it's best to remove autorun.inf execution, that whenever you insert your usb key or some mass storage device, that autorun.inf wouldn't be executed, I don't know if programs like that exists, I bet they exist, but you can do this by editing your registry, so whenever you insert your key, nothing will happen.Of course I don't know about if you already have a virus and you give it to the key what should be done, as most people said here, you need to scan and have an antivirus and etc. Just wanted to say how to avoid getting it through removable storage.

My avast always shows a little rectangle saying Your virus database has been updated.So i am always sure that my computer is safe.I can see system files on my USB but after removing they come again.Virus is called dumprep.exe and my computer was dead because i don't had anti-virus program.Then,after formatting my disk i added the USB and again,and i got the virus.Now i haven't problems with viruses but i hate my USB :) I am scared from plugging my USB in computer...In every mode,Safe mode or Normal mode I don't want to try to plug my USB

...to avoid getting viruses from removable media on windows, it's best to remove autorun.inf execution, that whenever you insert your usb key or some mass storage device, that autorun.inf wouldn't be executed...

Has anyone with USB infection problems tried locking the autorun.inf file? That is setting the autorun.inf file to read only. If the malicious things entering the USB are script files then locking the autorun file might work.

My USB for me is dead.I don't want to try to edit any file.That dumprep is very very bad virus and it infected my fathers,my brothers and mine computer only because i needed to share some files from USB or if you want details i needed to copy drivers.I don't want to insert my USB in computer.Is there way to secure my computer from running usb script? I tried using firewall and antivirus but that dumprep is very strong virus.It can't be detected on USB,only on computer.You need to run anti-virus in DOS mode,using Avast's function to remove it.First it looks like dumprep is adobe reader file but then it will copy to system32 and new file called reader_sl.exe will come.Nothing happened with removing the inf file on my flash drive.

how to stop virus from using the removable drives

How To Safely Open Usb Drive Without Affecting Viruses

My system has just been affected by virus .Now whenever I try to delete the virus file a message pops up saying that the file is in use and I cannot delete it.Moreover when I try to remove the usb drive a message says that the usb is in use and cannot be removed safely.

Can anyone tell me what virus this is and how can I remove it without formatting the system.Also how can I stop virus from using the removable drives.

HELP!!

-question by blackpearl

Well you obvoiusly have a crap Anti-Virus or Don't use one at all. Google Kaspersky and Download there 2010 Yes it is a trial but will get rid of the problem. Now scan you whole PC, Maybe leave it on for one night (Wont hurt). It should then come up with all the virus's you have problems occurring. Now if you Like Kaspersky then I recommend buying it. It has been my best Anti-Virus yet! Any problems just make a reply.

There are many suggestions out there for scanning and repair your system.I'am not going that way.As I don't what system or version you are.So let's assume you are using windows xp pro.For the first thing. You should not login to your system with administative right on your system.Use just typical user. Almost all tasks could be done with that account type.This way, you can safely filter most virus infect you system casue there are not way to save datas to the important location such as %windir% or %windir%\system32 folder. But just some user profile and its registry.You may also add yourself to the Power Users Group if you have some application that don't run correctly.(Just by using the Local Users and Groups MMC Console on the Administrative Folder on the Control Panel)Use NTFS permissions.Remove all write and modifiy permissions from all folder that don't need it. Apply this only to folders that really require data change.Things such as games and the like can easier be changed to read only and just some of it (files) need write/modify permission.All these will not prevent you from infecting virus from Internet or elsewhere. But it should be able to prevent you from re-installing the whole OS.

Edited by magiccode9 (see edit history)

For the first thing. You should not login to your system with administative right on your system.Use just typical user. Almost all tasks could be done with that account type.

That's indeed a neat trick :) But most Windows users I know will easily be irritated by the restrictions imposed on this kind of account and would rather prefer the admin account at all times. Well it's safety Vs convenience; the debate goes on....

Why administrative accounts...This viruses are so interesting.There should be a science for viruses called virusography.They always can destroy your computer if you don't have virus with legal serial.Just pay and you will not be irittated.Windows should take care about this anti-virus companies.If they did not exist,viruses will not exist,stupid people will not try to make viruses just for boast.If account is with no right:-virus will not have right,-but it will infect your computer,-do not worry- user will not have right to remove the virus

If your HDD is mounted it can be infected by virus unknown to your anti virus. So we need to check USB WITHOUT mounting HDD! By disabling autorun you will postpone virus start till you click on USB icon.

Hi,Thanks sharing your valuable suggestion ,best thing is to scan in safe mode, that way no programs are running, also some anti-virus such as avast will let you schedual a scan when windows starts, when you first install avast it will give you that option. avast has a free home edition by the way all you need is to registered to get a free license, otherwise you can use it for 60 days.Nice to meet youVickyMilza