xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chrismiller3404

Your Blood Type?

lol, I rarely make posts here without knowing what I'm talking about before hand. If I don't know something I'll admit I don't know it, or admit it's a guess. Otherwise, if I don't know I will research ahead of time.
That information actually amazed me though. So it seems blood type works like other genes. You can have two blonde parents that have an offspring with brown hair. So blood type seems to work the same way.

I'm O-Neg but I think both of my parents are something else.

I'm suprised at how much you know... you seem to be like a walking encyclopedia or something...
And I won't be suprised to know that blood type is passed though parent to offspring...

I mean, haven't you heard of the expression: "It runs in the blood."
(or something like that)

My whole families O, but I don't know whether we're positive or negative.

I'm suprised at how much you know... you seem to be like a walking encyclopedia or something...

And I won't be suprised to know that blood type is passed though parent to offspring...

I mean, haven't you heard of the expression: "It runs in the blood."

(or something like that)

My whole families O, but I don't know whether we're positive or negative.

It does get passed on, as follows:

Posted Image

I got this picture from elsewhere. If I remember right, "r" deals with being color blind (?). Regardless, it all works the same.

So on the left you have one parent and on the top you have the other. Which one is the mother/father is irrelevant for this.

What you do is take the letters and add them into each box. As you can see, the top left has RR because up is R and left is R. And follow that through the chart.

Capital means dominant, lower case means recessive (recessive = won't show if there is a dominant).

The genotypic ratio here is 3:1, as 3 boxes have at least one capital R. So if this is color blind, these parents' offspring should include one color-blind (if I got that right) child for every 4 children.

Blood type is passed on the same way, so instead or Rr and Rr it would be something like Bo and Bo. You would come up with BB, Bo, Bo, oo. In this case, o is recessive, so it is the weaker gene. Therefore 1 in 4 kids would have "o" type blood and the other 3 would have "b."

Actually every gene is passed down this way (hair color, eye color, skin color, everything).

In terms of how someone with B blood can pass the "o" gene, it is because with B type blood you could have BB or Bo. If both parents have Bo then there is the possibility of the offspring getting the oo.

However, if one is BB and one is Bo, you run into BB, BB, BB, Bo. In this case all four children will be dominantly B, therefore every child will have type B blood.

Hopefully this helps explain it to you a little better. If any of it is confusing or anything just ask, ;).

Thanks, No she mine , share a a lot of family traits that for sure. I look at that site link tha twa sent and it was down so will have to try again later.When i asked before about it i was told if one of are parents or grand parent had ) it can be passed down, but non of them do that is none of.I tried looking it up but all the lab talk lost me.

I have O negative blood. At least I'm pretty sure I do - I should probably have it typed myself to be sure. I really should become a blood donor, since O negative can be given to anyone. The only thing that sucks is that we can only receive O negative blood, but luckily it's not a rare type. My Mom had a teacher in school that was on a registry at the local hospital because he had O negative blood and if they needed blood for someone, and enough time had passed since his last donation, they would call him and he would go there and give blood whenever they needed him to.

type o kid type B parentYour Blood Type?

Wendy 2 type B's can have B or O kids, it means the B is missing in the child. 

B + B = B or O  (No A)

A + A = A or O (No B).

2 O's will only make O's. (A/B is missing)

2 AB's will not make O (A, B or AB only)

Blood types A or B are dominant,  while O is recessive. So your B and your ex- B could both be BO genetically,  giving your kids the  ability to be B or O.  (My ex and I are both A, I know 2 of the 3 kids are O) 

Very occasionally this system fails and a child is produced a genetic abnormality or mutant. 

-reply by LCoastMom

blood typeYour Blood Type?Replying to wendyladyI know it's been a while since you asked the question, but here goes...In order for two B parents to have an O child, they both have to be carriers of O blood type. You inherit two characteristics, one from your mother, one from you father. B is dominant over O, so you are both BO carriers, but the B is dominant, so it is the trait that is present. You had a 75% chance of having a child with B, 25% chance of having one with O. Confusing as heck, but that's how it works.Your possibilities would have been 25% - child with BB (or simply B), 50% - child with BO (would have been a carrier for O, but would have been blood type B), and 25% OO (or simply O) B O (mother)B BB BO childrenO BO OOFATHER-reply by Rhonda

Mines is B,

The really weird part is my kid from first marriage is O and her Father is B same as me, not sure how I ended up with a O for a kid.

