xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chrismiller3404

Thunderstorms

In my opinion, thunderstorms are the darn coolest thing in the world. xD I love the light shows that are put on and all that jazz. Its so nice. And then just the way everything is afterwards. I love the scent of the air. =pAnyone else love thunderstorms?

I agree, thunderstorms a very cool, the rain and lightning.I love looking at the pictures some people have taken of lighning, some very amazing shots. Id love to some day learn how to take pics of lightning and get lucky enough to take a really cool pic to share with other lightning photo fans.I find the smell of rain is so soothing, i always wondered if the was a relationship between rain and humans. Someone once told me the human body s like 70% water or something like that, and with that in mind maybe there is some.... deeper bond ...between humans and rain, as we breathe in the moisture and energy of the air, maybe this theory is only my imagination, but having said that rain definately has an effect on me.

Thunderstorm are formed when moist unstable air is lifted up into the atmosphere causing condensation and release of latent heat. The process of lifting up moist air is caused by either unequal warming of surface of the Earth or topographic obstruction of air flow or through dynamic lifting because of the presence of a frontal zone. When the air lifts up, the rising air begins to cool and reaches the dew point resulting in condensation and the formation of cumulus cloud. The whole process takes place in an unstable atmosphere. At the height of about 20 km above the Earth's surface the severe weather associated with some of these clouds includes hail, strong winds, thunder, lightning, intense rain and tornados. There are two type of common types of thunderstorms. Air mass thunderstorms which occur in the mid-latitudes in summer and an equator all year long and thunderstorms associated with the mid-latitude cyclone cold fronts and dry lines. The second one has most severe weather assisted with it. However the most common type of thunderstorms is the air mass storm.

In my opinion, thunderstorms are the darn coolest thing in the world. xD I love the light shows that are put on and all that jazz. Its so nice. And then just the way everything is afterwards. I love the scent of the air. =p

Anyone else love thunderstorms?

me too i like the effects of thunderstorm specialy when its darks :)

but although we loves thunderstorm it is important to prepare our self for their potentials danger!

we know the danger of thuderstorm will brought to us :D

tips during thunderstorm:

metal objects such us propane tanks and equipment, tractors and telephone lines can conduct electricity, Do not go near them

if you are caught outside and cannot get into a safe dwelling. find a low lying open place far away from trees, poles or metal objects, make sure the place you choose is not subject to flooding,

if you are out side and can hear thunder you are clode enough to the storm to be struck by lightning, go to a safe place/shelter emmidiately

I love thunderstorms. It is an incredible experience to be able to see one without having a blocked view. I don't often see much more than flashes because of the abundance of trees but on the few times I've been in a spot to see them it is an amazing display of nature. What amazes me even more than the beauty of a thunder storm is the ignorance of people who deny their power and the danger. I've talked to people who laugh at me when I warn them to be in inside during a thunderstorm. I can't imagine why anyone would be so oblivious to the fact that people who are outside during storms are getting zapped like insects and trees are blowing up around them -- and think it's safe? Sure the chances of getting electrocuted by lightning might be slim, but there's no sense risking your life for no reason. Don't forget to unplug your expensive appliances/hardware during a thunder storm. It's no myth that it can damage anything that's plugged in. I've seen light bulbs explode glass everywhere and I've seen my PC modem die because I didn't expect having the modem cable hooked up to hurt it. Even if the lightning doesn't hurt your stuff, the rapid "on/off" caused by power failure can damage equipment. Had to repair a diode in my Satellite receiver after the power went on and off rapidly and I didn't have time to unplug everything. There was an $80 power bar hooked up too. I wouldn't trust those things too much....Has anyone ever noticed that their body tingles during a thunder storm? It seems to happen when I'm using a computer. There must be electricity in the air or something or it's running through my keyboard. I know that sounds weird, but using a computer during or before a thunder storm makes my arms tingle! (I know I shouldn't be using a PC in a thunder storm -- but sometimes I risk it if I'm busy).

thunder storm is created when to cloud get collieds and then negetiv and positive carges taking place. it contains very and very high voltage which cause deth to a person who comes in contact it.thunderstorm is vry very destructive it destroy evwry thing .

I am a big thunderstorm fan too!When I was just an itty bitty kid, at night if it was thunderstorming, my mom would come in and close my bedroom curtains, so I wouldn't be afraid of all the lightening and thunder. Just as soon as she left the room, I'd jump out of bed and open them back up so I could watch the lightening. I love to be outside, like on a covered porch to watch them now. The front porch of the house is a great place to see them from, as the house is just nearly at the top of a hill, with a decent view to start with. The frount door of the kennel is usually good too, though the sound is extremely intense, especially if there is hail in the storm, it's really loud on the metal roof. I have of course, had to learn to remember not to hang my arm over the metal fence panels while watching the lightening. Got a bit of a tingly once when lightening hit the ground nearby. Not cool.

oh man, this is my kinda thread :)I think besides a good hurricane, which is nothing but a bunch of very complex thunderstorms. a good ole Meso Cyclone is one of the best. True they can cause tornadoes large hail and damaging winds. But just the site of the lighting and hearing the pounding rain and the thunder. Being here in New Jersey USA, we have our share of thunderstorms in the mid summer. But I grew up in the southern part of the US, Mississippi. There they would form from Late February til about November. I can sit back for hours just watching a thunderstorm on radar too. watching how it will form in it's stages. Mother Nature is sure a wonderful lady when she can make something so dangerous yet so beautiful

i like to get outside during a lightning storm. seeing the uniqueness of each bolt of lightning and the deafening sounds of the thunder is my idea of a good time. that is until they start hiting 20 feet from me. that's when i have to go inside. i remember one bad night, i was driving in pitch blackness on a highway that i could only drive 5mph because of the storm i was in. couldn't see two feet ahead of me and can barely make out the road. i couldn't pull over because i couldn't make out where the road started or ended and missouri roads don't really give you a place to pull over. it's more like a ditch on the side of the road. so i just continued on hoping no cars would be stopped ahead of me because i really wouldn't have been able to see them. it was worse than being it dense fog.

lightening was hitting everywhere around me ever 5 seconds. it was the most spectacular show i ever witnessed about 6 years ago or so. i was in my car but felt my arm hairs lifting straight up and my hair on my head moving around. the strangest part though is i didn't hear any thunder. NONE. the most spectacular light show with no thunder. i believe the lightening saved my life that night because it allowed me to see where the road was.

i have been a big fan of thunderstorms ever since i was a kid, but i have been caught in the middle of them before like on a lake in a float tube with my flyrod. or walking through an open plane during a storm directly over head because i had to get to work 1/4 mile away. scarey scarey scarey to say the least. but an amazing experience when you live through it :o

oh man, this is my kinda thread :)I think besides a good hurricane, which is nothing but a bunch of very complex thunderstorms. a good ole Meso Cyclone is one of the best. True they can cause tornadoes large hail and damaging winds. But just the site of the lighting and hearing the pounding rain and the thunder. Being here in New Jersey USA, we have our share of thunderstorms in the mid summer. But I grew up in the southern part of the US, Mississippi. There they would form from Late February til about November.

I can sit back for hours just watching a thunderstorm on radar too. watching how it will form in it's stages. Mother Nature is sure a wonderful lady when she can make something so dangerous yet so beautiful

I also like thunderstorms and I like watching them but two years ago our house had a direct hit by lightning that blew our entire internal electric system out (all of our wires got fried and it was ~$2k to get them replaced). Aside from that I enjoy them. It smells really good outside during T-storms too, :)