xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kobra500

Just A Little Rant

Now I know I said I wouldn't but this isn't directed at anyone here, so I will anyway, but heres what I hate, people who register domains, don't use them, don't sell them, don't let them run out, just keep them. I'm back to take advantage of Mycent system at Xisto and was looking for a domain, I won't say what it is. But then I think, it would be nice to have a smaller version (3 letters), but its bound to be taken, so I type in Domain.com, taken, then the same domain.org and loe and behold, nothing I struck gold. or did I?No I didn't, after having a quick peep on a registar I found it to be taken, .co.uk was also taken. As well as .net and all the other TLD that are at least worth it. I have a look at the who.is the domain is owned by some dutch company that don't use it, its not even worth me emailing and hoping they'll let it run out, they'll probably only renew it, or try and sell it to me for ?100 or something on sedo. But now, i'm being hippocritical because I have unused domains (I don't even have a hosting account) but at least I'm not renewing them. But really, whats the point, its $10 a year out of your bank account when you could save that money and give it to someone who would have as much use out of it as you planned on having. Talk about getting your hopes up just to have them knocked down again.

I know how you feel. There have been plenty of domains I have looked to purchase, some even I thought to be unique. Then when I find that it is taken I take a look at the website that this domain is directed to, it's not there. It is usually some empty page or some sort of advertisement. People usually buy a bunch of bulk domains and place the same ads or search engine on there where for every 1/1000 people they get to click on one, they get a few cents. Sure it may build up because they bought a lot of domains, they may even sell some of the domains as well for even more money. This profit for them is quite a hassle and a nuisance for everyone else looking to build a website for themselves because not much is gained for anyone else on those pages, only those owning them.

Oh man. I feel you. Well I don't, you know what I mean. Greed. Simple as it is. And you can't fight it. You just have to go around it. I have a few name ideas for a site, but, I bet they'll be taken. And if they aren't, they will probably have to suck anyway. Damn you, internetz. Damn you.

so I type in Domain.com, taken, then the same domain.org and loe and behold, nothing I struck gold. or did I?

That's what happened to me with truefusion.com. Apparently, CatchyDomains took it and are asking an absurd price for it, but truefusion.org was available—so i took it. Though i'd rather have a .com address, i'll take .org before i lose the chance—they practically mean the same thing in their purpose, though i'd rather that my website not be perceived as an organization.

shoulda woulda coulda. boo hoo. you got there too late. now you know better. screw any domain that doesn't end with .com anyway. be creative and think of another name. big deal. you are crying because someone is making money and taking your domain name idea and actually thinking of it before you do. well i hope ya got it in ya to beat the others to the punch next time. what you are talking about has been going on forever. that's why the names are so scarce. now, buying any good domain has an advantage besides the name itself thanks for google. a 2 year old domain name will get better results in the search engines than one that just got it's cherry popped. so instead of $100 that you think they are worth, try doubling that figure for any domain name.

Now I know I said I wouldn't but this isn't directed at anyone here, so I will anyway, but heres what I hate, people who register domains, don't use them, don't sell them, don't let them run out, just keep them. I'm back to take advantage of Mycent system at Xisto and was looking for a domain, I won't say what it is. But then I think, it would be nice to have a smaller version (3 letters), but its bound to be taken, so I type in Domain.com, taken, then the same domain.org and loe and behold, nothing I struck gold. or did I?
No I didn't, after having a quick peep on a registar I found it to be taken, .co.uk was also taken. As well as .net and all the other TLD that are at least worth it. I have a look at the who.is the domain is owned by some dutch company that don't use it, its not even worth me emailing and hoping they'll let it run out, they'll probably only renew it, or try and sell it to me for Ł100 or something on sedo. But now, i'm being hippocritical because I have unused domains (I don't even have a hosting account) but at least I'm not renewing them. But really, whats the point, its $10 a year out of your bank account when you could save that money and give it to someone who would have as much use out of it as you planned on having. Talk about getting your hopes up just to have them knocked down again.