If any one as an idea please share with me. And no I never slept around on my ex-hubby , thou he did on me hence the Ex.

There was no switch in the hospital. The child is definitely yours. :-)

This has already been answered but it seems like a lot of people could benefit from understanding this so that they don't suspect an affair just because of a surprising blood type in their child.

Basically O is a recessive gene and B is dominant (A is also dominant). Even if you and her father and all of her grandparents are not O, O is still able to hide there in your genes. Just like a family of brown eyed people suddenly having a blue eyed child, it is less likely but possible for those recessive genes to pair up and show up and surprise everyone!

Each person will get one blood type gene from each parent. Knowing this, one of your parents gave you a B gene and one of them gave you an O gene (which we know because your daughter received it). In genetics, usually the recessive genes are put in lower case and the dominant gene in uppercase. Your genes are like this: Bo but B is dominant so that's what you know you have. Your ex-husband is also Bo.

Blood chart picture

Here is a drawing (just replace the A for a B for this image), though I know the science is confusing to you, what happens is that your daughter receives only half of her genes from you and half from her father. If she gets a B gene from you or her father then she is B blood type. The odds favor this and the likely-hood of her getting B blood was 75%. There was a 25% chance that you and her father both just happened to pass along that O gene that was hiding in your genes. O blood is the most common blood type in the world so this is extremely common and a majority of the world's population have at least 1 O gene (obviously not people with AB blood since they only have an A gene and a B gene). Your daughter landed in that 25% category and received an O gene from both of her type B parents.

In the future your daughter can only pass on an O gene, since O is recessive there are no other blood types hiding in her genes. If she has children with someone else with type O blood, 100% of those children will have type O blood. Also, if you marry a man with type O blood, the chances of having a type O child with him is 50% (and 50% to have a type Bochild (which will be typed as just B by the hospital). If you marry someone with type A blood, it is possible that your child will be AB, Bo, Oo or even Ao. All four are possible if you have a child with someone with Ao blood. Even if you still don't understand, at least you will know to expect this.

Wow! I didn't know this! Thanks for explaining. So, it could mean that I could be Bo, but what is the + and - means?

There was no switch in the hospital. The child is definitely yours. :-)

This has already been answered but it seems like a lot of people could benefit from understanding this so that they don't suspect an affair just because of a surprising blood type in their child.

Basically O is a recessive gene and B is dominant (A is also dominant). Even if you and her father and all of her grandparents are not O, O is still able to hide there in your genes. Just like a family of brown eyed people suddenly having a blue eyed child, it is less likely but possible for those recessive genes to pair up and show up and surprise everyone!

Each person will get one blood type gene from each parent. Knowing this, one of your parents gave you a B gene and one of them gave you an O gene (which we know because your daughter received it). In genetics, usually the recessive genes are put in lower case and the dominant gene in uppercase. Your genes are like this: Bo but B is dominant so that's what you know you have. Your ex-husband is also Bo.

Blood chart picture

Here is a drawing (just replace the A for a B for this image), though I know the science is confusing to you, what happens is that your daughter receives only half of her genes from you and half from her father. If she gets a B gene from you or her father then she is B blood type. The odds favor this and the likely-hood of her getting B blood was 75%. There was a 25% chance that you and her father both just happened to pass along that O gene that was hiding in your genes. O blood is the most common blood type in the world so this is extremely common and a majority of the world's population have at least 1 O gene (obviously not people with AB blood since they only have an A gene and a B gene). Your daughter landed in that 25% category and received an O gene from both of her type B parents.

In the future your daughter can only pass on an O gene, since O is recessive there are no other blood types hiding in her genes. If she has children with someone else with type O blood, 100% of those children will have type O blood. Also, if you marry a man with type O blood, the chances of having a type O child with him is 50% (and 50% to have a type Bochild (which will be typed as just B by the hospital). If you marry someone with type A blood, it is possible that your child will be AB, Bo, Oo or even Ao. All four are possible if you have a child with someone with Ao blood. Even if you still don't understand, at least you will know to expect this.

Edited by iAssistant (see edit history)