xisto Community
wendylady

Eazy Homemade In A Bag Icecream

Fun and yummy This will make around one Scoop of icecream. I do this as a fun and yummy treat for my kids. Its easy and if done right mess free to clean up.What ya need: 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 cup milk or half & half 1/4 teaspoon vanilla ( you can use your fav food flavoring if you like) 6 tablespoons rock salt ( table salt workes to just use more of it) 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc) 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag Ice cubes How to make it: 1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the salt. Seal the bag. 2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it. 3. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully. 4. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes. 5. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!

Certainly seems easy enough to be worth a try, isn't that a lot of salt? 6 tablespoons? It sure seems like a lot!

You don't eat the salt. It is with the Ice in the outer bag. The edible stuff is in the small inner bag. The salt affects the Ice cubes. They stay cooler longer with the Salt. Try it both ways (with/without salt) and you will notice a difference.

Ah I thought you ate the salt lol... didn't read the instructions good enough I guess! Makes sense now.. will try it tomorrow.

hehe , ya the salt mixs with ice not your tummy :)

From yahoo:

How does adding salt to ice make it colder?

https://answers.yahoo.com/

It doesn't make the ice colder. Salt lowers the freezing point of water. Normally water freezes at 32 degrees Farenheit/0 celsius. The addition of salt will lower the temperature at which water freezes so that the salt water solution is still a liquid below 32 degrees Farenheit/0 celsius. This effect will work for several degrees below the normal freezing point of water. So, this is why you put salt on your driveway in winter and the ice will melt, because the freezing point has been lowered.

Other fun thing to do is if you have a hamster ball, make sure it clean and put the bags in it and let the kids tossit around and roll it to each other. give em good exerzise before you fill them with goodies.